Newbie Help - Ncore build

zenpmd

Re: Newbie Help - Ncore build
« Reply #40 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:41 pm »
In particular, according to class 2 wikipedia page, it requires insulation for class 2? Can I build in a earth for safety anyway?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:45 pm »
Can I build in a earth for safety anyway?
Sure, it will not hurt anything but very rare it could cause some noise but do it and then you will know.  Just make sure you take off the anodize if there is any.  Then, just do a continuity check (IEC Ground Pin to chassis) to make sure it's working. 

zenpmd

« Reply #42 on: 25 Mar 2014, 09:35 pm »
That just went straight over my head...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm »
That just went straight over my head...
:scratch:   I don't know how to make it anymore clear.  Perhaps someone else can chime in and do a better job. 

Have you ever wired anything? 

I want to be clear though...we want you to assemble this amp and enjoy the wonderful performace that it offers.  Your safety is very important too.  If you are not absolutely sure about something, ask.  With these high voltages it doesn't take much to hurt yourself.  Also, it's just as important to make sure that what you are doing is safe long term.

greenkiwi

« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:46 am »
He was just giving directions/cautions for connecting ground to the case.  Ensure that the location you connect ground to doesn't have any anodization on it, and further, use a multimeter to ensure that all your grounds are connected.  i.e. have effectively 0ohm resistance between them

zenpmd

« Reply #45 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:36 am »
I won't worry about grounding for now. But I am still concerned that class 2 requires insulation,yet siliconray has no insulation

zenpmd

« Reply #46 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:48 am »
jtwrace - No, I've not wired anything before!  8)

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #47 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:46 am »
Re the safety, what I dont understand when looking at the "area within red" on the SMPS schematic, is that how does just putting something in a case with 6mm clearance make it "safe" it all sounds rather dangerous to me!

A case prevents you from touching those areas. The 6 mm clearance prevents the voltage from jumping the gap.

Julf

« Reply #48 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:47 am »
I won't worry about grounding for now. But I am still concerned that class 2 requires insulation,yet siliconray has no insulation

Air is a pretty good insulator.

zenpmd

« Reply #49 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:55 am »
Got you, understood Julf. Thanks

zenpmd

« Reply #50 on: 28 Mar 2014, 07:59 am »
Right, more questions! I wasted loads of time yesterday as my siliconray case didnt come with any screws! Looking into wiring again, I see that the XLR female in the case is a standard array

1 - Ground

2 - Positive

3 Negative.

If the boards have no ground does that mean I do not wire no 1? Just 2 and 3, being the two cables heavily insulated and not the thin wire. Can I avoid soldering by using those little quick disconnects on XLR as well as power? As shown here

On the back of the Neutrick female plug, other than ther 3 input terminals, there is a little silver catch, what is this used for?

With my IEC inlet,  I have the 3 pins. Top left is L, Top right is N. The single bottom pin is unmarked. Do I just leave this unconnected and connect brown to L and Blue to N?

zenpmd

« Reply #51 on: 28 Mar 2014, 04:36 pm »
Does this make sense to anyone?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #52 on: 28 Mar 2014, 07:29 pm »
That's a photo of a AC power inlet connector chassis jack. It has 3 terminals:
AC Hot
AC Neutral
Safety Ground/Protective Earth - This terminal connects to the metal chassis near this connector not to the Main Audio Ground.

An XLR balanced  analog interconnect chassis jack has 3 terminals.
Pins #2 & #3 are for the audio signal.
Pin #1 is the shield not the audio circuit ground. It is connected to the metal chassis near this connector not to the Main Audio Ground.

zenpmd

« Reply #53 on: 15 Apr 2014, 07:16 pm »
Sorry for going quiet on this everyone, I am currently in the process of moving country and will be back soon!

greenkiwi

« Reply #54 on: 22 Apr 2014, 05:20 am »
For the IEC inlet, the single pin on the top, unlabeled is ground.

The L is for Live (AC Hot as @Speedskater mentioned), and N is for AC Neutral.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/iec.php

Toaster

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jul 2014, 05:21 pm »
Rather than start another thread: Finally getting my NC400s built. I'm quite an experienced builder but haven't wired up chassis XLRs before. No problem with the basic hook up of pins 1-3 and shield > pin 1 has also been connected to the chassis. On the Neutrik chassis sockets there is a tab next to pin 1 which is part of the socket's metalwork. Am I right to assume that this also connects to pin 1? TIA!

Julf

« Reply #56 on: 23 Jul 2014, 07:10 pm »
If it already connects to the chassis metalwork, there is no need to connect it at all. If you have a plastic (or other non-conductive) enclosure it should be connected to chassis ground.

Toaster

« Reply #57 on: 23 Jul 2014, 07:33 pm »
Cheers Julf! Should get at least one pair going tonight.

Julf

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jul 2014, 08:59 am »
Should get at least one pair going tonight.

How did it go?

Toaster

« Reply #59 on: 26 Jul 2014, 02:37 am »
Thanks for asking, unfortunately the answer to your question is 'badly'! Internal speaker wiring to hand was too stiff to twist and just generally infuriating to dress for such a short run. All six monos now rewired with something a good deal more flexible. Time allowing they should be running tomorrow. Probably...