Maraschino and Maggies

mfsoa

Maraschino and Maggies
« on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:15 am »
I've read some posts that claimed that Digital Amp Co amps work well w/ Maggies but had not heard this myself. Until last weekend.

Tommy and I were at an audio buds house and after we rocked his system with a pr of Maraschinos driving Gallo 3.1s (compared to the 20 yr old SS amps the owner used, the improvement wrought w/ the Maras was huge) we visited an old friend of mine who has a pr of Maggie 1.7s (thanks Gopher!) and hooked the amps up there. The rest of the system was a VAC preamp and a Peachtree DaciT. Previous amp was a DAC Cherry Jr. from several years ago.

After a quick setup and speaker alignment (and turning off the sub) we went to work listening.

Well I don't know what overused audio superlatives to use - they all apply. The sound was exceptional, in the large basement. I didn't think the Maggies could do bass with such impact.
The amps (w/ dual 60V supplies) were completely strain-free at substantial volume.

I asked my friend to write something T could post - he's not a forum dweller - and all I got back was "It is da bomb".

I joked with Tommy that we were not going to go home with those amps but Tommy really wanted to keep them. I was right - the amps stayed and my friend is a happy camper.

I'd love to hear these amps on the bigger models someday, but for now I am sure that the Marachino/1.7 pairing was just fabulous.

(Interestingly, at the Gallo owners house we compared some inexpensive RCA-XLR adapters to my Cardas ones, and the Cardas ones were distinctly better. So if you need to adapt, consider the possibility that different adapters may sound different. My pestering of Tommy for RCA inputs on DAC amps continues... :thumb:)
-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Maraschino and Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2015, 11:27 am »
Thanks, Mike!   The RCA debate continues.....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2015, 10:26 pm »
Check this out:
http://kck.st/1EKKHSt

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2015, 01:44 am »
My MMGs should arrive tomorrow.  Very excited. 

My wife is rolling her eyes every time I talk about it.  C'est la vie.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:55 am »
Check this out:
I really wanted to mention my father but was talked out of it.  He was an engineer (deceased 2003) and taught me how to bias a transistor when I was like 10!  He was also an audiophile, but couldn't afford (mostly due to paying for his kids' education) equipment so he built stuff instead. I'll never forget when he finally stashed enough away to buy a pair of Mags!

It's times like these when I miss him the most.  :.(

-Tommy O

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:04 am »
 8)
My Cherries feeding my 25 year old MG-IIIa right now..  :thumb:
Oh and my Tortuga pre makes the Cherries sing beautiful music.  :thumb:
Oh man I love made in the USA.  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2015, 02:40 am »
One week to go and half way there!  Come on, people now!  Smile on your brother!

We also added Desktop Maraschino rewards!

Sold out of MINT prototypes so we added a few more.

Thanks!

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2015, 04:15 am »
MMG's plus a sealed sub =  :o :o

mittg

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2017, 04:40 am »
I have a pair of Magnepan 3.6r's. They are driven with a pair of Golden Cherry Mono blocks. Excellent sound. The bass is tight.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2017, 01:15 pm »
Customer upgrades both his Mags and his amps (now Golden Cherry)!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.msg1607416#msg1607416

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2017, 02:50 pm »
Lets not forget the Acoustats out there. I picked these model 1100s up recently and had the good fortune of listening to them with the 48V Maraschinos while Tommy was building my Super Cherry amp. What I heard thru them with the maraschinos was stellar although as Tommy and I agreed the 60V would've perhaps been more ideal power wise. But the big chassis Cherry can really flesh them out also, very pleased indeed.

Hopeful to get the Mega upgrade down the road, surely it will be something to behold .......