New House

fridays

New House
« on: 16 Jan 2017, 02:09 am »
I'm looking at buying a new house, the only place for my stereo is a 22X24 room addition, with a 10 foot vault would this be a nightmare to setup a system?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2017, 03:29 am by fridays »

roscoe65

Re: New House
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2017, 02:23 am »
Most of us would kill for a 20 x 24 foot room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2017, 01:02 pm »
roscoe is right, it seems that most "over gear" for the given space (sometimes to the point of being completely ridiculous). 

Don't like the width being (apparently) exactly 2 times the height (depends on the vaulting) due to echo reinforcement.  You could narrow the room for 2-channel use by building interior false walls, but recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to get an background on ideal room shapes (the room seems better suited for AV).  Another consideration is acoustic isolation (both from outside and inside).  Is this a new build or a "new to you" house?  With a vaulted ceiling I assume it is a 2nd floor or more likely by it's size  above a garage in which case acoustic isolation concerns would be minimal.

If above a garage how is it heated/cooled and is it finished off/insulated?  Long duct runs can be very inefficient (or if not noisy).  Where is the house located?  A mini-split system could be an ideal solution.  If a 2nd floor, recommend loose insulation in an extra set of floor joists (called sleepers) since you seem to have plenty of headroom.  The sleepers can rest on neoprene pads, so as not to transmit sound down.  And if 2nd floor, also suggest an insulated fiberglass door with weather seal at the room entrance.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2017, 01:08 pm »
I'm looking at buying a new house, the only place for my stereo is a 22X24 room addition, with a 10 foot vault would this be a nightmare to setup a system?

Thanks

That is not a nightmare. A 1K system will sound great in that room.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2017, 06:30 pm »
Definitely not a nightmare. The fact that it's large is better than the fact that 2 of the dimensions are harmonically related (10,20) and the 3rd dimension is similar (22).

Like all rooms, it will require a good treatment strategy to sound its best, but you have plenty of space there to get the right treatments in.  :thumb:

fridays

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2017, 06:40 pm »
Thanks for the responses, will take some time to educate myself on sound,
This is an existing house the room is an addition with a crawl space, the vault is pretty undramatic, it vaults from 8 foot to 10 foot
I'm actually looking to downsize, retirement within the next couple years and being single a sound room is of top priority

Thanks Again