Best Sound From MWI Oppo 95 w/o Spinning Discs?

aggielaw

Best Sound From MWI Oppo 95 w/o Spinning Discs?
« on: 26 Nov 2013, 03:19 am »
Happy early Thanksgiving, guys!

I'm interested in enjoying a listening session without having to get up and change discs every few tracks.  Is there a method (or handful of methods) that are clearly superior in sound quality to other options?  And do any options for playing back the digits sound as good or better than spinning discs on the Modwright Oppo 95?

I'm completely open to whatever solution sounds best.  My CDs are ripped to flac files, so although I don't think I'll need to "push" them from another computer using a player such as JRiver Media Center I'm happy to go that way if that achieves the best sound quality.

Thanks for your advice!

HC

Phil A

Re: Best Sound From MWI Oppo 95 w/o Spinning Discs?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:44 pm »
Have the BDP-93 in a secondary system (but have heard the 95) and I've had thumb drives in it with FLAC files and when you turn it on the start-up menu comes up and I click on the folder and it will play what I have.  I've had CD quality and higher rez PCM.  Sounds good. I brought a thumb drive to the Capital Audiofest in late July and John Gatski of everythingaudio.net had his stack of DACs (covered in Stereophile as well) connected to the various DACs from his 95 via an HDMI audio de-embedder (where you can also play DSD files by setting the Oppo to convert to PCM, which it does at 24/88.2) and I have more than one de-embedder personally (and used it with DACs in a primary and secondary system for a bit before going to DSD DACs) and it sounded really good.  Thumb drives are easy to copy to and the DACs in the 95 are obviously better than the ones in the 93

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2013, 04:53 pm »
Here's the link on Stereophile which shows the stack of DACs used - http://www.stereophile.com/content/capital-audiofest-day-two-part-one

aggielaw

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2013, 11:55 pm »
Thanks, Phil.  That was quite a room at the show, wasn't it?

Have you compared the USB input to the ethernet input?

Think I will copy some files to a flash drive tonight and give a listen.  :)