Suggestions for a 3.1 HT/music system?

fishboat

Suggestions for a 3.1 HT/music system?
« on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm »
I'm a long-term 2 channel audio guy and have spent very little time thinking about home theater...so I'd appreciate a little help.

I'd like to put together a 3.1 HT system (L, R, Center, Sub, & Receiver) for my girlfriend. She's not fond of lots of equipment, wires, speakers everywhere and she lives in a condo so I think a simple 3.1 system should be more than enough for her needs. This purchase won't be the first step in an ongoing higher-demand upgrade path..just one purchase for decent sound and move on to other concerns..

She'll use the system about 50/50 for music/HT. It should be bluetooth capable so she can stream pandora..etc.. from her phone to the system.

Budget..maybe $400 max?

(A HTiB wouldn't be out of the question..I picked up a Onkyo 7.1 system years ago and it's been fine.  A 5.1 HTiB option for my GF might be ok..it appears there are more options in 5.1 than 3.1..)

Any ideas? Receiver make/models, speaker/sub make models?

thx in advance..

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Suggestions for a 3.1 HT/music system?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:56 pm »
You would be better off with a 2.1 configuration.   You can get better speakers and sub with better sound.

Get a pair of Elac B5's for $200pr, a Parts Express sub for $100 or this yamaha sub-

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamystsw012bl2/yamaha-yst-sw012-8-100-watt-powered-subwoofer-black/1.html#!specifications

And this Onkyo receiver-

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr343/onkyo-tx-sr343-5.1-ch-x-65-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2016, 04:08 pm »
It doesn't sound like her requirements are big. I'd go simple.

This Denon AVR - $160 (or that Onkyo)

and these Fluance speakers - $200

If she later wants a little more UMPF in the bass add t
he Dayton sub. $120 This will sound really good to her - and you.

Or if you are going to add the sub - these $100 Fluance speakers.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2016, 04:53 pm »
One other suggestion.  Consider a pair of floor standers like these Polk TS X330T's for $300pr.  No need for speaker stands and you can get by without a subwoofer due to their deeper bass and larger sound.  Although I suspect that the Elac B5's or B6's will give a more refined and better sound.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_12000/Floor-standing-Speakers.html?&pg=1

fishboat

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:08 pm »
You would be better off with a 2.1 configuration.   You can get better speakers and sub with better sound.

Get a pair of Elac B5's for $200pr, a Parts Express sub for $100 or this yamaha sub-

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamystsw012bl2/yamaha-yst-sw012-8-100-watt-powered-subwoofer-black/1.html#!specifications

And this Onkyo receiver-

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr343/onkyo-tx-sr343-5.1-ch-x-65-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

Interesting coincidence on the Elac b5's..  I ran across and have been researching the Pioneer SP-BS22's, along with the matching center channel(C22) and sub(8MK2).    I saw some mention of the Elacs, but hadn't looked into them yet.

Thanks to both responses/suggestions...more options to look into.   

fishboat

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:19 pm »
Oh..and I was narrowing down to an Onkyo receiver.    I've seen several references suggesting a 2.1 system would be better than a 3.1.  Trading fewer pieces for better sound works for me. The system won't be for critical listening(have my system for that)...are there any content-losses incurred by running just 2.1 or can the receiver accommodate being set up in a 2.1 configuration?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:35 pm »
There should be no problems running 2.1.  That is what I run after briefly messing with 5.1 and 3.1.

Those Elac speakers are much better than the Pioneers.  There is a lot of info on them here on the AC forum.  If you can swing the Elac B6's you will get better bass.  I am going to buy a pair a bedroom system.  They were the rage of the Newport Audio Show a year ago. Pairing them with a Parts Express (Dayton Audio) sub would be a nice cheap way to go for good sound.

fishboat

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:51 pm »
There should be no problems running 2.1.  That is what I run after briefly messing with 5.1 and 3.1.

Those Elac speakers are much better than the Pioneers.  There is a lot of info on them here on the AC forum.  If you can swing the Elac B6's you will get better bass.  I am going to buy a pair a bedroom system.  They were the rage of the Newport Audio Show a year ago. Pairing them with a Parts Express (Dayton Audio) sub would be a nice cheap way to go for good sound.

Cool..thx!  I'll do some reading on them..they seem like a good fit.  Do the B5's need stands or will they do ok on a shelf on either side of the tv?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:00 pm »
Cool..thx!  I'll do some reading on them..they seem like a good fit.  Do the B5's need stands or will they do ok on a shelf on either side of the tv?

Stands would be better but they will work on a shelf

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/elac-debut-b5-bookshelf-speakers-pr

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/elac-debut-b6-bookshelf-speakers-pr

fishboat

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2016, 07:59 pm »
Yeah..I figured..I have a set of heavy, iron stands with spikes...but...it's my GF's place and what looks aesthetically pleasing to her rules..so if the stands ain't makin' it visually..then they'll sit in my basement rather than her living room.  I may get by with building a set of wooden pedestals to match her TV stand..fill them with sand..spike them to the floor..  Have to see what she wants/likes..

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2016, 08:14 pm »
I went with a 3.1 setup on our main floor and used a soundbar and sub.

Simple enough that my family can use it, and when they want a truly immersive experience we retreat to the 5.1 setup in the basement.

All depends what you (collectively!) are looking for.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2016, 11:48 pm »
Size of TV?

Could/would it be mounted on a TV stand?

Room size?

Without knowing the above, I'd recommend a sound bar, such as the $300 ZVOX SoundBase 570 (30"Sound Bar with Built-In Subwoofer and Bluetooth).  Haven't heard it, but it's bound to have better sound than the TV, won't take much space, and should be simply to hook up.

fishboat

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:57 am »
Size of TV?

Room size?

I'll be working on her place in a couple days...I'll be taking some measurements.  I'd guess the tv is about 60".  It sits on a 24ish inch high, narrow parsons table.

fishboat

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2016, 01:25 pm »
Size of TV?

Room size?

TV is 56 inch

TV is on a narrow parsons table 18 inches high

Room is 15.5 x 16.5 feet..TV is on the 16.5 foot wall.  Ceiling is 8 feet

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2016, 11:36 am »
Thinking like Mark (msgsxr), that a simple 3.1 soundbar/wireless sub with Bluetooth would be best.  Ideally it would be close to the width of the TV and depth (table top soundbar) of the parson's table to maximize width of soundstage, bass performance, and stability of the TV.  Note that many "3.1" soundbars have only 2 channels.

How much depth on the parson's table would be available for a thin soundbar? 

How deep is the base of the TV?

Something like the Zvox soundbase.450 looks promising.  Currently $220, 3.5"x27.5"x14.5", built-in sub, 3 channels, made of wood/aluminum so can support 70 pounds, designed for 32-55" TVs, Bluetooth compatible.

fishboat

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2016, 02:01 pm »
Hmm..interesting suggestion.  I wouldn't have considered this, but it may be a good option..thx to Mark & yourself..  Definitely very clean looking and I'm sure she'd be satisfied with the sound.  One issue with the Zvox (at least) is Bluetooth incompatibility with Apple iPhones, tablets..etc. As usual (I'm not an apple fan) Apple needs to be "different" (aka..buy everything only from us..at a premium price..pita).  I have Android..she has Apple..and hates it, but locked in for 1.5 years more.  I'll poke around for similar options..

fishboat

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2016, 03:15 pm »
..continued research..  If someone could confirm this I'd really appreciate it..it appears bluetooth on apple devices (specifically iphone) will connect to aptX enabled bluetooth devices..but just won't take advantage of the aptX codec.  The bluetooth connection will just default to the highest quality codec available to both sending & receiving bluetooth devices..True?

srb

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2016, 03:17 pm »
True.

aptX Enhanced is a lossy codec with a maximum bitrate of 384kbps (~ 4:1 compression).  aptX Lossless is a hybrid coding scheme and can acheive short term bitrate bursts of 500 - 900kbps depending on the program material, supports 24/96 resolution and can deliver 20KHz response and 120dB dynamic range.

With well implemented aptX Losless on both transmitting and receiving devices I think most people would say aptX Losless was a notch up in sound quality over SBC Bluetooth, but it's still not "CD quality" or completely lossless.

Steve