DENAFRIPS DACs

lolligagger

Re: DENAFRIPS DACs
« Reply #40 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:37 am »
More good stuff about the Terminator that I forgot to mention:

The quesition has been posited as to what would happen if one of the many many capacitors should blow. How would you ever be able to find it and substitute it.

I asked both Claudio and Alvin about this and I was told, by both of them, that the Terminator is of modular design. If any issue whatsoever should occur on any of its circuit boards , Denafiips will send a brand new board that can be easily substituted for the offending board because the boards are not soldered, they are attached with pins.
They also said that if there should be upgrades in the future this will allow for easy upgrading... just slip out the old board and plug in the new one.

Wait! There's more!! :o

In his not yet completed review of the Terminator, Srajan writes that the Terminator's sound quality, if it should ever actually be able to be improved, can be also improved my downloading software which will be issued by Denafrips. 

Cool, no? 8)

On the Facebook thread, a recent purchaser has just reported that the Terminator has ''terminated'' (pun intended) his beloved Metrum Pavane. Actually he did not use that word he used the phrase, ''cancelled out.''  (Another one bites the dust).

His review is quite detailed and heaps a ton of praise on the Terminator. If any of you can read Italian, it might be a fun and informative read.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #41 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:48 am »
Perhaps that is what happened... didn't turn on notifications. How do I do that?

Profile -> Notifications

lolligagger

« Reply #42 on: 19 Sep 2017, 06:02 pm »
Profile -> Notifications

Thanks, I went into Profile > Notifications  and set ''turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.''
But under ''Current Board Notifications'' it says, ''To request notifications from a specific board, click the "notify" button in the index of that board.''
So do I need to do that on every thread that I am participating in?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:01 pm »
Is the Terminator the top of the line? It looks like the board is ready for even more ladder DAC's....

lolligagger

« Reply #44 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:30 pm »
Is the Terminator the top of the line? It looks like the board is ready for even more ladder DAC's....

At this point, yes, it is the top of the line.
As I indicated above, if there should be any updates in the future they will be easy to implement without even having to send the DAC back to the distributor or manufacturer.

lolligagger

« Reply #45 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:33 pm »
I just checked my email after seeing that Paul79 had posted a question. And this time, I am happy to report, I did indeed receive a notification from AudioCircle  :D

lolligagger

« Reply #46 on: 20 Sep 2017, 11:26 pm »
Just in case anyone is still looking at this thread, here is the link to Srajan Ebaen's review of the Denafrips Terminator.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/denafrips/3.html

alvin1118

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2017, 04:30 pm »
Finally the hard-work pays off. Thank you so much for the supports, much appreciated! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2017, 09:16 am by alvin1118 »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2017, 06:24 pm »
Budget priced?  :roll:

Yeah, right; sobriety is so fucking underrated. We're definitely living in the era of unrestrained stupidity.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #49 on: 23 Sep 2017, 08:46 pm »
Lol!

John,

When one considers the price level that typifies Srajan's man cave and the DACs he mentioned, the sub-$5k Terminator is budget priced, don't you think?

Michael

Wind Chaser

« Reply #50 on: 24 Sep 2017, 12:59 am »
I don't know what gear he has, what it's worth, or what his measure of "budget" is, but then again everything is relative. So maybe in his "world" $4300 USD is chump change for a DAC, but I dare say for most of his readership, that's not the case.

lolligagger

« Reply #51 on: 24 Sep 2017, 01:19 am »
I don't know what gear he has, what it's worth, or what his measure of "budget" is, but then again everything is relative. So maybe in his "world" $4300 USD is chump change for a DAC, but I dare say for most of his readership, that's not the case.

When you consider what league this DAC plays in (MSB Platinum IV,  dCS Debussy, Aqua Formula and other costly DACs) and usually comes out the winner, $4300 can seem a small price to pay, to get that kind of performance.
But I have to agree with Wind Chaser that in the absolute sense $4,300 is not really budget.
But it is somewhat  of a bargain.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 24 Sep 2017, 09:08 am »
Interesting that nobody took note of 'budget-priced' being captured in quotes on the award caption. 'Budget-priced' is indeed relative but as lolligagger rightly points out, in this context a device competes against competition in excess of 5 times its price. It's the old Mercedes at Honda pricing thing. In that context, it is budget priced at least to my mind; and to indicate the relative nature of that, the word has still been put inside quotes. Somehow I trusted in the intelligence of our readership to figure that one out; and I bet that most of it actually did  :lol:

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 24 Sep 2017, 09:23 am »
And I might add that, as with anything, taking something out of context misses the full picture. If you look at just the award and then look up the €3'600 sell price, the message is one thing. If you read the whole review, then get to the award at its end as intended, then get to the additional commentary and the final comment which, together, add more than 10 very specific competing brands and models to the anecdotal evidence... then the message is quite another.  Of course that requires actually reading the entire thing before commenting. Just vis-à-vis unrestrained stupidity and all that.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #54 on: 24 Sep 2017, 02:24 pm »
Interesting that nobody took note of 'budget-priced' being captured in quotes on the award caption. 'Budget-priced' is indeed relative but as lolligagger rightly points out, in this context a device competes against competition in excess of 5 times its price. It's the old Mercedes at Honda pricing thing. In that context, it is budget priced at least to my mind; and to indicate the relative nature of that, the word has still been put inside quotes. Somehow I trusted in the intelligence of our readership to figure that one out; and I bet that most of it actually did  :lol:

Srajan,

Thank you for joining this thread and for offering more clarity to your review.

In addition to clarifying your meaning, you also managed to accomplish two other objectives. The first is to educate the reader on the use of single quotes. Single quotes can be used to denote irony, scorn, or jargon. Which meaning did you intend? Your second accomplishment is to take Wind Chaser's comments about your judgement of what budget-priced means and respond by questioning his intelligence. Even though you used eloquent language to do so, you are still insinuating that he lacks the intelligence of most of your audience. This is a personal attack, sir. :nono:

Please note that I'm suggesting Wind Chaser was not attacking you personally. Rather, he was disagreeing with your opinion of what constitutes budget-priced. Also note that I deliberately avoided the use of single quotes lest I inadvertently confuse readers.

Oh, and lest you misconstrue my intentions. I agree with your assertion that the Terminator DAC is an excellent value. I had already informed Alvin of my interest in auditioning the Terminator before you began reviewing your friend's DAC.

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2017, 03:30 pm by mresseguie »

brother love

« Reply #55 on: 24 Sep 2017, 03:05 pm »
I respectfully disagree. While I do see see the points that Wind Chaser's posts were making, I think that they were done so far too derisively.  Srajan responded less aggressively than the gauntlet thrown his way.

The review award clearly states " a budget-priced true reference DAC ".

Wind Chaser

« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2017, 06:59 pm »
The word "budget" can be used as a noun, a verb, or as an adjective.

In the context of Mr. Ebean's comment, it is being used as an adjective meaning ... inexpensive, as in a "budget hotel" or a "budget holiday" ... in other words ... cheap, inexpensive, economy, affordable, low-cost, low-price, etc. This is not an appropriate word to describe a DAC that sells for over $4000 no matter how you slice it, regardless of whoever would arbitrarily tell everyone else what a so-called "true reference" is.

The word "value" means something else. It denotes ... relative worth or merit ... making it a far better, more accurate description of a $4300 DAC that competes with even more expensive DACs.

Different words have different meanings, it's up to the journalist to choose the right word to best describe his intended thought.

lolligagger

« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2017, 09:28 pm »
The word "budget" can be used as a noun, a verb, or as an adjective.

In the context of Mr. Ebean's comment, it is being used as an adjective meaning ... inexpensive, as in a "budget hotel" or a "budget holiday" ... in other words ... cheap, inexpensive, economy, affordable, low-cost, low-price, etc. This is not an appropriate word to describe a DAC that sells for over $4000 no matter how you slice it, regardless of whoever would arbitrarily tell everyone else what a so-called "true reference" is.

The word "value" means something else. It denotes ... relative worth or merit ... making it a far better, more accurate description of a $4300 DAC that competes with even more expensive DACs.

Different words have different meanings, it's up to the journalist to choose the right word to best describe his intended thought.

Wind Chaser,

After reading this, I am inclined to think that  brother love may be right.

Why is this so important to you? Srajan responded to you and explained what his intention was. You expressed yourself. He expressed himself.
So now, let us remember that the purpose of this thread is to focus on stereo components...Denafrips DACs, of which the Terminator is one...  and not to focus on semantics.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2017, 06:18 am by lolligagger »

OzarkTom

« Reply #58 on: 25 Sep 2017, 02:30 am »
I saw a review on Head-Fi saying the price was $3800. Now $4300?

orientalexpress

« Reply #59 on: 25 Sep 2017, 02:40 am »
Yep,seem like price is all over the place.For something this expensive , I gotta hear it first In my system before I buy one.i hope they're have a 30 day in home trial. :thumb: