Super Fet Pre-amp, power amp and tuner from Jensen`s Stereo Shop in 1980.

heiba

Can Frank imagine why this system was not wired for 230 volt (for Norway) when it was sold? Well, I can buy a
230/120 volt transformer, anyway.

Ola,

in Norway
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2023, 08:11 pm by heiba »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Export model?

charmerci

I had mine converted to 230V when I went to France and he kept the American plugs on it so it might be wired for Europe. (I just use a plug converter to use mine.     

Did you check the Jensen's label on the back? If I remember correctly, it might say 'for 230V use.'

heiba

Thank you for your reply. 120 volt 60Hz  is printed on the back. Well, now I believe  each component
was wired/converted to 230V from the outset. Wonder how I can find out without risking anything?

Ola

avahifi

The power transformers in these units had dual primary windings, and could be done for either 120 or 240V.

Call me with the units at hand and their covers off so we can determine the way they are now wired.

651-330-9871

You MUST use your variac to bring the AC line voltage up very slowly, over a period of hours, a small bit of voltage increase at a time, to avoid destroying the power supply electrolytic capacitors.  A "hard" turn on to full line voltage will likely short out and damage these old parts, especially if they have been unused for many years.

Frank Van Alstine

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Heiba, I read what Frank said and would like to add something. According to this amp book I have it says never to run an amp without a resistive load (speakers). I would hook up your some speakers to the amp while it is being brought up with the Variovac. Before Frank answered you I wanted to tell you I have saved all the older Jensens Stereo Shop catalogs from the later 70's on and would be glad to make copies so you knew what you have. I never throw any audio lit away,I'm like a hoarder. Also Frank has a news letter from 1980 on, on his site called Audio Basics that is for free and will also explain what you got there as well as Frank could himself. I had the modified Dyna-SCA-80Q, the best sounding amp I've ever owned. Somehow a freind lost it on me and is very vague about the story.....take care...Mark Korda

heiba

Hi Mark
Thank you. I am familiar with Audio Basics as I was a subscriber during the
1980s. Bought my Super Pas 2 in 1985 - later upgraded to Super Pas 3, if
I remember correctly.  I have  more  and newer AVA stuff  as well. I'll
do as you say and have speakers connected. The Jensen Stereo Shop literature
is interesting.

Ola

dB Cooper

IIRC, Frank can still build in the PAT5 and ST150 boxes. If you send them in for upgrades I bet he'd check the wiring in them for no extra charge  :icon_twisted:

avahifi

Hi Ola,

From your good photos, it appears that all three units are indeed wired for 240V operation.

I still advise you to bring each up very slowly on an AC variac to insure proper slow "forming" of the power supply electrolytic capacitors.

With a meter, monitor the DC voltage at the output terminals of the power amplifier power supply capacitors (the terminals that are not tied completely together across all four capacitors).

The positive terminals should come up to about +65V DC at the positive terminals and -65V DC at the negative terminals.

Also can you please let me know the part number of the AVA audio PC card that is installed in this amplifier?  It should have a number shown on the foil side of the board, perhaps PC-3.

If you would ever want to send the power amp back for a major upgrade to a Synergy 300 I would like this old PC card back as it predates my computer records and I have no information about it here other then knowing it was a nice sounding circuit for its age.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Speedskater

• Kevin
I believe that the "never to run an amp without a resistive load (speakers)" applies mostly to vacuum tube amplifiers.
But never connect any good loudspeaker to an old unused amplifier until it has been test operated for several hours.

heiba

The system is now playing with both FM and vinyl as sources. There is some channel drop-out, so a cleaning of contacts and push-buttons is the next step.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2019, 04:33 am by heiba »

heiba

I've tested the system with two LPs today, works great.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2019, 04:32 am by heiba »