RIP Dave Mirra

chip

RIP Dave Mirra
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:02 am »
Sad day - just came across this today. I used to race BMX as a kid so I followed this and still enjoy watching it. Loved to watch him compete in the X games on TV every chance I could.

www.bmxnews.com/2016/02/dave-mirra-1974-2016/

stlrman

Re: RIP Dave Mirra
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:24 am »
Very sad!! A wife and two kids . A shame

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:36 am »
That's terrible. We always think of icons like Dave Mirra as being these strong, happy, confident people that are somehow immune from things that plague many of us. RIP Dave.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2016, 04:14 am »
I saw that.   That is two huge losses for biking this week.  Kelly McGarry was lost this week as well (33 out on a bike ride in a remote area: cardiac said the initial reports).  Kelly was a hard core kiwi downhill/free rider that won or atleast was 2nd in the last few Redbull Rampage.  He did the backflip over a 70' foot canyon jump.

jlawson1977

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:01 pm »
He grew up in my hometown of Chittenango, NY, albeit several years after me.  Dave was quite the local legend and was best buddies with my nephew Matt.  They lived just a few houses apart.  I've seen him ride and followed his career closely, though I didn't BMX.  He was pretty awesome on a mountain bike also!  So sad, what a loss...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2016, 01:11 am »
Very sad indeed.  He was a neighbor of my sister some years ago before her divorce forced her to move from that neighborhood.  He was a real icon in Greenville, NC, so many kids looked up to him.