« Reply #460 on: 5 Jan 2015, 12:48 am »

Hypex Ncore monoblocks in Ghent case...

Very Nice and clean!  Can you post more pictures?  :D

occamsrazor

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #461 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:08 am »
Very Nice and clean!  Can you post more pictures?  :D

Here you go...

Only thing missing is the LED wire which I did after these were taken.

In restrospect the audio input cable could have been cut a bit shorter, but I wanted to leave a bit extra in case I messed it up first time. That thick speaker wire (3.0mm2 silver-plated copper) was really a pain to twist up and the brass terminals aren't very user friendly when you have thick wire. Also be careful there are two capacitors just above them you have to be a bit careful not to bend.
I tried as a priority to follow Hypex guidelines in having everything tightly twisted and avoiding loops.
In the future I may try to add insulating covers to the spade power connectors for safety.

Shaman

« Reply #462 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:55 am »
My dual-mono (temp) build.

These were bought from the first or second Hypex batch ever, but had been living in a "temporary enclosure" ever since (namely screwed on a top panel scavenged off an old DVD player) .
Finally decided to move them to their proper enclosures, which were custom-sized and bought via a group buy I organized over at diyaudio ~3 years ago.

Internal layout is temporary, as there'll be one more NC400 module going in there as well (i.e. two NC400s per enclosure, sharing an SMPS600).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #463 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:24 pm »
Saw this over on DIYaudio a few weeks back, very nice, thanks for sharing  :thumb:

And those ATC's I'm sure are fun to listen to :green:

Best,
Anand.

Shaman

« Reply #464 on: 28 Jan 2015, 08:00 pm »
Thanks!

Yes, the ATCs are great. A no-nonsense company with Pro-audio pedigree.
And you can't really go wrong with their iconic mid range driver, which offers state of the art performance (the SCM40 is equipped with the non-S version). :wink:

ZAKski288

« Reply #465 on: 19 Mar 2015, 02:11 am »
Started my Ncore build. in custom cases (9"X 15").  Progress of the first case

tane0019

« Reply #466 on: 23 Mar 2015, 09:13 am »

dan1502

« Reply #467 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:07 pm »
Any marks you can see are finger print residue I missed.

jlfo

« Reply #468 on: 30 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm »
Fantastic Dan1502 !!!
Where did you ordered these cases ? Is it available on-line ?
Regards,
Jose

SlushPuppy

« Reply #469 on: 30 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm »
Any marks you can see are finger print residue I missed.

I like that case  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #470 on: 30 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm »
I find elegance in simple lines.  This is truly elegant!  The finish is perfect for the piece, too  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #471 on: 31 Mar 2015, 12:59 am »
Dan1502,

Wow! Fantastic!

Best,
Anand.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #472 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:18 pm »

Uh... Is that a IEC inlet with a T/pi filter? And any reason you didn't twist the output connections all the way to the connectors?

dan1502

« Reply #473 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:49 am »
Fantastic Dan1502 !!!
Where did you ordered these cases ? Is it available on-line ?
Regards,
Jose

Thanks for all the compliments.  I worked with an engineer on the design.  More can be made and there are at lease two pairs going to be made soon but he's ideally wanting to be in a position to make at least five pairs.  They're not cheap though.  £1,300 per pair.

Regarding twisting the output connectors, do you mean the mains or speaker outputs.  The mains cable is shielded.  The speaker cables are twisted very tightly as much as they can be although I suppose I could have soldered them perpendicularly across the spades (which would be easy enough to change).  The filter is a 3A Schaffner.  There are mixed views on using these but a few of us have reported positive results.

dan1502

« Reply #474 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:52 am »
There's also an LED mounted but it's not connected in these pictures.  I've been at a Hifi show with them all last weekend and haven't yet had time to photograph them properly in their finished state.  They have a blue LED shining through a 3mm light pipe with a resistor to dim them so they're not too bright - much softer than my Benckmark DAC2 HGC's LEDs.

dan1502

« Reply #475 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:56 am »
Not the best of pictures but it should give you an idea.  I now have them on pieces of granite and shall be tidying the wiring up when I get a chance.

Julf

« Reply #476 on: 1 Apr 2015, 12:15 pm »
The speaker cables are twisted very tightly as much as they can be although I suppose I could have soldered them perpendicularly across the spades (which would be easy enough to change).

Right - they do form quite a large unbalanced loop.

The filter is a 3A Schaffner.  There are mixed views on using these but a few of us have reported positive results.

Bruno's view is clear - he strongly recommends against them. They provide a connecting path for HF noise between mains and earth.

dan1502

« Reply #477 on: 1 Apr 2015, 01:33 pm »
Not quite so clear.  He gave an opinion on a thread about UCD years ago then another on the NCore thread which is more along the lines of the SMPS already incorporating such filtering.  An ordinary IEC will fit though.

Julf

« Reply #478 on: 1 Apr 2015, 01:58 pm »
Not quite so clear.  He gave an opinion on a thread about UCD years ago then another on the NCore thread which is more along the lines of the SMPS already incorporating such filtering.  An ordinary IEC will fit though.

The point is not that the SMPS already provides filtering but that the shunt capacitors in a T or pi filter actually connect noise from the mains to ground.

I guess ground/earth, especially in the context of fully floating differential circuits, is one of the most misunderstood subjects in DIY audio.

dan1502

« Reply #479 on: 1 Apr 2015, 02:48 pm »
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-286.html#post2937571

The above is the post I refer to.  My setup in balanced.  I would not use them in an unbalanced setup.

I'm not in a position to argue with you though as you are far more knowledgeable than I and having read plenty of your posts on various forums over the years I certainly value your opinions.  On a similar subject I have been meaning to find out more about whether or not to connect the XLR chassis to earth and, if so whether or not to connect the housing tab on the XLR plugs to ground.  As it stands I have connected neither to ground.

I will probably take you comment about the cables on board.  The cables are twisted tighter than I have seen any others twisted.  The cable I used turned out to be unexpectedly good in that regard for quite thick cable.  However I did not think of soldering them in a different orientation at the time.