Power Cable Length to UberBuss

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Power Cable Length to UberBuss
« on: 11 Jun 2014, 12:34 pm »
How much of an affect will power cable length have on the UberBuss and components connected to it?  I'm going to take my Uber elsewhere and will need to use a 20' power cable.  It will be very high quality 12AWG but I'm curious what affect, if any, it will have. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Power Cable Length to UberBuss
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:39 pm »
How much of an affect will power cable length have on the UberBuss and components connected to it?  I'm going to take my Uber elsewhere and will need to use a 20' power cable.  It will be very high quality 12AWG but I'm curious what affect, if any, it will have.
Good question... thanks.

Doing the math will tell us that cable length to the Uber is less important than cable geometry.  The difference in resistance is small over an additional 15' length.  The resistance of 12 ga wire is approximately 1.6 milli-ohms per foot.  A 5' (1.5m) cable is ~ .008 ohms and 20' is .032 ohms.  Doubling that will give you the loop resistance and you can calculate the voltage drop which is roughly 0.1 V.  Not a lot of difference compared to the daily fluctuations in wall voltage.  Dynamic current is similarly effected.  The Uber will pretty much take care of these small differences (PFC at work).

That is what the math says.

Now:  my experience tempered with that of many, many others.

Bigger is always better.  For an Uber I recommend at least a 12ga cable for a 1.5m length.  I would personally use a 10ga (at least) cable for that distance.  The inner detail will improve.  That is tha spaces between the notes.  Micro and macro dynamics increase.  And so on >>>>>>>>>>>

Putting all of the EBS aside 12ga will work .  10ga will work better.  Just sayin'.  I will bet that Pete will have something to add here.   :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2014, 08:14 pm »
No idea how I missed this but thanks Dave.   :thumb:   I still love my Uber's! 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:46 am »
No idea how I missed this but thanks Dave.   :thumb:   I still love my Uber's!
I like hearing that!  Makes me happy, happy, happy.

One thing I should have added is to make sure all of the connectors are pristinely clean.  On the Wattgates that I use I disassemble them and polish the Edison plug mating areas (contacts) on a buffing wheel and with a lap I made for the IEC connectors.  Grungy and or rough contacts create RFI.  Not much, but every little bit sucks.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2014, 03:12 am »
I like hearing that!  Makes me happy, happy, happy.

One thing I should have added is to make sure all of the connectors are pristinely clean.  On the Wattgates that I use I disassemble them and polish the Edison plug mating areas (contacts) on a buffing wheel and with a lap I made for the IEC connectors.  Grungy and or rough contacts create RFI.  Not much, but every little bit sucks.
Good to know.  I'll retreat all of them with Caig when I move the unit.  I'm going to take the unit on the road so that will be the perfect time to do so.   :thumb: