GR stuff WE (Group) have built-The Picture Edition

Danny Richie

Re: GR stuff WE (Group) have built-The Picture Edition
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2013, 12:57 am »
I love these threads...

neekomax

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2013, 02:07 am »
django, I like your stuff, especially the OB sub. Are you happy with its performance, as compared with the sealed version? Both have the same driver and electronics?

NeilT

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2013, 03:43 am »

Ok I'm in, Cherry OB7"s

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2013, 04:05 am »
Front vented  N3's

X LS Encores with large flange tweeter in purple  to match my neice's room

-jay
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2013, 04:12 am by Captainhemo »

Ron

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2013, 03:06 pm »
  Attached are some of the GR Research speakers I have built:

N2X

N3S

N3 TL's

AV-3 TL's

AV-1's

sl_1800

« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2013, 04:22 pm »

NeilT, your cherry OB7's are beautiful!!!  What kind of finish did you use to get that high gloss?

lacro

« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:29 pm »
Ok I'm in, Cherry OB7"s

Neil

Neil,
 Is that solid Cheery? WOW! Cheery is one of the most beautiful woods especially when left natural. Not sure if you tinted it slightly, but it's really spectacular! The craftsmanship, wood choice, and finish are all first class!!

Larry

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #27 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:45 pm »
Thanks!  The sub is one of the AV123 sub drivers that I got from Danny for cheap and one of Danny's amps.The sealed version of the sub had a lot more output for movies but the ob version is more refined for music and suits me very well.   I am not much for describing sound but I would call it very musical and it does not draw attention to itself.   FYI,I listen to jazz, classical and pop.

django, I like your stuff, especially the OB sub. Are you happy with its performance, as compared with the sealed version? Both have the same driver and electronics?

NeilT

« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:52 am »
Thanks Guys, I used General Finishes, Arm-R-Seal, sanding between each of the several coats, 5 or 6. I then wet sanded 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit, and polished with 3m's swirl remover and a coat of wax. Very labor intensive, but very happy with the end results.

Larry,  all solid Cherry except for sides and back, I used 1/4 mdf core ply. No tint or stain, Cherry just takes on a richer, darker hue as it ages. It is my favorite wood to work with right now, just finished up a bathroom vanity that actually came out nicer than the speakers.
Thanks again for the compliments

Neil

HT cOz

« Reply #29 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:48 am »
Here are mine 

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #30 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:04 am »
I love these threads....

+1

Nice work you guys!  :rock:

Now let's see some more!!!  :hyper:

Ruben

lacro

« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2013, 01:22 pm »
Thanks Guys, I used General Finishes, Arm-R-Seal, sanding between each of the several coats, 5 or 6. I then wet sanded 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit, and polished with 3m's swirl remover and a coat of wax. Very labor intensive, but very happy with the end results.

Larry,  all solid Cherry except for sides and back, I used 1/4 mdf core ply. No tint or stain, Cherry just takes on a richer, darker hue as it ages. It is my favorite wood to work with right now, just finished up a bathroom vanity that actually came out nicer than the speakers.
Thanks again for the compliments

Neil

Neil,
 Did you spray or brush the Arm-R-Seal? Also, what wax do you use?

Larry-

sl_1800

« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm »
I mostly use General Finishes on projects but I have not tried the Arm R Seal very much, looks like I need to experiment with it more.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:18 pm »
Like a few others, it's sort of cheating when you buy the cabinets, but the veneering had proved to be too much for me... and AV123 cabinets were such deals!

NeilT

« Reply #34 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:37 pm »
Neil,
 Did you spray or brush the Arm-R-Seal? Also, what wax do you use?

Larry-

I used Foam brushes, any car wax should work ok. I had some Meguires Carnauba laying around.

Neil

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:43 pm »
Really like the veneer.  I have never heard the N3 in tower version.  I am going to have to make some cabs one day just to hear them...

Here are mine 

HT cOz

« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2013, 06:43 pm »
Thanks. It is Lacewood. I got it from the Formwood sale section which has great deals from time to time. The towers have really strong bass, its surprising.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2013, 09:35 pm »
the line arrays look great

fishboat

« Reply #38 on: 16 Mar 2013, 09:51 pm »
I mostly use General Finishes on projects but I have not tried the Arm R Seal very much, looks like I need to experiment with it more.

The General Finishes Seal-A-Seal and Arm-R-Seal is good stuff.  Easy to apply with a lint-free disposable shop towel pad.  One coat SAC & up to 3-4 coats ARS easy-peasy and it looks great.

Larry..If you use wax on top be careful with auto products as they often contain silicone oil (polysiloxanes). Once you get silicones on a finish it's r-e-a-l-l-y hard to repair or refinish the piece as silicones will prevent new finish coats wetting the surface.  Removing silicones is also very difficult.  If you want to wax use something like Johnsons Paste Wax.  It's carnuba and polyethylene waxes, no silicones.  If you need to remove it wipe a piece down with mineral spirits, prepare the surface & recoat.

FWIW.."Lemon Pledge" smells nice, but it's made with siloxanes..bad news on good wood or wood finishes. 

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm »
I just bought a pair of v2's with a down payment, sorry im struggling. I cannot wait. Thank you Danny for working with me. Sorry Danny has the pics since I do not have them at home yet. I bought really because Danny is in Texas 4 hours from me. I supported llano and white audio labs for years, now I am supporting GR research. Plus im dying to try ob speakers. I hope they live up to expectations.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013, 01:39 pm by underdawg »