Look what Parts Express has done!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Look what Parts Express has done!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2014, 06:16 pm »
My gosh that's cheap!  $60 is insane.  I hope you buy a pair and report back.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm »
http://www.parts-express.com/6-1-2-poly-cone-midbass-woofer-4-ohm--299-609

Makes me wonder... No-Rez, new crossover, and new woofer? Lot of work to mod. But if they stop selling the Pioneers then this is probably ok. Isn't a real low player.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2014, 06:38 pm »
They really should change out those cheap spring terminals for some cheap binding posts and add $1.00 to the price of the speaker.

Steve

motosapien

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2014, 07:22 pm »
Wonder how they compare to the Overnight Sensations?  If they came close it would be the deal of the decade.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:09 pm »
They really should change out those cheap spring terminals for some cheap binding posts and add $1.00 to the price of the speaker.

Steve

IdK, i'm kinda getting back to raw wire again.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:16 pm »
IdK, i'm kinda getting back to raw wire again.

Then you would be better served to put your raw wire through the hole on the shaft of a multi-way binding post that can be securely tightened, not inserted into a spring-loaded clip with dubious spring tension and contact area.

Steve

decal

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:17 pm »
Just ordered a pair for my workshop. :thumb:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2014, 02:30 pm »
Tempting....
Around $120 shipped to BC Canada....

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2014, 03:49 pm »
A review here, weaknesses noted as well. It includes downloadable DSP corrections:

http://noaudiophile.com/Dayton_B652_Air/

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2014, 05:11 pm »
That is the thing that troubles me - it is the same woofer. I would have to find
a new woofer to put in it, to bring the sound up more - and then damp the box
some more - plus add more stuffing. It still looks interesting.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2014, 01:35 pm »
A review here, weaknesses noted as well. It includes downloadable DSP corrections:

Nice review, I like this guy.  What was more interesting was his review of the Micca MB42x and JBL LSR305 monitors.  These look like they could be giant killers in the C&C world.  But those would be for a different thread.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2014, 03:04 pm »

Will have to read more from that guy, but after reading that one review I have a feeling that following his advice and DSP suggestions would be a mistake.  I see a lot that makes me questions the validity of his measurements, and his ability to translate them.  Still a fun read, and of good value, just don't take anything as gospel.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2014, 03:27 pm »
... oops, double post

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2014, 04:09 pm »
I for one will not go heavy EQ on a speaker

Dennis Murphy is receiving a pair and will measure them

However I have my eye on this Monoprice speaker, for a few dollars more
and free shipping - it may be better built than both Dayton speakers.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=10532&seq=1&format=2

fredgarvin

« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2014, 04:12 pm »
Nice review, I like this guy.  What was more interesting was his review of the Micca MB42x and JBL LSR305 monitors.  These look like they could be giant killers in the C&C world.  But those would be for a different thread.

My thoughts too, i actually posted a heads up on the JBL in this forum. I'm pretty tempted...if I wasn't so broke right now.

aevans

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2014, 02:45 am »
Hey fellas, I'm that noaudiophile guy. Been a member here for a while as I'm a big fan of Rick Craig's work with Selah, I have a couple of his speakers that are definitely my reference for good sound.

I wanted to address some concern about the measurements I take. In general I spend a lot of time with the speakers for a review, and usually have a hundred or so measurements that I cherry pick from to use. I really only use measurements in the reviews to show what I'm hearing.

In the process of hunting down problems or building DSP corrections I'll window the measurements down to almost nothing and work my way back from there. The problem with showing windowed or god forbid unsmoothed measurements is that if I use those results the audience I serve does not understand what it is that I'm showing them and will think that the speaker has no bass or sounds like a disaster. Because I do this for fun I'm not really up writing a text book to explain that or for splicing close micing results of the woofer on top of everything. Not to mention I'd need to explain the rise to FS on everything. Really it's just swapping one problem for another. I do attempt to let people know that the measurements I show below 1k are pretty much worthless, but working indoors give me the freedom to work at night and take lots of measurements without scaring the neighbors. Bigger speakers I do have to haul out in the yard, but I usually don't mess with those because I'm already pretty tight with space.

Now, I'm just an opinionated dude with a good reference system and a calibrated mic. If anyone spots a mistake or room for improvement I'm happy to learn.

Hope you guys like the other reviews, and if you have any questions about anything let me know.

As for the JBL's.. they are very good if you like horn imaging.