Nuprime dac-10h with microRendu

Starboard

Nuprime dac-10h with microRendu
« on: 15 Jan 2017, 11:37 am »
Hi...

Did anyone have or have tried this setup and how it works? I have microRendu on Dac-10h and sound is thin and harsh overall. Any suggestions on how to improve it?! My setup is: Synology Nas - microrendu - Nuprime dac-10h - st10 over Logitec Media Server installed on Nas. Tnx

shauk786

Re: Nuprime dac-10h with microRendu
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:46 am »
Starboard,

I have a similar setup. All of my music are in WAV and DSF/DFF (DSD) formats on a Western Digital My Cloud NAS. I have ROON Server Software running on a dedicated Windows 10 PC. I use the microrendu (with IFI Power) in ROON Endpoint mode and sometimes in HQPLAYER NAA mode. The microrendu is connected to the DAC 10H using a Wywires USB Cable. The DAC 10H is connected to a NUprime MCH K38 Amp using SKY XLR interconnects. And I have Glorious full Sound with great imaging and resolution. Not thin by any means. I have been listening to this system for about 6 months now. A step up  IMO over my previous setup which consisted of brystons BDP1-> BDA1-> BP26 -> Nuforce V3se monoblocs.

Regards,

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:22 pm »
I don't understand, why not just connect Synology USB to DAC-10H ?

Starboard

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:23 pm »
Hi, shauk786

Well, great to have someone with similar setup. Have you tried Logitech media server on your rendu? Also, what is rest of your setup,... speakers and speaker cables? I have Pmc 23 in small room but still searching for cables. How about better PS for rendu and do you need some hardware extra for rendu to work in HQ PLayer NNA mode? Lots of questions I know, but lots of missing parts in my setup! :)

Regards!

Starboard

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:25 pm »

Hi rusty!!! What do you mean by that..!?!?

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:28 pm »
Synology has USB output to connect to DAC-10H.
See this as an example. Synology EDS14 with Encore mDSD (designed by Nuprime).  We are thinking of putting it inside series 9 chassis (like the Raspberry Pi project topic).  The Synology Audio Station player is great, and you can also stream from other DLNA to Synology.

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:29 pm »
Here I use one USB port for storage, another port for connecting to DAC.

Starboard

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:40 pm »
Ok... as I understand, you mean to connect Synology 216j NAS over usb cabel to dac 10 without anything in between?

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:50 pm »
Yes. Synology is a customised Linux computer and it supports USB audio output.
Install the Audio Station app, the Setting / Advanced allows you to configure USB audio output.
I love Synology and they keep adding new features and update the apps. The Audio Station has been updated several times and I notice the latest version support playing DSD over DoP.

Starboard

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2017, 06:03 pm »
Great Rusty... you are THE MAN!!!  :D

I will try and report about how it works!!

Thank you!

shauk786

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2017, 12:59 am »

Jason,

The Sonore Microrendu is a neat little device with an ethernet input and a USB output and a great addition if you have a networked house. In my case, I have a media server (windows 10 PC) in a closet together with the router, modem, switches, bridge and several NAS'es (that hold movies and Music collections) far away from my listening areas to minimize noise. The Server serves multiple rooms (Plex Media Server for Movies and Roon Server / Signalyst Hqplayer for Music. In my main rig (home theater room), I have the microrendu that serves the music to my dac 10H. I use the Plex client on Rokus to play movies in theater room as well as play music/movies in my bedrooms.

Cheers.

shauk786

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2017, 01:30 am »
Hi, shauk786

Well, great to have someone with similar setup. Have you tried Logitech media server on your rendu? Also, what is rest of your setup,... speakers and speaker cables? I have Pmc 23 in small room but still searching for cables. How about better PS for rendu and do you need some hardware extra for rendu to work in HQ PLayer NNA mode? Lots of questions I know, but lots of missing parts in my setup! :)

Regards!

Starboard,

I have only used Roon Ready and HQPLayer NAA modes with Microrendu. You will need to have the HQPLAYER software running on your computer if you use the hqplayer NAA with Microrendu. And you can still control everything from the ROON Server. Why I use hqplayer is that it allows mw to upsample any pcm music file to DSD if you so wishes on the fly before send to microrendu/dac . So you can experiment and decide if you like the sound.  :lol:

My main system (Music):
WD My Cloud NAS'es
Roon Server on Windows 10 PC
Sonore MIcrorendu
Nuprime DAC 10H
Pair of Nuprime MCH K38 providing 8 channels in bridge mode
VMPS RM40 Speakers (R+L)
Cables: Audioquest SKY XLRs for interconnects, Wywires USB Cable, Audioquest Volcano Speaker Cables, Wywires Power cables

Cheers

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2017, 03:29 pm »
I think microRendu type of products are for audiophiles who want to have custom this and that.
Synology EDS14 is for people who just want to have an easy to use media server. Both of them have ethernet and USB ports. I am pretty sure microRendu is just a custom linux board.

Starboard

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2017, 06:46 pm »
Ok... after I have managed to make A-B test between setup with Sonore microRendu and without, only with Synology NAS running Audio Station music server directly connected to Nuprime Dac-10h, I must admit that microRendu is great little fella. Noise I was hearing in my setup was caused by tv reciver connected directly to router. After I have connected to switch everything has been as it has to be. MicroRendu makes big difference in sound quality but setup with Synology only is also very good.

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2017, 04:57 pm »
May be all you need is a $39 USB isolator between Synology and DAC-10 ?

Starboard

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2017, 06:36 pm »
I will try to get one, so I can make comparison.  :)