Desktop/near field

Tomy2Tone

Desktop/near field
« on: 4 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm »
Wondering if anybody uses any of the AV-1 or similar type speakers for desktop use or at least for near field. I haven't heard any of the gr research upgraded crossover versions of the AV123 type speakers so just curious how they do in this type of setup. Or are they best served for home theater and traditional 2 channel stereo.

Danny Richie

Re: Desktop/near field
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2016, 11:36 pm »
Wondering if anybody uses any of the AV-1 or similar type speakers for desktop use or at least for near field. I haven't heard any of the gr research upgraded crossover versions of the AV123 type speakers so just curious how they do in this type of setup. Or are they best served for home theater and traditional 2 channel stereo.

Any of our mini-monitors will work great in that application if you have enough desk space for them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2016, 11:41 pm »
If you dont have enough desk space for the larger monitor the LGK 1.0 is a fantastic desktop monitor. It is also very good near field.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2016, 12:00 am »
I'm running the LGK's on my desk too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2016, 12:12 am »
Everybody who listened to the LGK's i had at LASF in 2015 was floored by their sound. I lost count of how many jaws dropped.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2016, 12:15 am »
I forgot about those LGK's.

I'm currently using some Nappa Acoustic monitors with 4" drivers and they seem to be the best so far from what I've tried. Had Elac b5, Ascend Acoustics cbm 170, pioneer bs22, and some Cambridge speakers.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2016, 12:17 am »
Everybody who listened to the LGK's i had at LASF in 2015 was floored by their sound. I lost count of how many jaws dropped.

Do you by chance have any on hand for sale?  I'm also tempted to try one of Danny's kits and this would be a good one to start with.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:02 am »
This? with or without cabinets!

http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:32 am »
Do you by chance have any on hand for sale?  I'm also tempted to try one of Danny's kits and this would be a good one to start with.

I don't have any built out at the moment but have a kit here I could build out in short order. 

Mike

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:58 pm »
A carpenter friend of mine is helping me build a pair of the LGK's. The internal braces call for two 2.75" holes cut out but he only has a 2.5" hole saw blade. Will this work or does it throw everything off? Thanks for any help!

jparkhur

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:18 pm »
That will be fine..  Just for air flow.   Not going to hufff on you..

JP

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2016, 03:27 pm »
That will be fine..  Just for air flow.   Not going to hufff on you..

JP

Thank you!