Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Gopher

« on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:06 pm »
I would wager money the Zu is going to be a very special speaker, but if I'm not mistaken the $999 pre-order sale is over on the Omens.  Wasn't it going up to $1500 after a week or so?

I love my Soul Superflys.  They will be with me for a long time.

srb

« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:56 pm »
I would wager money the Zu is going to be a very special speaker, but if I'm not mistaken the $999 pre-order sale is over on the Omens.  Wasn't it going up to $1500 after a week or so?

Still listed on the Zu Audio website as on sale for $999 and shipping on November 1.
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=82&category_id=1

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:03 pm »
The Zu offerings look pretty fantastic, they seem to have great customer service also...I emailed a question this morning and got a reply within an hour. The build quality looks very good also...I know Fred enjoys his, Mariusz is there an Omen in your future??? :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:14 pm »
The Zu offerings look pretty fantastic, they seem to have great customer service also...I emailed a question this morning and got a reply within an hour. The build quality looks very good also...I know Fred enjoys his, Mariusz is there an Omen in your future??? :thumb:

For $999 ? YES!
I can build something nice for that $ but you will have to take my word for it.  With Omens, guys might get the idea. 
If that sale is over, well ....... will have to pass. 

I also email them this morning - no reply so far.   They must have been busy answering YOUR questions.   :lol:

Cheers
Mariusz
Those nasty laws of physics say that small, efficient, and deep bass are mutually exclusive.

Being a fellow Canadian you should at least glance at Planet 10's custom enclosures:

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

I have those already - love it. 
However, for me personally ........ if I throw DIY horns into conversation, it just confuse the crap out of the other ear.  So, for me something more of a mainstream could work in a long run. 
Wifey wouldn't mind something smaller for a change either.  :lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:37 pm »
Just a quick fallow up:
Sale ends by the end of September.
Yes, it is still $999. 
My pair will come in red.   :icon_twisted:

I just couldn't resist.   :duh:

Lyndon

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:51 pm »
Mariusz,
Not in Maserati Blue Nettuno???
That is an intriguing color. :D

Lyndon

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:08 pm »
No, not for intro $999 :lol:
But there are 3 or 4 basic color themes. 
Dyed red maple veneer is one of them. 
That is what I choose to ordered. 
Black would be my 2nd choice. 

Here is the kicker...... when I get sick of them and decide to sell them at 60% value.....well,     
That would be seriously cheap and cheerful.

yeldarb

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:43 pm »
Is the price per pair or per each?

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:49 pm »
Is the price per pair or per each?

PAIR!!!!!
Jump!!!!!

Friend.....ex-Zu- dealer, tells me these sound better then Essence (which were a big flap BTW).

Mariusz

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2010, 09:58 pm »
I decided to split the topic and not to hijack Wind Chaser's thread...... and today is his birthday. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm »
I decided to split the topic and not to hijack Wind Chaser's thread...

No problem.  Those would be too big for my room.  If I had the space for something that big, I'd be all over the GR Venuettes.

Mariusz

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:30 pm »
No problem.  Those would be too big for my room.  If I had the space for something that big, I'd be all over the GR Venuettes.

My room is also small and these will fit the space nicely.......36” x 12” x 12” (92 x 30.5 x 30.5 cm)
50 pounds (23 kgs).

Most importantly, it is SET friendly. :wink:

98 dB @ 1 Watt, 1 meter
12 Ω, nominal full bandwidth, 9 Ω minimum
34 - 20,000+

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 06:41 am by Mariusz »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm »
My problem is I don't have a dedicated listening room.  So small stand mounts will have to do as they can be moved quickly in and out of position.

mca

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:48 pm »
I wonder what differences there are between the Omen and the Druid?

Mariusz

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm »
My problem is I don't have a dedicated listening room.  So small stand mounts will have to do as they can be moved quickly in and out of position.

That kind of sucks........ :?   Maybe one day. :)

My wife is OK with my hobbies and tolerates some intrusion of our living room space etc. :P

Mariusz

« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:24 am »
I wonder what differences there are between the Omen and the Druid?

Hard to say. Somewhere I read that 10" drivers are the same as those in Druids IV. Tweeter..? Not sure. :scratch:  There are some differences as far as materials and construction/volume goes.  I am also positive that they are pre-wired with new Mission speaker wire.......which are also on special for new Omen owners. It would make sense to at least investigate the benefits of running the exact same wire from the driver, all the way down to your amp(s).   Which brings another question: what (amp) you guys use with your Zus???

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:57 am »
I'd exchanged a few emails with the new Zu CEO (really nice, very responsive guy).  I'll post some of the info that didn't seem sensitive.

"The Soul is still coming out and I'm happy to explain some of the rational behind the Omen.  The Soul and Soul Superfly are difficult to produce in bulk due to the paint and shape of the cabinet.  Here at Zu, we've long been looking for a way to produce a "Zu Quality" speaker at a price that anyone can afford, our target is a speaker below $1,000.  The Omen has the same driver/tweeter combo as the Soul, however is in a cabinet that's much easier for us to produce."

Also, "The Omen doesn't have the same shape, however does employ the same Greiew loading"

Basically this thing looks like it will be a cheaper to make Soul with mission wiring internally.  The fact that it employs their Greiew loading should mean its not plinth gap sensitive like the Druid (from what I've read) and that it should offer Superfly/Essence like bass response.  I will not be surprised if reviewers feel it betters the Druids. 

Also it is speculated that the drop of 3db efficency (from 101db) is due to the cabinet. 

I think this sucker will be special and by the time I'm out of my condo and in a larger place I'll probably want a pair for a second system. 

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:26 am »
Hi all,

Any thoughts on using/pairing the Omen as a center channel with the Superflys in L/R duty?

Thanks,

- David.

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:52 am »
I'd probably use the Druid center myself and the Omens as surrounds. 

Hopefully due to the fact that the Omen is so much easier to make they actually get some review pairs out on this speaker.  I'm still waiting to hear what the pros have to say about the Superflys... I know I love 'em. 

Mariusz,

If you want cheap and cheerful amplification, the Virtue TWO.2 did a very good job (when in power amp config) with my Superflys.  I also REALLY like my slightly modded Dynaco ST-70.  It is a very hard amp to beat, but be mindful of the fact that the speaker terminals suck and it would be easy to short with large spades.

My Firstwatt F1 was recently updated to an F1J and its starting to come around a little and is almost recommendable at this point--not quite though.  If you were to get a rawson built one or DIY it could still be cheap and cheerful.

Mariusz

« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:02 am »
I honestly feel the pain of those  :scratch:  "other" Zu users.......  :lol:
Yes, it should be a fun speaker. The fact that it costs less then a grand and performs like or better then Druid or even Essence is quite shocking. If you pre-order Omens, Zu will offer you 50% off for their Mission cables......same cable used to re-wire Omens. :wink:

I'm still waiting to hear what the pros have to say about the Superflys... I know I love 'em. 

I wouldn't worry to much about the reviews  :nono:
It is your ear that has to justify your audio purchases.
But it surely is fun & important to reassure yourself that you are not the only crazy kid on the block. :lol: