Flat 5 as a center for a/v speakera

Bigharv88

Flat 5 as a center for a/v speakera
« on: 2 Oct 2016, 11:40 pm »
I'm interested in a 5.1 setup consisting of the A/V 3 and 1rs combo but I would prefer a slim low profile center channel like the flat 5 over a 8" tall A/V 3S. Would the flat 5  pair well with an A/V setup or should I be thinking about going with the larger center option? Is there any plans for a flat 3 for an even smaller application?  Also, what is the ETA for the center channel LGK design?

Danny Richie

Re: Flat 5 as a center for a/v speakera
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2016, 02:35 pm »
I'm still using a single LGK for my center channel and have been really pleased with it.

I do intend to get on the flat 5 as soon as possible though and get that design finished up. I have just been overwhelmed with completing other projects and constantly working at the new facility and the up coming move. I just need more time.

Bigharv88

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2016, 10:34 pm »
Thanks Danny, I understand and appreciate the feedback.  Does your single LGK center utilize the standard 1.0 kit enclosure design stood upright? Can the box be modified to a dual port design to have symmetry left and right of the driver for a horizontal application?  I'm worried the single driver wouldn't be able to level match the A/V3's without filtering low frequencies.  I may go that route and upgrade to the flat 5 at the time it becomes available.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:23 am »
Thanks Danny, I understand and appreciate the feedback.  Does your single LGK center utilize the standard 1.0 kit enclosure design stood upright?

Yes.

Can the box be modified to a dual port design to have symmetry left and right of the driver for a horizontal application?

No, the port plays no barring on the the speaker in this regard.

I'm worried the single driver wouldn't be able to level match the A/V3's without filtering low frequencies.  I may go that route and upgrade to the flat 5 at the time it becomes available.

Matching the level is actually real easy. It is matching the maximum SPL levels that are a limitation.

sch

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm »
Yes.

Can the box be modified to a dual port design to have symmetry left and right of the driver for a horizontal application?

No, the port plays no barring on the the speaker in this regard.

I was about to ask the same question. Forgive my poor english comprehension, so this means that we could use an horizontally placed  LGK with the driver placed in the center (for symmetry) and the port at the same usual position?

Thanks
Santiago

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:11 pm »
I was about to ask the same question. Forgive my poor english comprehension, so this means that we could use an horizontally placed  LGK with the driver placed in the center (for symmetry) and the port at the same usual position?

Thanks
Santiago

Yes, you could.

sch

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:25 pm »
Yes, you could.

Great! :D This means that there is another special project in the near future.
Santiago