Fury/Klitschko and Canelo/Cotto

dB Cooper

Fury/Klitschko and Canelo/Cotto
« on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:14 am »
That fight was BAD. And by 'bad', I mean Don King-1980s-WBA-Free-TV bad, not the complimentary kind of bad. I knew something was wrong right away because Klitschko was leaning away from his opponent even when he was throwing punches...which wasn't very often- he threw something like six punches in each of the first two rounds. I've never seen anything like that (the leaning back, I mean) in a championship level prizefight. He looked every bit the shot fighter. Guess it's not so easy when you don't have a 6 inch height advantage and a 10 inch reach advantage for once.

And Fury is nothing special in my opinion. He's just big- and very awkward. And he got a shot against a champ who brought nothing into the ring. It was more that Klitschko lost than it was that Fury won. And I don't know whether that is because Klitschko is shot or was always a front runner. I suspect a little of each. Both camps are talking rematch. I think I'll skip it.

Cotto is another guy who should hang them up. At least he came in prepared to fight, unlike Klitschko. He's just too small to compete at the highest level in the middle weight division. Canelo didn't seem to be bothered buy anything Cotto hit him with.  And Miguel can't make a lower weight than 154 so maybe it's time to pack it in. Not exactly a banner year for Freddie Roach now that I think of it, with both of his marquee fighters (Pacquiao and Cotto) losing one sided decisions.

But Canelo vs GGG should be good while it lasts.

mjosef

Re: Fury/Klitschko and Canelo/Cotto
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:27 am »
Klitschko looked like Evander Holyfield in his waning years when he just couldn't pull the trigger when he saw the openings. Aging for a prize fighter comes on quick and sudden...Evander, RoyJ...Klitschko at 39 is now there.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:30 am »
The Imam/Granados fight made the weekend of Boxing worthwhile.  I've never seen Granados fight before, but if that's his style, he may be my new fav - replacing the now retired Glen Johnson.  I love guys that just get in your grill and swing, then swing some more.  I used to love the way Johnson would get on guys like a cheap suit and never give them a chance to breathe.  That was how Granados fought the heavy favorite Imam.

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:48 am »
I am not a big boxing fan but I watched both those fights.  The Fury/Klltschko match does not even qualify as a fight! The Canelo/Cotto was better even though it was one-sided. Cotto seemed to box well but his punches just did not seem to bother Canelo.

My favorite recent fight though was the Vargas/Miura fight. Both fighters with hearts of champions... going toe-to-toe, trading punches and getting knocked down.