WOW1s with a ribbon tweeter?

btimm

WOW1s with a ribbon tweeter?
« on: 25 Aug 2014, 11:20 pm »
Simply put, I imagine a pair of WOW1s being built with a ribbon tweeter, either LCY or RAAL, with a rear-firing port. Affording me a small speaker with the sound of a ribbon tweeter that I truly enjoy!  Can my goal and/or imagination become reality?   

Austin08

Re: WOW1s with a ribbon tweeter?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2014, 11:33 pm »
Song suround with ribbon is in the same price range.

Meicheng

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2014, 11:56 pm »
Not to detract from Jim's stellar products, there is also the Ascend Sierra2 monitor for about $1500/pair that comes with the RAAL tweeter. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2014, 02:45 am »
Not to detract from Jim's stellar products, there is also the Ascend Sierra2 monitor for about $1500/pair that comes with the RAAL tweeter.

Well, it comes with A RAAL tweeter, but not the one in the Salk ribbon series.  The Sierra RAAL costs about 1/3 as much, and has to be crossed considerably higher.   I haven't heard the Sierra 2 (although I have worked extensively with its tweeter and use it in my 3-way Slims Jr tower), so I can't say how well it is implemented. 

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2014, 05:39 am »
Simply put, I imagine a pair of WOW1s being built with a ribbon tweeter, either LCY or RAAL, with a rear-firing port. Affording me a small speaker with the sound of a ribbon tweeter that I truly enjoy!  Can my goal and/or imagination become reality?

I have not heard the fountek ribbon, but heard good reviews from it and for the price, it is a good alternative to raal.
I guess if the dome is replaced by a fountek ribbon that Dennis uses on his monitors then the price might be somewhat close to the wow1.

btimm

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2014, 06:41 am »
I have not heard the fountek ribbon, but heard good reviews from it and for the price, it is a good alternative to raal.
I guess if the dome is replaced by a fountek ribbon that Dennis uses on his monitors then the price might be somewhat close to the wow1.

I would be more than happy with the LCY 110mm that was used in the older SongTower RT.  Working with a speaker budget in the range of $1800/pair.

MikeC78

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2014, 10:26 am »
I have a pair of WOW1's and they sound outstanding!  I use them as my surround speaks with a pair of Veracity ST's as my mains.  I've swapped them out back and forth, and those little suckers come close to hanging with the big boys.  They just don't hit as deep.  Use the WOW1's and cross them with a subwoofer, you'd be in for a real surprise...

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2014, 11:17 am »

Why not a slightly larger speaker with the Seas Excel W15 5" rather than the W12 4"?  Not only is it larger, but it costs less.  Couple that with an LCY and you'd have a nice little monitor.

- Jim

Lizard84

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:54 pm »
I have a pair of WOW1's and they sound outstanding!  I use them as my surround speaks with a pair of Veracity ST's as my mains.  I've swapped them out back and forth, and those little suckers come close to hanging with the big boys.  They just don't hit as deep.  Use the WOW1's and cross them with a subwoofer, you'd be in for a real surprise...

That's what I'll be doing, my three WOW's (one for a center) and a Salk/Rythmic sub are supposed to arrive at my home tomorrow!

srb

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2014, 02:19 pm »
Why not a slightly larger speaker with the Seas Excel W15 5" rather than the W12 4"?  Not only is it larger, but it costs less.  Couple that with an LCY and you'd have a nice little monitor.

We know we can buy the Veracity HT1 with Seas Excel W18 7" + RAAL for $2700 (I assume this speaker could be built in a standard rectangular enclosure if requested?)

So where would the pricing fall for these combinations?

Seas Excel W15 5" + RAAL
Seas Excel W15 5" + LCY

Also what about sensitivity?  The HT1 is rated at 85dB and the WOW at 83dB.  Would the W15 models fall in the middle ~ 84dB?

Steve

rlee8394

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2014, 05:28 pm »
Dennis suggested the Fountek CD3.0 for my custom Song Towers. See here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95642.0

I am very happy with the Fountek unit!

Ron

MikeC78

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2014, 06:54 am »
That's what I'll be doing, my three WOW's (one for a center) and a Salk/Rythmic sub are supposed to arrive at my home tomorrow!

You will be pleasantly surprised how those little suckers perform.  :D

btimm

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2014, 06:53 pm »

- Jim

Following your suggestion and changing to a rear ported enclosure, what adjustments would be necessary in the overall dimensions?

ckunstadt

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2014, 07:32 pm »
We know we can buy the Veracity HT1 with Seas Excel W18 7" + RAAL for $2700 (I assume this speaker could be built in a standard rectangular enclosure if requested?)

So where would the pricing fall for these combinations?

Seas Excel W15 5" + RAAL
Seas Excel W15 5" + LCY

Also what about sensitivity?  The HT1 is rated at 85dB and the WOW at 83dB.  Would the W15 models fall in the middle ~ 84dB?

Steve

I would be interested as well. I have wanted HT1s as rears for quite a while. But I can't see spending $2700 on them. Not that they're not worth it. but super-overkill.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2014, 03:12 pm by ckunstadt »

Lizard84

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:35 am »
Fun day unboxing and setting up the new Salk's, Thanks Jim   :D

Meicheng

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:16 am »
Those are beautiful!  Enjoy.

btimm

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:45 am »
Very nice!  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2014, 11:11 am »
Following your suggestion and changing to a rear ported enclosure, what adjustments would be necessary in the overall dimensions?

Just closed on a home yesterday (down-sizing) and will be moving the rest of the week.  I can model this next week and let you know.

- Jim

btimm

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2014, 11:46 am »
Just closed on a home yesterday (down-sizing) and will be moving the rest of the week.  I can model this next week and let you know.

- Jim

Thanks Jim, your time is much appreciated!  Hope your move goes smoothly...

Bruce