Which Grado?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Which Grado?
« on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:42 am »
So I'm looking to pick up a set of Prestige line Grados.  Pretty sure the SR60's are out, thinking SR80 or 125.  The questions are would you go with the new e series or save the money and grab one of the old i series at closeout prices?  Secondly it's the higher price worth it for the SR125's?  Would you move up even higher in the line, which would surely mean the i series.  I'm hoping for a good buy at this weekend's Capfest audio show on whatever I pick.  Lastly, just to totally confuse the issue, is there something else in the price range you'd buy ahead of the Grado's?

milford3

Re: Which Grado?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:50 am »
I own the RS1i's and just love them.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:10 am »
A quick look of the amazon reviews - I'd suggest the e series due to the dampening among other improvements. It looks like - though I could be wrong -  that they've gotten rid of the 125. The 225e is the replacement. Looking at them makes me want to replace my old Grados with that 225e.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:37 am »
Thanks for the fast replies gentlemen.

No, they've always had both the 125 and the 225 models in the lineup.

Gee thanks Milford, so this means you're sending me your RS1s for the price of the SR80s.  Or perhaps sending me the money for the difference do I can share your joy in owning such a fine pair of headphones.  Or perhaps that anything less than the RS1s is not worth buying. Or that the i series is the way to go?  Do they even have a RS1e?  I'm so confused, maybe I should just make a martini and forget the whole thing.   :wink:

brooklyn

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:53 am »
Just buy something..... What could go wrong?  :icon_lol:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:45 am »
I'm kinda thinking that.  I was looking for both an inexpensive entry into on the ear, open phones, and something that may satisfy my needs for sq in the near term if I like the fit and the sound.  So it's more like how far up the Grado road I'm going to drive.

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2014, 04:48 am »
I hope to be getting a pair of Grado’s in the near future for my computer base system.
Not sure what model yet.   

The other headphones I would love to try are the HiFiman HE-400’s
I would love to hear the planner sound with headphones but that will
have to wait awhile. 

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:25 pm »
Hi Dan, is there a particular reason to want to buy Grado?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:44 pm »
Just that I'm looking for that type of sound and that type of headphone.  I'm not stuck on any brand, thus why I also said I'd entertain other suggestions along the same lines.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:45 pm »
Just that I'm looking for that type of sound and that type of headphone.  I'm not stuck on any brand, thus why I also said I'd entertain other suggestions along the same lines.
I love my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog.  It's the only headphone that does "it" for me.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2014, 05:23 pm »
Maybe I should have been more clear in stating the budget for headphones this month is $100 -$200

brooklyn

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2014, 05:59 pm »
Maybe I should have been more clear in stating the budget for headphones this month is $100 -$200

Actually you did with the models you have listed.

"Pretty sure the SR60's are out, thinking SR80 or 125."

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2014, 07:19 pm »
I'd go with an E version because Grado is sort of in catch up mode I think. Grado's have always been good but lately are being passed over for newer tech, newer looking stuff.....I was given a pair of 125's and changed the earpads day one to the better more comfy bowl ones for like $20 and it made a huge difference in comfort and bass response etc....
 If your set on Grado's go up as high in the line of E's as you can afford and if they don't come with bowls (I forget the actual name, everyone sells them for about $20) get those and enjoy.....I'm lusting after some PS500's myself but now they are $600 so I'm still lusting....LOL.

Thats my 3 cents....LOL :dance:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2014, 07:47 pm »
Thanks Brooklyn, I'll be listening to HE400s this weekend and will report back on the sound.

Thanks Ed, I know about the ear cup issues, you can get copies on eBay for $9.  That's what I'm stressing about, how far up theline I want to go.  There's a point of diminishing returns with all things Grado.  Where the added price brings nominal returns and you should have spent the money moving upmarket in category rather than in the same line.  Where that is in the Prestige headphone line I don't know yet.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2014, 09:25 pm »
This guy seems to do a good job of reviewing the 125e's.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR125e-Headphones/dp/B00L1NTJAW/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406323028&sr=1-7&keywords=grado+headphones

The 225e's have the bowl pads (125's don't) so you won't have to dish out the extra bucks for them. I'd go for the 225's - which I probably will next year.

I am curious about the HE400's too. Waiting to hear your impressions on those.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2014, 10:06 pm »
If I remember correctly the breakout point was a 25 unit for sure and is based entirely on listeners opinions.  I personally would do 125 or 225's if that was my budget,  the highest 25 unit until the PS500's would and is my plan when I grab more.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2014, 11:22 pm »
This guy seems to do a good job of reviewing the 125e's.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR125e-Headphones/dp/B00L1NTJAW/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406323028&sr=1-7&keywords=grado+headphones

The 225e's have the bowl pads (125's don't) so you won't have to dish out the extra bucks for them. I'd go for the 225's - which I probably will next year.

I am curious about the HE400's too. Waiting to hear your impressions on those.

Good points both by Char and Ed.  The Amazon review guy had good points, saying the 225e is just a refinement of the 125e and the real jump was from the 80e to the 125e.  From past experience at this show any sales on Grado phones will be sans listening.  If I can get a good discount I think maybe the 225e's would be a good purchase, if they're holding on to retail I think the 125e's are the better value.  Opinions on that assessment?  (Yes, I know it's my decision, but if it were you)  Thanks again to all for your thoughts.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2014, 12:48 am »
Thanks Brooklyn, I'll be listening to HE400s this weekend and will report back on the sound.

Thanks Ed, I know about the ear cup issues, you can get copies on eBay for $9.  That's what I'm stressing about, how far up theline I want to go.  There's a point of diminishing returns with all things Grado.  Where the added price brings nominal returns and you should have spent the money moving upmarket in category rather than in the same line.  Where that is in the Prestige headphone line I don't know yet.
A lot of people seem to consider the 225 to be the best "pound for pound".

brooklyn

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:28 am »
Just in case anyone is interested, I just saw this ad for the Hifi-Man HE-400 headphones at Music Direct for $299.00

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-80653-hifiman-he-400-headphones.aspx

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
So here's the lowdown on a few desirable headphones I listened to at Canmania.  The Hifi Man HE400's are soon to be the HE400i and I was able to listen to the prototype on a couple of amps.  With a Hifi Man headamp, not sure of the model, they were both lush and detailed with a wonderful soundstage, sweet treble and solid bass.  Just about everything one could ever want from a headphone.  The Hifi Man people said the difference was so great between the 400i and the 400 that they think they really should have made a new model number.  Then I listened to them with a Heed amp and everything changed.  Thin and a little too bright, only an okay soundstage, still a nice sound, but not the same.  Lesson is definitely listen with the amp you plan to use.  $399 when available in a few weeks, easily the best bargain.

The Fostex based Alpha Dog had a beautiful tonality that was hard to match.  For a closed phone it had a remarkable soundstage.  For a closed headphone, which was the deal breaker for me, just a little too closed in for my tastes.  And the weight of the phones, very heavy on the head.  A very, very nice sounding product, images had a wonderful sense of air about them, I'm sure many will find this headphone just perfect, just didn't push all of the right buttons for me.  About $600.

The Oppo PM2 prototype was something else.  As heavy as the Dogs were was how light the Oppo's were.  Tonality, detail, bass, sweetness, soundstaging, imaging, all the catch phrases there in spades, and unbelievably comfortable.  I could wear these all day.  Price no object, I would pick these easy.  But price of course is a consideration, so at $6-700 I would have to think long and hard about the extra scratch.  Production models should be ready in a month.

So what about the Grados?  They had no Prestige models either on display or for sale, major disappointment.  They had some higher end models so what the hay, why not PS1000's.  As beautiful sounding as you would imagine $2000 phones should sound.  Gigantic soundstage, tight and powerful bass, etc.  But way too high priced for this field.

So now even more of a conundrum.  Not a bad problem though, a choice between a couple of excellent phones a few hundred dollars apart.  The HE400i is a fabulous product that I can save my pennies for when it comes out, or grab the Grados now, whichever model, and wait awhile for the Hifi Man phones.  I'll definitely own both of these soon.