Off Ramp 5 in my system

woodcans

Re: Off Ramp 5 in my system
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2012, 01:57 pm »
I will throw my 2 cents in. I just upgraded from a loaded OR4 to the OR5. The improvement in my system with these converters is not subtle. In my experience, a quality USB converter is just as (if not more) important as the DAC. My system sounds phenomenal with the OR5. It is so good, I actually sold my vinyl rig!  :o And I never thought that day would come, but I haven't looked back and I'm listening to more music than ever. Thanks Steve!

wisnon

« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2012, 01:37 am »
How loaded is the OR5 that you have?

Audioexcels

« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2012, 04:47 am »
I will throw my 2 cents in. I just upgraded from a loaded OR4 to the OR5. The improvement in my system with these converters is not subtle. In my experience, a quality USB converter is just as (if not more) important as the DAC. My system sounds phenomenal with the OR5. It is so good, I actually sold my vinyl rig!  :o And I never thought that day would come, but I haven't looked back and I'm listening to more music than ever. Thanks Steve!

What mods did your OR4 have and what mods does your OR5 have?

edorr

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2012, 03:11 pm »
I took possesion of my OR5 last week-end. It replaced an HiFace EVO with Boulder powersupply and it was a substantial step up. I was planning to get my Bolder converted to 12v, and then a used Monolith showed up audiogon, which I scooped up. This was a revelation. If you want the most from you Offramp, you need the powersupply. In simple terms, more bass, more detail and generally more musical. Interesting factiod. I use the OR5 with a PS audio perfectwave MKII, but I am not using the I2S, because it runs through a Trinnov digital processor first. I use the DAC in asynchronous mode (it buffers and reclocks the signal), yet the better clocking of the OR5 still makes a big difference.

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2012, 04:46 pm »
I took possesion of my OR5 last week-end. It replaced an HiFace EVO with Boulder powersupply and it was a substantial step up. I was planning to get my Bolder converted to 12v, and then a used Monolith showed up audiogon, which I scooped up. This was a revelation. If you want the most from you Offramp, you need the powersupply. In simple terms, more bass, more detail and generally more musical. Interesting factiod. I use the OR5 with a PS audio perfectwave MKII, but I am not using the I2S, because it runs through a Trinnov digital processor first. I use the DAC in asynchronous mode (it buffers and reclocks the signal), yet the better clocking of the OR5 still makes a big difference.

Ed - have you tried Native mode yet?  Is it better than NativeX?

Steve N.

edorr

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2012, 02:36 am »
I switched between Native and NativeX a bit and believe I have a slight preference for NativeX. However, the difference is small, and I can't be sure I could pick a winner in a double blind.

woodcans

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2012, 01:42 pm »
What mods did your OR4 have and what mods does your OR5 have?

OR5 has all options, OR4 had all but the most recent $75-100 upgrade (don't remember exactly what the upgrade was/is).

audioengr

« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2012, 05:34 pm »
OR5 has all options, OR4 had all but the most recent $75-100 upgrade (don't remember exactly what the upgrade was/is).

This upgrade to OR4 places more of the circuitry under the USB Hynes reg, and changes the I2S terminator.

Steve N.

edorr

« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2012, 07:19 pm »
Steve, as you know I am using the monolith. I usually have a 2 hour listening session each evening. I then leave everything on and go to sleep. This drains the full battery and does a full recharge every day. Seems wastefull for just two hours listening. Is there a way to preserve battery life, with a different charge cycle?

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2012, 11:42 pm »
Steve, as you know I am using the monolith. I usually have a 2 hour listening session each evening. I then leave everything on and go to sleep. This drains the full battery and does a full recharge every day. Seems wastefull for just two hours listening. Is there a way to preserve battery life, with a different charge cycle?

Yes, if you close out of your player S/W, which you should, then you can just switch the Monolith off and then on again.  This will immediately start the charge cycle.  You cannot enable the battery again until it is fully charged.

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2012, 02:23 am »
I've been using the OR5 in my system for a few months now and am impressed with its performance.  The OR5 outputs a cleaner, more finely resolved signal than the OR4, which the OR5 replaced.  Your stuff keeps getting better, Steve.  Cutting edge. 

wisnon

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2012, 07:50 am »
I've been using the OR5 in my system for a few months now and am impressed with its performance.  The OR5 outputs a cleaner, more finely resolved signal than the OR4, which the OR5 replaced.  Your stuff keeps getting better, Steve.  Cutting edge.

Is this a basic OR5 or do you have SPDIF/HDMI Hynes regs options?

serengetiplains

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2012, 07:32 pm »
I have an S/PDIF Hynes reg option and the dual Turboclock.  My previous OR (an OR4) was modded by me with Hynes regs throughout, the difference being it used Audiocom Ultraclocks.  Steve's Turboclock, I infer, factors materially in the upgrade the OR5 offers.  OR5 = happy.  :D

wisnon

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm »
I have an S/PDIF Hynes reg option and the dual Turboclock.  My previous OR (an OR4) was modded by me with Hynes regs throughout, the difference being it used Audiocom Ultraclocks.  Steve's Turboclock, I infer, factors materially in the upgrade the OR5 offers.  OR5 = happy.  :D

Wow, the full enchilada.
Here I was thinking that my used or4 with usb hynes and turboclox was already impressive.

Audioexcels

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jun 2012, 05:31 am »
Wow, the full enchilada.
Here I was thinking that my used or4 with usb hynes and turboclox was already impressive.

Read what he says, "Steve's Turboclock, I infer, factors materially in the upgrade the OR5 offers."

But in speaking with Steve, he says the OR4 w/Hynes and turboclocks is inferior to a Standard OR5 w/Hynes ONLY upgrade...

So obviously, the OR5, even with whatever clocking it has, is structurally a different beast.  I have heard the OR4 fully modded with turbo clocks and the OR5 w/Hynes only, and the OR5 was a night/day difference.  I doubt most out there would hear this difference, but in Steve's system, it was clearly night/day.  That night/day sound difference being that one did something more correct/right than the other.  I didn't focus on all the adjectives/specifics/bs, just what sounded right and not quite as right.  OR4 modded to heck was VERY GOOD, but OR5 w/Hynes USB only was flat out better.  But I have to emphasize, YMMV and if you have to "listen" for it, you should not even consider/concern yourself about which one you should be owning.  It should be "immediate" and "clearly" night/day.

Cheers!

Audioexcels

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2012, 05:34 am »

Very good way of describing it.  My thoughts exactly.  I didn't get into jotting down all the adjectives of what one did vs. another, but his OR4 modded w/turbo clocks/Hynes/etc. didn't have that same "output" or certain "sound" that is more refined as you stated.  Was this difference something you heard as a night/day from the get go or did it take you a while to hear it?

wisnon

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm »
My understanding was that a fully modded OR4 was about the same as a stock OR5 and the big difference came from the Spdif/HDMI hynes.

Cost of the Fully modded used OR4 is about the same as a stock OR5.

serengetiplains

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:45 pm »
Was this difference something you heard as a night/day from the get go or did it take you a while to hear it?

The difference was immediately apparent as I could hear details and nuances in favourite recordings I hadn't heard before---for instance in Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D Sessions, which I've listened to for over 10 years.  That CD is only a moderately good recording, but it came alive more than it has for me previously.  Hearing changes like that is something of a litmus test for me.  The feeling I get with the OR5 is of a more relaxed presentation, a reduction of noise that allows low-level subtleties through.

Audioexcels

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jun 2012, 04:55 am »
My understanding was that a fully modded OR4 was about the same as a stock OR5 and the big difference came from the Spdif/HDMI hynes.

Cost of the Fully modded used OR4 is about the same as a stock OR5.

This is interesting.  I have been told the OR4 w/Hynes+Turbo Clocks is better than a stock OR5, but if they are equal, then yes, an OR5 would be the best buy since you can always start stock, or even add the Hynes for now, and later on, just upgrade from wherever you start from.

Audioexcels

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jun 2012, 04:57 am »
The difference was immediately apparent as I could hear details and nuances in favourite recordings I hadn't heard before---for instance in Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D Sessions, which I've listened to for over 10 years.  That CD is only a moderately good recording, but it came alive more than it has for me previously.  Hearing changes like that is something of a litmus test for me.  The feeling I get with the OR5 is of a more relaxed presentation, a reduction of noise that allows low-level subtleties through.

This is fantastic:)!  So you get 1) More detail retrieval AND 2) A more relaxed or call it, "balanced"-"effortless" type of experience.

Now how does this get improved on is the big ???  I know the Overdrive SE wouldn't hurt (well the pockets maybe), but I'm sure wondering just how far Steve can possibly take the Off-Ramp say, two years from now?