GMOs good or not?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: GMOs good or not?
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:10 am »
In the 60 when I was a kid there was many orange and tangerine species in my country, then came Monsanto guys and said w/a english accent: we will do these fruits without seeds for you buy seeds from us, the local people laugh.
So in the 80s all fruits seeds were dead, If you plant the seeds nothing will born, nothing, the seeds are dead.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2016, 11:50 am by FullRangeMan »

Guy 13

werd

« Reply #44 on: 3 Jun 2016, 01:27 pm »
In the 60 when I was a kid there was many orange and tangerine species in my country, then came Monsanto guys and said w/a english accent: we will do these fruits without seeds for you buy seeds from us, the local people laugh.
So in the 80s all fruits seeds were dead, If you plant the seeds nothing will born, nothing, the seeds are dead.

I would like to learn more about this.

werd

« Reply #45 on: 3 Jun 2016, 01:45 pm »
 The problem I have with these anti GMO sites is the use of anecdotes to make their point. This is not a good way to show something is dangerous. They are just opinions.

The real way and only way to show something dangerous to health is by using studies. In particular meta studies that use a vast number of data to show a correlation. That is about anything too not just Roundup. Those studies from what I can tell have been done and they do not show a correlation. I am sympathetic to those that are nervous about them because the government who supposedly collects and analyzes these studies isn't functioning.

Anyways using anecdotes is real easy to make something benign sound dangerous. I could easily twist and distort consumption of apples seeds and make the Cyanide seem deadly. Well it is but there is no where near any dangerous levels in apples seeds.

If you go to that link I showed. Which is about the best thing I have seen on GMOs and herbicide you will hear the anti group talk. Then you can hear Monsanto. They both make good points but Monsanto real shows their colours.

OzarkTom

« Reply #46 on: 3 Jun 2016, 02:25 pm »
For those that think GMO's are safe, needs to watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDyI10Z8aH0

Some farmers have proven to themselves about how bad glyphosate in feed is bad for their livestock health. Infertilty, deformed, stillbirth livestock.

werd

« Reply #47 on: 3 Jun 2016, 03:50 pm »
Thanks Tom

I am going to watch the you tube you just posted and the other stuff this weekend.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:32 am »
I would like to learn more about this.
They have disabled the seed gene in these fruits, I not strong in biology.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:56 am »
I really hate posting in threads like this. Too many unknowns on both sides. What I do know about precision farming is it is all about yield and crop growth. They farm to the square foot now and control the direction of the seed going into the ground (faster growth right side up), the compaction level of the soil after that split second drop, the amount of water and fertilizer and pesticides is varied across the rows while planting (up to 52 rows), and it is a big boy game.

Monsanto buys and sells $billion dollar companies like you change sticks of gum. They are into data. It is ALL about the data. Using drones and satellite imaging to measure whether a row has had a skip in the seed planted or a double seed planting has occurred. They predict (i.e. control) the amount of yield across the acres and then bet on the crop prices. Without starting a conspiracy on-line, companies like Monsanto are so tied up in what happens in the field, that I bet an investigative sleuth could connect commodity prices to their work in yield. As weather conditions change, so do yields. So then prices of seeds, chemicals, and finished product. Follow the money.

Big brother is controlling everything that goes on in the farmer's fields today and it is all about the profits.

(I am somewhat of a hypocrite here as my team designs and sells precision farming products. $millions worth each year with more to come.)

martyo

« Reply #50 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm »
Thanks Pete

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:25 pm »
Monsanto always negatively surprised me, to my know they modify only the seeds and never improve the techniques of planting the farmers use.

Guy 13

« Reply #52 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm »

Thanks Big Red Machine, very well put and informative !
Maybe I am wrong, but your name: '' Big Red Machine ''
is related to red farming machinery yousell ????
(John Deer are green, may I ask what make do you sell, just curious ???)

Guy 13

Big Red Machine

« Reply #53 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm »
No. JD and CNH are customers for sure.

I spent 25 years doing this.... got a reputation and a moniker....

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #54 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:05 pm »

I just thought you were a Cincinnati Reds fan from the 70's... :D

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #55 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:15 pm »
Anybody familiar with Joel Salatin and Polyface Farms? Buddy of mine has always wanted to get out of the city and live a little more self sustained life and came across this guy and his farming techniques. Don't know how he grows his crops but the "strategic disturbance" method sounds interesting. Website says beyond organic, whatever that means...

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

Guy 13

« Reply #56 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:32 pm »

WOW ! That's something really nice.
I am sure you have put hundred of hours on that one.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:40 pm »
Wow great model. Now that Im adult not help more, I wanted one of those when I was a kid.

Guy 13

« Reply #58 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:45 pm »
Anybody familiar with Joel Salatin and Polyface Farms? Buddy of mine has always wanted to get out of the city and live a little more self sustained life and came across this guy and his farming techniques. Don't know how he grows his crops but the "strategic disturbance" method sounds interesting. Website says beyond organic, whatever that means...

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

Thanks for that link.
Very, very interesting.
We need more farmers like that...  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #59 on: 4 Jun 2016, 06:21 pm »
I really hate posting in threads like this. Too many unknowns on both sides. What I do know about precision farming is it is all about yield and crop growth. They farm to the square foot now and control the direction of the seed going into the ground (faster growth right side up), the compaction level of the soil after that split second drop, the amount of water and fertilizer and pesticides is varied across the rows while planting (up to 52 rows), and it is a big boy game.

Monsanto buys and sells $billion dollar companies like you change sticks of gum. They are into data. It is ALL about the data. Using drones and satellite imaging to measure whether a row has had a skip in the seed planted or a double seed planting has occurred. They predict (i.e. control) the amount of yield across the acres and then bet on the crop prices. Without starting a conspiracy on-line, companies like Monsanto are so tied up in what happens in the field, that I bet an investigative sleuth could connect commodity prices to their work in yield. As weather conditions change, so do yields. So then prices of seeds, chemicals, and finished product. Follow the money.

Big brother is controlling everything that goes on in the farmer's fields today and it is all about the profits.

(I am somewhat of a hypocrite here as my team designs and sells precision farming products. $millions worth each year with more to come.)

Their tech is really not in question. They do some real good things like no tillage, lower fuel costs, lower carbon footprint. It's this kind of tech that is the future of farming. The problem is the they run farming to much like a big- business and they think they own canola and corn, what ever else they decide to GMO, by patents.

What they have done is substituted manpower for herbicide. Where the farming manpower existed before they have eliminated for just spraying out herbicide as a way to increase yield. Completely unregulated and full speed ahead. 

That is corporate farming.

This is why we need labelling and we need sophisticated labelling. Only because we the market are the ones that have to govern and regulate this by purchasing. Whether it is too complicated or not or gives Big business a big butt hurt in their Big pocket book is not a reason not to. These companies are rich and they can start putting money back into the economy by creating growth in educating the public with labelling. Too bad I don't care about their situation right now and how they are getting rolled over by the Organic side. They need to compete or fail. They do not get to sit in the dark and do what they want. This will expose the bull shit on the organic side too. They seem to be sailing through this unnoticed. The public needs to know what pesticides are being used when. Then and only then maybe they will slow down and start managing it properly.