Can this plant be saved?

Doublej

Can this plant be saved?
« on: 5 Jul 2015, 08:15 pm »
I am not sure what it is. I usually keep it in the house. I put it outside for it to get some sun and then it rained and now the leaves are unhappy.

What if anything can be done to resurrect it? The odd thing about this plant is I have had it for 10+ years and last year for the first time ever it flowered in the fall.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Can this plant be saved?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2015, 08:27 pm »
Put it back in the house. House plants should never, ever be put outside. The light in your window is much less intense than outdoor sun. Most house plants are tropical plants that live on the forest floor, in the shade!!! Even plants that come with notes that say put in a Southern window can't take outdoor direct sun.
When transplanting garden plants from indoor to outdoor they should be gently acclimated to the much brighter conditions outdoors. Otherwise, you'll fry them, as you now well know.

Doc

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2015, 09:24 pm »
Doublej,

Your plant is sunburned. It is overly sensitive to the sun just like any other creature (plant or animal) that has spent months or years out of direct sunlight. So long as its roots didn't dry out completely, it will recover. I long ago forgot its name/genus, but it seldom flowers. It's a popular indoor plant in Taiwan homes because of its very low maintenance needs and vertical growth. You can cut a stalk half-way down (behead it, snip it off) and a new vertical stalk will regrow just below the cut.

Doc,

I must respectfully disagree with part of your statement. Indoor plants can indeed be placed outdoors. Think about their origins for a moment. :)

Every summer I take our indoor plants outside; place them under a tree or shrub to give them morning sun and/or dappled sunlight. I repot the plants into slightly larger pots, add new soil, add bone meal, alfalfa meal, and kelp meal to refresh the soil. Typically, I take them back inside when the temperatures break above 90F. The key is to not expose them to harsh sunlight.

Michael

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2015, 09:29 pm »
Mike, I'm trying to keep it simple for someone who obviously knows little about house plants. I used to put my plants outdoors as well, but the shock of returning them indoors wasn't worth the extra growth in the summer.

Doc

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2015, 02:02 am »
Haha, I misread your title and thought it said "Can this planet be saved?"  And my answer is No.  :P