Maagnepan 1.7 with NCore NC400

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Maagnepan 1.7 with NCore NC400
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2014, 09:30 pm »
Just wondering if anyone on here has heard the Maraschino with Mag 1.7s....

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 21 Oct 2014, 10:42 pm »
Nope but I just sold my VTL 300s to buy a really nice Martin guitar so am currently using an older Carver amp and it's a really bad combo (even though it worked great with the smaller Magnepans).
How does your Maraschino sound compared to big VTLs?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:15 am »
Nope but I just sold my VTL 300s to buy a really nice Martin guitar so am currently using an older Carver amp and it's a really bad combo (even though it worked great with the smaller Magnepans).
How does your Maraschino sound compared to big VTLs?
The Maraschino has much lower output impedance than a tube amp yet delivers high end smoothness.  It also has DC coupling end-to-end (no bass phase shift) and ultra low noise/distortion.

Here are some comments from RMAF:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129359.msg1366631#msg1366631

I haven't heard VTL 300s personally, but I can tell you we're winning over tube lovers with the Maraschino!  We have a 30-day trial, and the customer comes first.  Send an email to Support@DigitalAmp.com if you'd like a nice discount considering your kind post.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:00 am »
Seems to be a lot of hysteria regarding the Ncores among certain folks associated with other manufacturers and friends of.

You guys could at least try to be a little more transparent, try harder. At least give them a few superlatives in your condemnation. I mean, it can't be both "greatest amp ever used" - said many, "I sold my $20,000 amps", and also be "worst amps ever heard", "utter trash", "sterile" (love that one).

You're doing it wrong guys, just saying. A little subtlety would help your cause.

That said, Ncores are the best amps I've ever heard or used, by miles. Heard more than a few at this point. Oh, and I have Maggies. They are a simply gorgeous pairing, sonically.

Don't even have the faintest interest in buying other amps at this point as I haven't heard their better. Speakers, yes, Dacs, yes, etc, etc. Amps? Covered and then some.

ClefChef

« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2014, 04:54 am »
I was curious about "$20,000" amplifier myself so I built NCores and listened to them with Zu Omen and other efficient speakers. NCores did not sound good with 12-16 ohm high efficiency speakers, very high damping factor and high current were to no advantage here, the sound was a bit dry and dull. I sold NCores and went back to my regular tube setup.

I suppose proper source -> amp -> speaker matching is a big factor, as usual.

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:06 am »
I was curious about "$20,000" amplifier myself so I built NCores and listened to them with Zu Omen and other efficient speakers. NCores did not sound good with 12-16 ohm high efficiency speakers, very high damping factor and high current were to no advantage here, the sound was a bit dry and dull. I sold NCores and went back to my regular tube setup.

I suppose proper source -> amp -> speaker matching is a big factor, as usual.

That may be the case. I have only used Ncores with power hungry, low efficiency speakers, and regular speakers with normal impedance and real world power requirements, and in all cases, it made them sing beautifully. Have never had one person not impressed by them, ever. Absolutely jaw dropping amps.

Don't own high efficiency speakers yet, but that could very well not be their forte, don't know.

But as far as Maggies and Ncores? Yes, a resounding yes, they are magic.

If they weren't, I assure you all, I'd be looking elsewhere for power.

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:12 am »
And for the record, I had a guy join here a couple years ago, his posts are buried down deep I'm sure, but could be found. Had I believe Emotiva monoblocks, the big ones, big burly, highly regarded amps, and Magnepan 1.7's, and built Ncores, and was totally floored by them.

There are many Maggie owners who have done the same, here, and on other forums, this isn't a rare pairing. Always a happy outcome.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #27 on: 23 Oct 2014, 01:38 am »
Seems to be a lot of hysteria regarding the Ncores among certain folks associated with other manufacturers and friends of.

You guys could at least try to be a little more transparent, try harder. At least give them a few superlatives in your condemnation. I mean, it can't be both "greatest amp ever used" - said many, "I sold my $20,000 amps", and also be "worst amps ever heard", "utter trash", "sterile" (love that one).

You're doing it wrong guys, just saying. A little subtlety would help your cause.

That said, Ncores are the best amps I've ever heard or used, by miles. Heard more than a few at this point. Oh, and I have Maggies. They are a simply gorgeous pairing, sonically.

Don't even have the faintest interest in buying other amps at this point as I haven't heard their better. Speakers, yes, Dacs, yes, etc, etc. Amps? Covered and then some.
The nCore design is a few years older than Maraschino.  You say you have the "amp thing" covered, but maybe you can still give the Maraschino a listen if the opportunity arises.  Lots of Cherry Amp (not necessarily Maraschino, but older "big Cherries") owners are using them to drive Maggies.
Here's a related thread in our circle, in case anyone's interested:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125931

Phil

« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:17 am »
The Ncore are about as neutral as an amplifier can be, and they will reveal flaws elsewhere in the system like nothing else.  I am also finding that they are very sensitive to any RF contamination elsewhere in the chain
I always enjoy your knowledgeable posts.  Since I don't have DIY skills, I tried to address the RF issues with the VB2:  http://www.spatialaudio.us/velocity-bridge    The VB2 cleaned up the HF as well as increasing the musicality.  So, is it the amp?  You could say "yes" because other amps are less affected in the same environment, but previous amps didn't have the transparency (meaning, among other things, true to source).  Speaking of the source, the Ncore did reveal a problem and ultimately I needed to upgrade the DAC.  Bad amp?  Well, the system is better now than anything I've had.  Very musical (ask my wife who cannot stand any edge at all and can hear it immediately when, for example, I change a power cord or interconnect without her knowledge). 

As far as in-system comparisons.  The Ncore needs considerable time playing music to warm up and the difference is "tense" vs. musical.  And, of course, there is system synergy and how we hear differently (it would seem).  Is there any amp that is perfect with every speaker? 

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:51 am »
The nCore design is a few years older than Maraschino.  You say you have the "amp thing" covered, but maybe you can still give the Maraschino a listen if the opportunity arises.  Lots of Cherry Amp (not necessarily Maraschino, but older "big Cherries") owners are using them to drive Maggies.
Here's a related thread in our circle, in case anyone's interested:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125931

I'm certain the Marachino's are fine amps, they certainly look awesome, and while I've never heard any of your amps, your reputation is sterling. I have no doubt I would love your amps.

Ncores are a few years older yes, but they aren't old, we're talking 3 years here, and they were/are a technological breakthrough, and are probably the reference standard for class D amps. As we all know, the specs are incredible.

But I imagine there are plenty of people not interested in building a set of amps, or having DIY amps (although mine have been bullet proof, and have also been through two cross country tours. These are stout amps), and would rather have something with a nice case and a warrantee, like yours, especially if your specs are anything close.

Like I said, I'm sure they are great amps, probably well suited for Maggies, and if they have any sort of subtle pleasing coloration, you've probably found the right crowd.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2015, 04:37 pm »
This "vs ncore" thread links back here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125931.0

Mag 1.7s driven with Maraschino (similar specs):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133317.msg1413945#msg1413945

The 1.7s are just about my favorite "budget" speaker system now.  Talk about a wall of sound!  Definitely my pick for comparing amps because they reveal so much.  They do very well WITHOUT a sub, too.

Anyone on this thread currently using ncore on the 1.7s and local to PA/NJ?

-Tommy O

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:07 am »
AmpDesigner333,
An early Ncore adoptee generously put up a unit for a road show which is how they developed such a following on this site.
Perhaps you should do the same with a demo unit and let the chips fall where they may. 
If not, let's keep the Maraschino versus Ncore debate over in the Commercial Section, please.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:31 am »
There were some people that used the NC400 with Maggies. 

The first tour thread is here. The second is here.  Then the tour listening impressions are here. 

Of course this question could be asked in the Hypex Owners Circle too. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2015, 01:56 pm »
Thanks for the links Jason, it was fun reading the old tour threads.  The Ncores worked very well with my modified MMGs and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with 1.7s. 

cab

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:28 pm »
I've heard ncore with 1.6 maggies and with tympani's. Excellent combo.....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2015, 06:51 pm »
I've heard ncore with 1.6 maggies and with tympani's. Excellent combo.....
As in Tympani 1D's? 

cab

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2015, 07:11 pm »
IVa's...