NwAvGuy: ODAC Released

adydula

• Restricted
Re: NwAvGuy: ODAC Released
« Reply #40 on: 16 Aug 2012, 02:00 am »
charmerci...

Thanks and hello again.

Yes you can buy it in one box from them or do it yourself.

If you do it by yourself you can remove the batteries and mount the ODAC where the batteries were located. They use some small plastic or nylon screws as standoffs...this allows the ODAC to fit in the original O2 amp case...but you loose the pure DC battery mode if thats  important to you.

There is no room this way for RCA jacks. and the USB input is on the back of the amp as well as the mini-jack...a little awkward.

I am building a O2amp and will buy another ODAC and put them in a larger enclosure with batteries and AC as well and RCA jacks and a larger headphone jack...

All the best
Alex
 :D

charmerci

« Reply #41 on: 17 Aug 2012, 12:08 am »

I am building a O2amp and will buy another ODAC and put them in a larger enclosure with batteries and AC as well and RCA jacks and a larger headphone jack...

Well, consider me informed!

I'm sure you're new amp-dac box will look cool also.  :thumb:

fenderf4i

« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2012, 01:28 pm »
I could not be happier with my ODAC. I ended up purchasing another one to build into the ODA when it's released!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm »
My ODAC is due to arrive next week from Canada.  Looking forward to it.   :thumb:

I purchased from http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-poutine/

saisunil

« Reply #44 on: 30 Aug 2012, 01:03 pm »
Would love to hear your impressions ... I am getting interested in the desktop version

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 30 Aug 2012, 01:20 pm »
I just finished integrating my second ODAC into a box with the O2 amp I just built....easy to wire up, cut 2 traces on the bottom on the 02 amp board.
I got the box, and endplates from JDS Labs...mounted the ODAC per the instructions without any batteries, so this desktop amp is AC only.
I ordered a AC to AC adapter with a higher voltage/current capability.

Worked first time, sounds great.

So we have one with batteries that I can move around and utilize the separate cased ODAC or use my HRT MSii+ USB DAC...and the desktop version which is just
for cans.

After listening to this one last night for 30 minutes or so...the realization on NOT having to spend mega-bucks for worked class transparent sound once again.

There is no fiddling with tubes, no real warm up...just turn it on and listen....

Just Marvelous!
Alex
 :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 30 Aug 2012, 01:44 pm »
I ordered a AC to AC adapter with a higher voltage/current capability.
This is only for the combo right?  The ODAC is buss powered.  Yes?

saisunil

« Reply #47 on: 30 Aug 2012, 02:01 pm »
Would love to have a portable dac/amp battery powered combo

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 30 Aug 2012, 02:17 pm »
The ODAC only requires USB power.

The AC to AC adapter supplies the power to the O2 amp...the amps AC inputs can be anywhere from 14 to 20 VAC.

From Nwavguy:
"The transformer output can be anywhere from 14 VAC to 20 VAC and at least 200 mA. Don’t use more than 20 VAC or less than 14 VAC
(except for the 12 VAC transformers listed in the parts list). Do not try to use a DC adapter."

The main differnce in the 2 setups i have is the intergrated one has a lot less wiring between the Dac and the amp...just 4 inches of wire.
The external dacs have 1-3 feet of cable, dont know if that really matters in an audible way or not...

I have gone back and forth, with only batteries, the integrated one the non-integrated setup....all sound great to me.

Saisunil...dong a portable dac/amp would not be that hard to do. U can cram it into the existing O2 amp box with batteries but its tight...
It would be easier to do with the next larger size box..even with RCA's if you want them...

Alex

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 30 Aug 2012, 05:57 pm »
Thanks.   :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #50 on: 30 Aug 2012, 06:22 pm »
I've recently built a 5v SSLV (Salas Shunt Low Voltage) power supply for the ODAC, replacing the linear PS I have been using. The SSLV brings out a realism and nuance that I did not think was possible from this dac. If you have any basic soldering
skills I can't recommend it enough. Big step up. The build is pretty simple, the hardest part being figuring out heatsinking and getting the exact voltage needed. Starter kits and boards are available from TeaBag as well. Also, the voltage is adjustable so it can be repurposed for another project (heat being the real limiting factor).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/tea-bag/741-bib-minikits.html

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 30 Aug 2012, 06:27 pm »
I didn't realize that some people were not using the USB power.   :scratch:

What does NwAvGuy say about this?  Measurements are criticle as then it's no longer an ODAC.   :wink:

wushuliu

« Reply #52 on: 30 Aug 2012, 06:39 pm »
I didn't realize that some people were not using the USB power.   :scratch:

What does NwAvGuy say about this?  Measurements are criticle as then it's no longer an ODAC.   :wink:

Well *I'm* not and I think I am the only one. I was not impressed with usb power but then I'm using it for 2 channel and most people aren't which I think makes for a very different experience. as for NwAvGuy. Ha. Yeah. That's his problem. Onwards and upwards.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 30 Aug 2012, 07:32 pm »
Nice Supply....however I don't really think this will really make any real world difference in what we can hear in our cans.

If you look at the design and the real world analytical measurements nvawguy has posted and have been confirmed there is no real need for more power than can be provided from a a good functional working USB port...you only need 125 millamps of current!

You don't need 10 amps.

If you really hear sonic approvements with this supply, my hats off to you....but being the analytical guy I am I challenge you to do a blind   test with someone else switching the power supplies , do this 10 times , record your 'honest' results...

All the best
Alex
 :deadhorse:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 30 Aug 2012, 07:49 pm »
Well *I'm* not and I think I am the only one. I was not impressed with usb power but then I'm using it for 2 channel and most people aren't which I think makes for a very different experience. as for NwAvGuy. Ha. Yeah. That's his problem. Onwards and upwards.
I'll be using it for 2ch as well.  I have a Metric Halo LIO-8 currently so I'm curious....

I guess what I'm saying is pretty much what Alex said.  If the deisgner that has made the ODAC (Objective)DAC and proved that it doesn't *need* and external power supply then why not try to have measurements done to show what you might be hearing?

wushuliu

« Reply #55 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:02 pm »
Nice Supply....however I don't really think this will really make any real world difference in what we can hear in our cans.

If you look at the design and the real world analytical measurements nvawguy has posted and have been confirmed there is no real need for more power than can be provided from a a good functional working USB port...you only need 125 millamps of current!

You don't need 10 amps.

If you really hear sonic approvements with this supply, my hats off to you....but being the analytical guy I am I challenge you to do a blind   test with someone else switching the power supplies , do this 10 times , record your 'honest' results...

All the best
Alex
 :deadhorse:

A real blind test that stands up to scrutiny involves more than a buddy and a blindfold.

I don't know where 10 amps came from. You control the current on the SSLV.

For all NwAvGuys efforts and ranting, Gordon Rankin came out with the DragonFly which sounds the same if not better -
and you don't want to know his view on objectivity or, god forbid, usb cables. Hey maybe he cribbed off NwAvGuy. :lol:

The sonic improvement I hear is beyond doubt, whether anyone wants to hear for themselves is up to them.

wushuliu

« Reply #56 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:07 pm »
I'll be using it for 2ch as well.  I have a Metric Halo LIO-8 currently so I'm curious....

I guess what I'm saying is pretty much what Alex said.  If the deisgner that has made the ODAC (Objective)DAC and proved that it doesn't *need* and external power supply then why not try to have measurements done to show what you might be hearing?

Are you going to pay for the measurement equipment? Or are you offering to do the measurements (which is another great vague word like 'science' - what exactly are the specifics? What are we looking for? What do we need to accomplish that?)

Or is all this available from the blind test kit on Amazon, because I do have Prime shipping.

saisunil

« Reply #57 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:50 pm »
In High end audio - power supply is everything - IMO, it should benefit from better than usb power ...

On the other hand - dragonfly is looking good for a usb powered - tiny dac/headphone amp ... :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2012, 09:13 pm »
There ya go...."it should" but not necessarily true....the circuit will only draw what it needs and 125 ma at 5 volts +/- % is all it needs...or it wouldnt be doing as well as it is..

Your welcome to tack on a"BIG" power supply but this unit can get what it needs to be "beyond" inaudibility already...and any improvements to the already published specs...
to put any of these measurements even further into the inaudible range...well ok....spend you money wisely.

The whole idea and excercise was to do the best with the least...and its really as good as stuff costing a whole lot more bucks...

I finally have my USB cable hacked and will run some tests on the actual current draw....and voltage drop on a few pcs..

All the best
Alex

wushuliu

« Reply #59 on: 30 Aug 2012, 09:15 pm »
In High end audio - power supply is everything - IMO, it should benefit from better than usb power ...

On the other hand - dragonfly is looking good for a usb powered - tiny dac/headphone amp ... :thumb:

I agree and have heard the changes in sq in different components re: power supplies too many times.

I also want to add that I don't have a problem with the advice to validate what I hear with analysis but I do have a problem when it suggests 
easy or simple to conduct procedure(s) to do so.