Anybody hear Grant DAC-11 or the other ESS Sabre model???

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Grant Fidelity came out with two new DACs, the DAC-11 for like $325 and a newer model based on the ESS Sabre Chip for $699....anybody hear either one or heard anything????

WC

Re: Anybody hear Grant DAC-11 or the other ESS Sabre model???
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2011, 07:54 pm »
Not more than I read on Grant Fidelity's forum over on AK. I do like the look of the Tube DAC-11, especially for the price.  :thumb:

WC

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:55 am »
Here is a review of the Tube DAC 11.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue58/tubedac11.htm

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:10 am »
 8)
Listening to the Tube DAC-11 now.
Using the DAC out (bypassing tube) to my Sensation 901 with Dodd buffer is very very punchy with much clarity but what is more interesting is the tube out jacks to my Schit Asgard head amp and Hifiman planar cans.!
Initial reaction is that this is a sleeper that is going to get some really good press.
Allison Krauss is vibrant and in the room with me right now.
Too early to tell but this puppy is punching way above its weight class. 
The new GF Sabre DAC sounds very interesting as does their tube output CD player.
Tom

I.Greyhound Fan

Grant Fidelity DAC-11?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2011, 08:02 pm »
Has any one bought the new Grant Fidelity DAC-11?

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html

I think that I may be getting one for a christmas present for my secondary system- Class D audio 254 amp, MMG speakers.  I will be using it as a DAC and preamp.   I was just curious as to what people think about it.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Grant Fidelity DAC-11?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:51 am »
Has any one bought the new Grant Fidelity DAC-11?

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html

I think that I may be getting one for a christmas present for my secondary system- Class D audio 254 amp, MMG speakers.  I will be using it as a DAC and preamp.   I was just curious as to what people think about it.

Uhmmm, there's another thread on this very product a couple a threads below yours, rather than duplicate posts I'll merge yours with theirs.  Fair enough?

ryno

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:37 am »
Tom
Did you try your headphones direct to the tube RCA outs?
Ryan

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:33 pm »
8)
Listening to the Tube DAC-11 now.
Using the DAC out (bypassing tube) to my Sensation 901 with Dodd buffer is very very punchy with much clarity but what is more interesting is the tube out jacks to my Schit Asgard head amp and Hifiman planar cans.!
Initial reaction is that this is a sleeper that is going to get some really good press.
Allison Krauss is vibrant and in the room with me right now.
Too early to tell but this puppy is punching way above its weight class. 
The new GF Sabre DAC sounds very interesting as does their tube output CD player.
Tom

How do you think it ranks against some of the other dacs you've heard?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:57 am »
I received my DAC-11 today and after just 6 hours of burn in I am very pleasantly surprised.  I am using it in a secondary system with my MMG speakers, an old panasonic RP56 DVD player as a transport and an old JVC VBK8000 AVR.  The sound from the DAC out which is solid state is good, but the unit really shines as a DAC from the tube ouput.  Unfortunately it does not bypass the volume control as in the Maverick TubeMagic D1 which the DAC-11 clearly out performs.

The sound is very smooth without any digital edge that I can tell.  Bass is tight and deep, treble has good resolution but I am being limited here by the JVC AVR.  The sound leans a bit on the warmer side and there is good depth, air and transparency.

Tomorrow I will be swapping out the JVC for a Class D Audio CDA-254 amp and will report on the sound.  Eventually I will give it a try in my main system with my Van Alstine Hybrid Ultra tube Preamp and DAC along with my Parasound Halo A21 amp and Magnepan QR1.6's and I will give another review.

As far as the build quality, it is very good for the price and better than the Maverick.  I think for the money, the DAC-11 will be hard to beat.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2011, 03:35 am »
Thanks for asking. I seldom post my modest opinions unless specifically requested to do so.

RCA outs to headphones.  :wink:
Yup.. much preferred the tube output to my Schit Asgard. By big margin.
Cans = HE-4 and HE-6.

Compared to other DACS I have owned  :wink:
I really like it. It reminds me of my Eastern Electric original DAC a lot.
Having multiple inputs and outputs puts the convenience factor through the roof for me.
And since I am feeding the DAC out to a Dodd tube buffered Sensation the warmth of the GF-11 presentation is considerable and very favorable to me  as well as allowing me to use the tube output to my Asgard..
OK.. What have I compared to direct DAC to DAC?  :)
Maverick D2.. I much prefer the fuller sound of the GF-11 over the lean D2.
Emotiva XDA-1.. much prefer the warmth of the GF-11 over the Emotiva which is a nice DAC but a bit to musical for me.

Schit Bifrost (non direct) Bifrost is a really good DAC but my slight preference for the less digital character of the GF-11 along with the multiple input/output convenience made it a really nice fit for me in my system.
Merry Christmas.
Tom

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2011, 04:13 am »
Thanks Tom.....something else for me to save up for. :)

emac

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2011, 03:23 pm »
Thanks for asking. I seldom post my modest opinions unless specifically requested to do so.

RCA outs to headphones.  :wink:
Yup.. much preferred the tube output to my Schit Asgard. By big margin.
Cans = HE-4 and HE-6.

Compared to other DACS I have owned  :wink:
I really like it. It reminds me of my Eastern Electric original DAC a lot.
Having multiple inputs and outputs puts the convenience factor through the roof for me.
And since I am feeding the DAC out to a Dodd tube buffered Sensation the warmth of the GF-11 presentation is considerable and very favorable to me  as well as allowing me to use the tube output to my Asgard..
OK.. What have I compared to direct DAC to DAC?  :)
Maverick D2.. I much prefer the fuller sound of the GF-11 over the lean D2.
Emotiva XDA-1.. much prefer the warmth of the GF-11 over the Emotiva which is a nice DAC but a bit to musical for me.

Schit Bifrost (non direct) Bifrost is a really good DAC but my slight preference for the less digital character of the GF-11 along with the multiple input/output convenience made it a really nice fit for me in my system.
Merry Christmas.
Tom

While it looks like you didn't directly compare the GF-11 to the Eastern Electric, would you mind elaborating on some of the similarities and differences if possible?  Thanks.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2011, 04:31 pm »
I had an EE DAC for several months and sold it as it was no better than my Scott Endler modded Behringer DEQ2496 (which BTW you can buy/mod for the price of the EE DAC gaining EQ but losing volume control).  OTOH upgrading Channel Island Audio monoblocks (from VMB-1 to D-100) made a noticable improvement (more resolution/bass grip).

But I'll fully admit to being a "speaker guy".

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2011, 09:57 pm »
 8)
So I guess I like it better.
Well the Grant Fidelity DAC-11 became a part of my photo studio system this week. Temporarily it is taking on the double duty of pre amp as well till Virtue  gets my Sensation 901 upgraded with Clarity caps.
Already rolled several tubes through it and it rolls well!
Kinda looks like it is one of the little brothers!  :P

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm »
Orange is great!!!!

michaelv

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:53 pm »
What's the difference between line-out, tube out and DAC out? I don't see it mentioned how to use it in the manual.

thanks.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:02 pm »
Tube pre-out uses the Tube output for that nice tube sound
Line out is a solid state output no tube in the mix
  **Both of the above are governed by the volume pot-so its in pre-amp mode**

DAC out is a line level output-No Volume control its full bore--if you use it you need a pre-amp after or BOOM!!!

WARNING^^^ I'm almost -say98%- certain this is correct but I may have the DAC out and Line Out mixed up as to volume knobs influence...call Grant to make sure and I'll hunt down anything I can find to verify this...OK...prroceed with caution...*****

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:07 pm »
I verified I am correct with this statement off the website in the description''''

^^^"DAC direct output - by pass tube buffer stage and volume control for you to match the DAC with other high end amplification (amp must have its own volume control as DAC direct output pass signal at full volume)" :thumb: :thumb:

I am now 100% sure I am correct with my above description :thumb:

michaelv

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:13 pm »
Thanks Eclein. I have Integerated Amp Plinius 9200. So i guess i using DAC out is best option since volume will be controlled by Plinius itself.
I also see this site has Sabre D18-Reference and its price is way affordable than Wyred W4S DAC-2.

thanks.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm »
I also see this site has Sabre D18-Reference and its price is way affordable than Wyred W4S DAC-2.

When comparing (features anyway), you should probably be comparing the Yulong D-18 with the Wyred4Sound DAC-1 ($999), while noting that the DAC-1 has some features the D-18 does not have: a 24/96 asynchronous USB input, an LCD display for sample rate, a 3 year warranty and is made in USA.

The Wyred4Sound DAC-2 ($1499) adds 24/192 asynchronous USB input, AES/EBU and I2S inputs, remote control, HT Bypass inputs selectable via DC trigger and upgraded power supply filter capacitance.

Steve