Open baffle subs AND sealed? together?

guf

Open baffle subs AND sealed? together?
« on: 24 Jun 2017, 04:40 pm »
I have a Rythmik Gr sub. I'm thinking of adding another sub. But I'm also thinking of adding or replacing it with an open baffle H/W frame set up. I'm really into near field listening right now with my whole rig and seat in the front 38% of my room. If that matters. Any one have experience or thoughts on this?

mikeeastman

Re: Open baffle subs AND sealed? together?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2017, 05:24 pm »
My speakers have 2 OB  subs each and I use a sealed GR sub to handle 80 hz down, sound very nice to me.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2017, 05:49 pm »
Depends on what your main speakers are. I have two main systems in my house. One is open baffle (NX-Otica or LGK Wedgie) while the other is transmission line (N3TL).

In my OB system I have dual 12" H-frame OB subs as the base modules of the main speakers. The OB subs handle 20Hz to 100Hz. NX-Otica monitors handle 100Hz and up (with the Wedgies the OB subs handle up to 200Hz). I also have a sealed sub in this system but it only handles the LFE (.1/SW out) channel for movies.

The N3TL system has a 12" sealed sub. In this system I cross the N3s over at 60Hz so the sub handles both the LFE channel and the main speaker frequencies below 60Hz.

I have experimented with the different possible combinations and came to the conclusion that for music I preferred the sound when I had like matched with like (i.e. OB subs with OB speakers and sealed subs with boxed speakers).

If I had an OB system that was set up for music only I would not have a sealed sub in it. However, if the system is used for both music and movies (like mine is) a sealed (or ported) sub is essential for the LFW/.1/SW out channel. OB subs are not designed to handle the infrsonics in the special effects channel. The drivers will bottom out on big effects.

Mike

guf

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2017, 05:54 pm »
Thanks! I'm thinking for my Omega full range speakers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2017, 06:32 pm »
With those speakers, adding a second sub like the one you have would allow you to configure them for stereo bass with the least expense.

To clarify my earlier post a little, just because I prefer like with like doesn't mean others feel the same. There are plenty who prefer OB bass regardless of what it is paired with.  And, when it comes down to comparing just the bass, I prefer OB bass hands down. However, when considering the entire spectrum, I find the overall experience to be more pleasing when the characteristics of the bass, midrange, and treble are the same. 

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2017, 07:22 pm »
I've freaked out a few people by bringing in a pair of our LGK's (wide band drivers) and setting them up in our system using our open baffle servo subs to handle the bottom end.

Combining the ported LGK's with the open baffle subs is not a problem. I've had them blend seamlessly.

Given the option I'll always go for the open baffle subs. They just load the room more evenly and really minimize the room boom that you can get from other subs.

You can further take things to another level by adding the sealed sub to the rear of the room and run it out of phase from the open baffle subs up front and really even out the room loading.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2017, 04:14 pm »
Only reason I'd consider  staying with the sealed  subs  for HT use. If this is strictly for music, I'd  go OB as well.
My main setup   has been up at  my buddy's place for a bit so I've been playing  with a pair of modded Encores  sitting on top of a  pair od dual H frames.  No issues , as Danny states above,  it's a seamless  blend  and  the subs  transform the Encores  into  a total full range system with athority
Just remember, the further away from the front wall you can get  with the  OB subs, the better

jay

celebrat

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2017, 01:31 am »
You can further take things to another level by adding the sealed sub to the rear of the room and run it out of phase from the open baffle subs up front and really even out the room loading.

Danny could you please go in to more detail regarding this? Let's say we are already using 2 OB subs with main speakers. By "the rear of the room" do you mean behind the listening chair? How would you hook up this sealed sub if you have used your remaining outputs for the first 2 OB subs after the main speakers. Thanks

danvprod

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2017, 11:25 am »
I use my Super Vs with a Clayton Shaw Black Hole Generator. The Shaw sub sits in the back of the room and plays a 180 degree out-of-phase version of what it hears on its included microphone. This helps "remove the back wall" per-Clayton. It definitely helps with the width axial mode and also with modal ringing < 50 Hz, indicated by a reduction of the EDT by several hundred ms.

I believe that running a sub out of phase in the back would have a similar effect, except the Shaw really only plays the peaks it hears at a high SPL, vs. the entire signal.

I think a sealed sub at the back wall would work well with the open baffle GR subs.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2017, 11:28 am »
I use my Super Vs with a Clayton Shaw Black Hole Generator. The Shaw sub sits in the back of the room and plays a 180 degree out-of-phase version of what it hears on its included microphone. This help "remove the back wall" per-Clayton. It definitely helps with the width axial mode and also with modal ringing < 50 Hz, indicated by a reduction of the EDT by several hundred ms.

I believe that running a sub out of phase in the back would have a similar effect, except the Shaw really only plays the peaks it hears at a high SPL, vs. the entire signal.

I think a sealed sub at the back wall would work well with the open baffle GR subs.

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

Best,
Anand.

celebrat

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2017, 11:57 am »
My back wall is mostly open to another room. The wall boundary is about 16' across but over half is open to the rest of the house. Any opinions as to the impact of an out of phase sub there?

danvprod

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2017, 04:04 pm »
If you have a corner, @celebrat (still a back corner), the spatial would also work well there.