Considering Used Super V but NX-Otica is also on the table considering...

danvprod

I'd rather not, since the screws are just going into the raw MDF and I don't want to keep pulling them in and our. I was thinking of just masking the magnet and painting the front-facing silver metal so that it doesn't show through the grill as much. It's not a showstopper, just something I was thinking about.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
In addition to taping, you can stuff some newspaper in the opening. That will keep any over-spray off the NoRez as well.

PDR

• May the best man win
Thats exactly what I did, masked around the magnet then used newspaper to cover all the rest.

I used Tremclad rattle can, gave it 3 light coats.....after I stripped the sticker.

Its darker than shown here....looked very good when it was completed.

Perry

Captainhemo

I used Tremclad rattle can, gave it 3 light coats.....after I stripped the sticker.

Perry

Tremclad is  great stuff, it will stick to anything and you can actually get a pretty decent finish with it

jay

danvprod

These Super Vs really are amazing. For sure the best speakers I've had in my room and I'd say performs as well as speakers I've auditioned that cost many times more than these. And this is with the woofers still not broken in. Pretty amazing what Danny has been able to do here. I'm quite impressed. These sound every bit as good as the LX521 (which I had considered as an alternative to the Super Vs) and have the distinct positive of being able to use any low-powered amp you'd like for the mains and no DSP, which is a + in my book.

I'm seriously in awe here of just how good these sound.

bdp24

Instead of painting, you can just attach some black felt with double-sided tape, cutting a little hole in the middle for the vent. With the grille in place the felt will be invisible.

Shakeydeal

These Super Vs really are amazing. For sure the best speakers I've had in my room and I'd say performs as well as speakers I've auditioned that cost many times more than these. And this is with the woofers still not broken in. Pretty amazing what Danny has been able to do here. I'm quite impressed. These sound every bit as good as the LX521 (which I had considered as an alternative to the Super Vs) and have the distinct positive of being able to use any low-powered amp you'd like for the mains and no DSP, which is a + in my book.

I'm seriously in awe here of just how good these sound.

I am in total agreement. I have owned speakers up to around the 15K mark including Wilsons, Piegas, Green Mountain Audio, Von Schweikert....the list goes on and on. None have been any better and many fall far short of the mark. These are very impressive.

Shakey

danvprod

Worked on building my new speaker cables last night. Some Teflon Mil-Spec Wire, Silver Plated PTFE 5 conductor 16 AWG per conductor. Twisted together they should be able 9 AWG. Everything is wrapped in tech flex and terminated with BFA connectors.

danvprod

Adding in some power line filtering and upgraded duplex.

Audio Prism Power Foundation III:

Hubbell HBL5262GY 15A 125V Specification Grade Duplex Receptacle:

Upgraded the power cords on the plate amps and my tube amp to MagicPower:
http://signalcable.com/magicpower.html

danvprod

New rack installed today. Salamander Synergy S30. Much better than the cabinet I was using previously.

Still need to get the bass traps and diffusors. Later this year. I went back to some more flexible standard AC power cables vs. the signal magic power cables, which were hard to route from the A370s.

Shakeydeal

Looks good Dan. Here are some recent pics of my system with the new amp.

danvprod

I picked up those 4 GIK Soffit bass traps. Right now I have two on the left stacked, one on the right, and one behind my listening chair. I can quite stack two high on the right, so I may have to order a custom height from GIK. Do you think this is the right way to place these?

The other option is to hang the one on the right so that it is in the middle of the wall. Third option I had was to put the forth one behind my head at the intersection of the three walls above the door. Room model below is still accurate:

danvprod

Bass traps work amazingly well. Adding the second partial-length trap and the other full length behind my listening chair so help even more. Going to add the P.I. diffusors next in my window and look at some first-reflection point absorption.

danvprod

Finally making some measurements of these:

Subs are set at 180 degrees phase, 80 Hz XO frequency (might be too low). High damping, 14 Hz cutoff, no EQ. Subs might be set too low in cutoff frequency.

This is with the four GIK bass traps in place.

Danny Richie

That's a pretty typical in room response measurement. Not too bad.

If you are going to use the 14Hz extension filter then also try the low damping setting with it.

danvprod

These are measurements about 18" from the bow tie, between the P-Audio driver and the sub array. Mainly for doing level matching between channels, since I seem to notice on some tracks the center image being pulled towards the right speaker (could be my room). They match well. A couple of learnings.

1) I must really like bass. I love that the Super Vs accommodate what sounds good to me. I don't think I could ever go back to a speaker that doesn't let me adjust the level of frequencies < 100 Hz independently again.
2) I have no idea what the 10 dB dip at 1.8 kHz is. Could it be a reflection from my desk on the right, or some sort of cancellation from the front wall?
3) These are really the first speakers that have sounded excellent in my room -- I know that I have added the bass traps, which also help, but I think something has to do with the extra LF energy, the slight depression between 1-3 kHz and the extension down into the 20s.
4) Maybe my subs a bit too loud right now ;)

Danny Richie

You're going to have to back off to the listening position to really know what's going on with your room response.

Keep doing one speaker at a time and try the subs individually too.

Then a clear picture of what's going on in your room will develop. 

danvprod

Added some QRDs on the front wall.

danvprod

This is really cool. The imaging issues I had are completely resolved by adding these diffusors. Many tracks, I didn't have a stable, center image, it would be pulled to the right. Vocals would be just enough off to the right to bother me. Now I'm getting a solid center image. It's a subtle, but definitely perceptible improvement to the soundstage.

danvprod

I put a spatial audio black hole on my back wall to deal with my axial mode at ~ 41 Hz. It works quite well and complements the GIK soffit bass traps well. It's good for about 3 dB. It also helps with the modal ringing, too, as can be seen by the EDT plot.

I may add another one! And I also plan on still adding the 2 soffit bass traps, and some first-reflection absorbers in a minute...