Just joined the family

kruppy

Just joined the family
« on: 10 Feb 2015, 12:41 am »
Just joined the Modwright family.  I've been wanting a tubed pre-amp for a long time.  Just picked up a LS100 and can't wait to get it set up in my system.  It ships Wednesday and I don't think I can wait long.

Lizard84

Re: Just joined the family
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2015, 04:02 pm »
Congrats & Enjoy!

I have an LS-100 myself.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2015, 04:05 pm »
Congrats & Enjoy!

I have an LS-100 myself.

+1 - Enjoy :thumb:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2015, 08:51 pm »

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2015, 10:38 pm »
Another +1

Guess that makes me plus three

maxboy00

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2015, 12:03 am »
Congrats on your purchase!

Modwright is a great company with great products!

skriefal

• SLC, Utah
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2015, 01:40 am »
I also enjoy my LS-100.  Guess that makes me +4.

kruppy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2015, 04:53 pm »
Thanks guys!  This will be my first tube preamp outside of my Schiit Lyr 2 head phone amp/preamp.  The LS100 will be mated with Martin Logan Ascents and a Rotel 1072 (Haven't made the jump to digital yet).

From an amp standpoint, I'm screwed right now as really want at a KWA150SE amp (can't afford).  I'm aiming for a KWA100SE to start off and eventually vertically bi-amp with a second KWA100SE as Dan thinks a single KWA100SE won't have enough grunt to handle the Ascents.  The problem is that I can't afford the KWA100SE just yet, so I'm amp-less and might have to settle on a cheap short term solution until my funds are there.

kruppy

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2015, 04:36 pm »
I am compelled to add to this post.  I am so happy with my LS 100 purchase. 

I have made a couple of changes to my system at the same time, added a PS Audio P10 Regenerator and my current amplifier is an Emotiva XPA 3 (please don't hold that against me).  The XPA 3 will move to the home theater duty once I save enough cash for a KSA 100SE (gonna take some time).

I have been in a love hate relationship with my Martin Logan Ascents for quite some time.  Right now they sing.  I have more precise imaging, so much less sibilance and I'm happy with the sound.

I just wish I could buy the KSA 150SE right now to get the full Modwright affect.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2015, 04:59 pm »
I am compelled to add to this post.  I am so happy with my LS 100 purchase. 

What is it about the LS-100 that most impresses you?  What did you have before and how did things change?

Thanks! 

'brick

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:37 pm »
Hi, Kruppy.

I'm curious as well. What other preamps had you considered before you decided on the LS-100, and which features impress you most?

Michael

kruppy

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2015, 04:29 pm »
Ok, let me just say my high end experience is limited. 

My introduction to high end was an Adcom 565 pre and Adcom 535 amp both at the time while mid fi were bang for the buck units.  These drove Vandersteen 2Ce speakers.  I replaced the Adcom 535 with an Adcom 5800 (Nelson Pass Design).  The Vandersteens had a very romantic sound to them.  I held on to them for quite some time, however, I lusted over Martin Logans.   I ended up starting with SL3s with the Adcom equipment.  My preamp then changed to a PS Audio PCA-2 along with the 5800.  I was able to upgrade the SL3s to Ascents unfortunately due to someone else's financial misfortunes.  This has been a love hate relationship for a few years.

I don't think the PCA-2 was the best match for the Logan's.  I would get great sound and be disappointed with what I thought was mediocre but decent recordings.  At time things were too sterile.  So up to this date my experience was all with solid state.  The 5800 was a good (not great amp) with lots of head room.  What turned me to tubes was Schiit.  I bought a Schiit Lyr2 headphone amp and was impressed with the sound.  I have an old audio acquaintance that had suggested Modwright equipment in the past.  So I decided to go full blown tubes for my next pre amp.  What really drove me to the LS100 is that the balanced outputs (which are wired signal ended) can be used along with the single ended outputs at the same time.  The LS 36.5 you can not.  I need multiple outs for subs including balanced connections so I opted for the LS100.

I decided to sell my GFA 5800 due to age (almost 20 years old) and the fact that there weren't any on the market, so I figured it would go fast and it did.  I replaced it with a Emotiva XPA3 which I would say is comparable to the 5800.  My plan is to eventually get a KWA150SA and move the XPA3 to home theater duty.

With the Modwright the sound is fuller less sterile and just a little more up front.  Imagining is much more precise, less smeared.  I'm getting a more detailed sound too. Sibilance has been dramatically reduced.  Higher frequencies seem to be tamed, which I've had issues with.  I attribute this to the preamp rather than the amp.  I can't say that I'm getting the so called tube "bloom" sound.  It just sounds more realistic and musical for me.  I find myself moving my feet to the music more often. The PS Audio was originally not a cheap pre amp at $1800, but I feel like the Modwright just completely out classes it.

kruppy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm »
One additional thing to add, listener fatigue is non-existent so far.  With the PCA-2 there was only so much I could take before my ears needed a rest.

I also have to admit that I did not listen to any other options, I went only on the advice and expectations from a friend and after talking to Dan.  Other pre amps I was interested in were the Pass Labs X2.5 which my plan would have been to mate with a X250 or X250.5.  I've lusted after a Plinius SA103, but with Dan's demo sales, I'm going Modwright all the way.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2015, 06:22 pm »
Hi, kruppy.

Thank you for replying and giving us some background. I find it educational to read other people's trials and errors along their paths to audio excellence. This helps me to practice more patience when I get the itch to upgrade. Patience allows me to make a much more informed decision after considerable research (both reading and listening).

I've got what I consider to be a pretty nice preamp (AVA Transcendence 8 tube preamp). I know there are better preamps out there, but I also know I don't need to rush out and spend >$2000 on a new unit any time soon. However, my current DAC (Cambridge Audio's DACMagic Plus) is the weak link in my system and I'm certain it is holding everything else back. I want to audition offerings by iFi, Eastern Electric, NuPrime, and Chord (and anything else that pops up on my radar). The insane part of me tells me to buy the Auralic Vega, but the saner part reminds me how important my marriage is. When I get excited about this or that DAC, I remind myself how rapidly DAC technology has changed just in the last two years. This forces me to cool down in order to wait a few more months to see what else develops. I surely wish to avoid spending $3000 on a wonderful DAC only to discover it has been overshadowed by a new (and far cheaper) DAC six months later.   

Back to Modwright products. I'm fortunate in that I have a buddy (aldcoll) who owns a MW amp (15 minute drive away), and I live within easy driving distance of the MW factory. One day soon, I may just drive up for an audition.

Enjoy!

Michael

kruppy

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2015, 01:14 pm »
Michael,
No problem, I also enjoy reading other people's stories to audio bliss (or in some cases their mistakes).  Mine has been a very long one due to lack of financial abilities.  Every piece in my system is used or a demo piece as I just can't afford new equipment prices.  My only regret so far is that I did not get a Modwright preamp a few years ago when I was lead in that direction.  I'm now pushing myself hard to find a way to get a KSA150SE.  At that point my system will be in very good shape until I start getting into computer based sources.  My Rotel 1072 has been a good workhorse and again high quality bang for the buck piece.  I'm afraid to start looking into DACs as that seems to be the area where technology is changing way too fast for me to keep up.

Cheers,
Bob (Kruppy)

jimbones

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:14 pm »
I own a KWA 100SE. I absolutely love it. I definitely agree with the characterization of on the "warm side of neutral". I will be getting a LS100 w/phono soon. I'll post after I have had a chance to compare it to my Audio Research SP8.

jimbones

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2015, 01:31 am »
OK so i got an LS100 and i am not used to the sound. I am coming from an Audio Research SP8 which is an excellent preamp in its own right. I guess my unit needs break in. :(

Lizard84

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2015, 12:02 pm »
Add me the the list of very happy LS-100 owners. :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2015, 12:55 pm »
OK so i got an LS100 and i am not used to the sound. I am coming from an Audio Research SP8 which is an excellent preamp in its own right. I guess my unit needs break in. :(

Inquiring minds want to know.   :dunno:

I just received my LS-100 with phono.  Dan even set it up for my Dynavector cartridge!    :hyper:  Due to some listening room renovations and business travel it'll be at least  10 days before I can fire it up.  :(

I'll soon post my SWL 9.0 SE with the latest power supply upgrade for sale.  And a Jolida phono preamp.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2015, 03:55 pm »
Add me the the list of very happy LS-100 owners. :thumb:
+1

I don't know the specific Audio Research (SP8) that jimbones has, but based on what I know of AR, it's definitely going to sound different from a ModWright.

Also, you can start the never ending adventure of rolling the tubes. I went with Black Treasures almost immediately along with an old Mullard 5AR4 and haven't looked back. Incredible soundstage along with smooth, musical presentation.