Tweaking on the new Wedgie (learn about baffle shapes)

Danny Richie

Jay and Don have made some Wedgie flat packs. The front baffle is now 1" thick verses the older one that was 3/4" thick. The tweeter is also now recessed into the rear of the baffle instead on mounting on its surface. It is very nicely done now.

However slight changes easily change the response and the short side wing and crossover got a little adjustment to form a more ideal response. To show how little changes can have such an effect on the response I went back and took measurements with no short side wing, and with the old side wing, and compared them to the new side wing that I just designed.

Here is a picture of the Wedgie on the test stand for measurements and no short side wing.

And here is the response.

Here it is with the old side wing.

And the response.

And now the new side wing.

Now check out the new response.

That thing is +/- about 1db over a really wide range. I also left it a little strong in the 350Hz range as the first order filter that most guys use to roll off the bottom end tends to drop the output below 400Hz. So this area will likely be down a db or so depending on the filter.

Here is a shot of the long wing side. I think I will have the top of this wing angled down about 3 degrees so that it doesn't create a straight line. Rounding the back top corner off would be good too.

And the side view from the short wing side.

These open baffle designs really like the asymmetrical side wing shapes. They really like an asymmetrical short wing too. It really helped extend the bottom end a little too. Compare the response of the new one with the old one. The new one is using our new GR Neo 3 too.  :green:

Here is the new response again. Note the gain in the bottom end. This will allow the lower crossover point to the servo subs to be a little lower.

And the old version.

jeffh

Re: Tweaking on the new Wedgie (learn about baffle shapes)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2018, 08:18 pm »
Wow, that is a really flat response. 
What process do you go through to create the side wing? 
Do you cut different shapes from cardboard?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2018, 08:25 pm »
Wow, that is a really flat response. 
What process do you go through to create the side wing? 
Do you cut different shapes from cardboard?

I start with cardboard, then a 3/4" sheet of foam, then MDF. 

And yes, that is an extremely flat response. And the best part is that by really working with the side wing shapes to adjust the response means that I only have to use a minimal number of crossover parts because I am not having to electrically adjust for response anomalies caused by the baffle size and shape. 

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:03 pm »
I like this design a lot. what kinda price point are you aiming to hit for this design?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:30 pm »
I like this design a lot. what kinda price point are you aiming to hit for this design?

$899 for everything including the flat pack.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:34 pm »
I'll add a couple shots of the baffle rear side and  showing how the tweeter mounts as well as the angled rabbets for the wings. With the new "short" wing,  we'll have  3 dowels and 3 screws    for each wing. 

Cabinets are  CNC machined from 1"  & .75" MEDEX

jay

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:36 pm »
$899 for everything including the flat pack.

oh it is higher than i thought. my thinking is that an open baffle design like this will need to be complemented by subwoofers, right? im saying this because the few OB designs that I have heard have much much larger woofers to be close to FR

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:47 pm »
oh it is higher than i thought. my thinking is that an open baffle design like this will need to be complemented by subwoofers, right? im saying this because the few OB designs that I have heard have much much larger woofers to be close to FR

The Wedgie is just the top half.

It was originally built with our Servo 8's. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151056.msg1616048#msg1616048

But the servo 12's in a base similar to this might be a better solution and something we are going to be matching up with themin the future. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135399.msg1448091#msg1448091

AKLegal

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2018, 10:59 pm »
I'll be the guy to ask the inevitable question that always gets asked when you do a new design.

How will these compare to the NX ottica monitors?
The neo 3 will be on right? 

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2018, 11:04 pm »
Danny, what is the width of the front and the length of the side panel?

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2018, 11:41 pm »
I increased teh baffle width slightly over the stock, they are approx 5.25"   wide  now to accomadate the larger  radius onthe edges
Wing length  is approx 15"  from   front of rabbet.....

jay

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2018, 12:31 am »
Jay.......do the flat packs ship from Canada?
Or maybe a better question is can they....

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2018, 03:08 am »
Jay.......do the flat packs ship from Canada?
Or maybe a better question is can they....

yeah Perry,  we can ship  them from   Canada if that works better ( for you, obviously it would).  Or even  better  possibly ?  I can   probably arrange    for you  to pick up in Calgary  if that works.  don has   some good contacts there, I'm sure we could work something  out

jay

openbaffled

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:24 pm »
Danny,

Are you using the Neo 3 open back or closed in this wedgie?  I have always wondered how valuable an open baffle is for a tweeter.

Jac

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:41 pm »
Danny,

Are you using the Neo 3 open back or closed in this wedgie?  I have always wondered how valuable an open baffle is for a tweeter.

Jac

It is 100% open baffle. And that tweeter is really something special in an open baffle application. It is also offset by the depth of the wave guide so that it is physically aligned to the voice coils of the LGK drivers. This means that the tweeter is in phase in both directions.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:31 pm »
Danny,
That looks great!  :D

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:39 pm »
I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologize in advance. What kind of SPLs can these handle? It's for a small room but I'm used to my Super V's so I do like to turn it up sometimes.

I have an O.K. boxed sub that I would be using at first for budget reasons but these look like a really nice top end.

Captainhemo

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:53 pm »
From what I recall greg, these little guys will crank  it out, don't think you'll have  an SPL issue.  And, being only 5"  wide, they image  like   crazy  !!

jay

openbaffled

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2018, 09:40 pm »
It is 100% open baffle. And that tweeter is really something special in an open baffle application. It is also offset by the depth of the wave guide so that it is physically aligned to the voice coils of the LGK drivers. This means that the tweeter is in phase in both directions.

Thanks.  That's great news.  I'm really starting to like this idea.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2018, 10:50 pm »
I never had any problem hitting over 100 dB in my 11x13 room at home.