Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

modwright

I absolutely plan on pursuing a tube mod for the Oppo BDP-105 that will be similar to and if anything, better than, the tube stage and supply that we use in the Oppo 95.  I don't know when these will be released and of course there is not only a price difference in the units ($1200 for 105 vs. $499 for 103), but our tube mods will be no LESS than $2K.

So, my question is, is there interest in a lesser cost, non-tube mod for the Oppo 103?  If there is sufficient interest, then we can start working on this right away.

Please post your thoughts here as I am greatly interested.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2013, 06:43 pm by modwright »

vin69

I am interested in mods for 103. Excited to see what you have to offer for 103. Surprised nobody at AC has shown interest yet for mods on 103.

modwright

Well, everyone is waiting for the 105 mods I believe, but they are two different products and the mods are at two distinctly different price-points.

The tube mod for the $1200 Oppo 105 will be $2K+.

The mod that I am considering for the $500 103 would be in the $500-$750 range and not include tubes.

Thank you for  your interest and lets see if there are others.  To be honest, I have to have interest, if I am going to spend the time to develop the mod.  The interest is significant in the 105 I already know.  I would expect there to be interest in the 103 mods also, as I expect that stock unit is a GREAT BARGAIN for $500 and offers SO much already.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
I just received my BDP 103.  I use it to play back multi-channel files from my PC via HDMI.  What do you have in mind for this unit given its modest DAC chip and output stage? 

Russ

navin

The mod that I am considering for the $500 103 would be in the $500-$750 range and not include tubes.
I would expect there to be interest in the 103 mods also, as I expect that stock unit is a GREAT BARGAIN for $500 and offers SO much already.

The 105 will retail for about $1200. The 103 retails for about $500. Unless the mods make the 103 sound better than a 105 I dont see a value proposition.

irishnutter

I'd be very interested in mods for the 105 but would prefer something in the $1K range (vs. the $2K tube-based mods you envision).

irishnutter

On second thought, I might opt for the tube mod myself.  Dan - from the time you get a 105, what is the timeframe for you to design, test and formally introduce the mods?

Jeffy

I don't think DAN will be ready to MOD the 105 until June, my guess.

JerryH

If the Mod for the 103 is similar to the SS mod on the BDP 95, it will be very worthwhile. Really is a substantial upgrade IMO. Of course the tube mod is better, but I was really happy with that SS mod. Could really hit the sweet spot for more budget constrained audiophiles.

Jon L

I'm sure many would be interested in an awesome discrete-output solid state 2-channel mod for the Oppo 105 that costs significantly less than the tube mod. 

I really think Oppo has raised the bar by implementing asynchronous USB input for the 105, but personally they should have not bothered with the headphone output and decrease the price instead.

modwright

Hi and thank you all for your feedback.

First of all, it will NOT be as late as June before we have the tube mod for the 105.  If they release the unit by year's end as anticipated, it will not take long to get the tube mod worked out for the 105.  We will start with the existing mod board for the 95 and adapt the overall layout to allow for installation in the 105.  From there, I have some ideas for improving both the power supply and tube circuit.  Because of how they have split the outputs from the multi-DAC Saber module, I will have to work out the best way to do this.

We also already have a discrete circuit design that could be adapated to the this unit and would be at a lesser cost than the tube mod.

I will of course entertain both options.  I just need to get my hands on a 105.

RE the 103, point is well made!  Given the $700 price difference, if we were to produce a $500-$700 mod for the 103, it would HAVE to outperform the 105.

A possible misconception here also, is that the Crystal Semi DAC used in the 103 is an 'inferior' product.  To be honest, Crystal has produced EXCEPTIONAL DACs for quite some time, and the analog stage for the 103 was redesigned by a sharp designer that I know and have worked with.  I don't like the fact that the 103 uses only a switched mode power supply.  THAT is a weak point, in my opinion.

I will investigate both and see what we can do!

Perhaps I should bring in a 103 and start there!  Anyone interested in having us take a look at their 103?  In return, you would receive a VERY good discount on the new mod developed.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
modwright@yahoo.com

irishnutter

Just got an email from Oppo - looks like the 105 is now shipping.

modwright

I received the same email.  Anyone interested in sending me their unit to develop the mods, will receive 50% off the final price.  It will not take long.

Email or call if interested!

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

talk2me

Hi Dan. Just spoke with Christine. I will send my 105 asap. My 105 just shipped from Oppo, and I am only 1 1/2 hours away from them. I am truly excited to have the best modder in the business work on my 105!

modwright

I am excited to start working on it!  I expect it will only take a few weeks to have the mods finalized!

Thanks!

Dan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Just spoke with Christine
She's really cool.  Spoke with her a bunch at RMAF.  :thumb:

talk2me

She's really cool.  Spoke with her a bunch at RMAF.  :thumb:

Dan, I am having my 105 sent directly to you from Oppo. :thumb:

MellowVelo

Dan,

Some folks at AVS Forum have pointed out that the new 105, compared to the 95, is AC coupled instead of DC coupled, and also that the DAC channels are no longer stacked. As you dig into the new 105, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on these design choices and whether this makes the 105 an inferior product to the 95.

Freo-1

I absolutely plan on pursuing a tube mod for the Oppo BDP-105 that will be similar to and if anything, better than, the tube stage and supply that we use in the Oppo 95.  I don't know when these will be released and of course there is not only a price difference in the units ($1200 for 105 vs. $499 for 103), but our tube mods will be no LESS than $2K.

So, my question is, is there interest in a lesser cost, non-tube mod for the Oppo 103?  If there is sufficient interest, then we can start working on this right away.

Please post your thoughts here as I am greatly interested.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
ModWright Instruments Inc.

Dan, the short answer is yes!
I have your Oppo tube mod for the 95 and love it.  I also have the full solid state mod for the HT on a 83 SE.  I would think a 103 solid state full channel mod would work great for the HT rig.

talk2me

Dan,

Some folks at AVS Forum have pointed out that the new 105, compared to the 95, is AC coupled instead of DC coupled, and also that the DAC channels are no longer stacked. As you dig into the new 105, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on these design choices and whether this makes the 105 an inferior product to the 95.

Dan has my 105 now. I will let him discuss his findings, but I can say with certainty, he is blown away by what he found under the top cover. It his on a much higher level than the 95 :thumb: