Lampizators with USB-SPDIF converters?

rpf

Lampizators with USB-SPDIF converters?
« on: 3 Sep 2016, 06:27 pm »
Has anyone had a Lampizator with a RCA/BNC/XLR input and compared the USB input with one of the former inputs using a USB-SPDIF converter?

In other words, just how good is the USB input on Lampizator DACs? Almost all other DACs with USB inputs - including very expensive ones - are said to sound better with an external USB converter. (Which has been true in my, admittedly limited, experience.)

Has anyone used a Regen/Recovery/Intona, etc. behind a Lampi?

TIA
Rob
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2016, 07:31 pm by rpf »

rpf

Re: Lampizators with USB-SPDIF converters?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2016, 04:53 pm »
So I don't know what zero responses mean but I ordered an Amber II and have both a Regen and a Singxer SU-1 so we'll see.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2016, 05:05 pm »
Sorry I didn't see your original post. I use a Pro3z in combination with an Atlantic and I prefer it over just the usb input. The usb on the Atlantic is closer to the performance of the Pro3z than the usb input was on the L4 I had but after doing a little A/B I found the sound a little cleaner and more detailed with the Pro3z in line.

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2016, 05:52 pm »
I have a L7 that I use with a Mutec MC3+USB. Made a huge difference in my system.

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2016, 06:09 pm »
Thanks. I'll post my impressions after the unit arrives and has been broken in.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2016, 06:23 pm »
Can you play DSD via the RCA input?

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:43 pm »
Can you play DSD via the RCA input?

Don't believe so but not sure.

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm »
Don't believe so but not sure.

You cant...

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2016, 04:19 pm »
Right, so using a USB->S/PDIF converter is really limiting.

Gopher

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2016, 06:02 pm »
It is, however, many people's primary interest is still PCM rather than DSD.

That said, we may be announcing some clock upgrades for the Amanero which should kill the gap and eliminate the need for a converter soon.  I personally use USB only already...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2016, 06:32 pm »
As far as narrowing the gap, I thought the r2r ladder allowed pcm to be on par with dsd. No?

genjamon

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2016, 06:58 pm »
I think there's two different issues here, Tommy.  1) Is PCM through USB as good as PCM through an external USB/SPDIF converter into the SPDIF input? and 2) can R2R PCM engine emulate many of the strengths of what people like from DSD?

I read Fred's comment as speaking to #1. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2016, 07:31 pm »
Right, I guess I was referring to the "limiting" factor of using the spdif input. Maybe I read wrong but I was under the impression that the r2r ladder equaled or at least narrowed the gap between dsd and pcm therefore nothing is really being limited to what you can enjoy if pcm is just as good now. Or maybe I was interpreting dminches comment wrong that one would be missing out on dsd if you use the spdif and thus inferring that dsd is superior sounding to pcm.

rpf

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2016, 07:40 pm »

That said, we may be announcing some clock upgrades for the Amanero which should kill the gap and eliminate the need for a converter soon.  I personally use USB only already...

That would be great news!

shadowlight

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:08 pm »

I see the upgrade clock option listed for Atlantic.

genjamon

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:09 pm »
Right, I guess I was referring to the "limiting" factor of using the spdif input. Maybe I read wrong but I was under the impression that the r2r ladder equaled or at least narrowed the gap between dsd and pcm therefore nothing is really being limited to what you can enjoy if pcm is just as good now. Or maybe I was interpreting dminches comment wrong that one would be missing out on dsd if you use the spdif and thus inferring that dsd is superior sounding to pcm.

Yeah, I'm not sure the jury isn't still out on DSD.  Certainly there are those who think PCM done really well is just as good as DSD - though still different, and a matter of taste.  I know when I've compared native DSD files to the same songs in hi rez PCM on my Big7 in the past, I did prefer the DSD.  But I haven't done careful comparisons since I've gotten the R2R PCM board and since I've gotten the microRendu and a number of noise reduction strategies in the digital feed.  It very well could be that with better quality power on the digital supply, that PCM would be much more competitive with DSD than before.  I only have two DSD albums, so DSD hasn't been as important to me as working on other issues of getting the digital feed right no matter what the format. 

dminches

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:25 pm »

To clarify I wasn't really making a comment about DSD quality vs PCM quality but more to the point that you can't play DSD files if you use S/PDIF.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:48 pm »
To clarify I wasn't really making a comment about DSD quality vs PCM quality but more to the point that you can't play DSD files if you use S/PDIF.

Gotcha. I guess this is where I'm still behind the times with dsd. Any time I've looked in the past at various sites if there was anything that was very limited it was the amount of albums available in native dsd. But I'm assuming if you have a multitude of native dsd files you won't be considering one of these converters in the first place for a Lampi.

shadowlight

« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:12 pm »
But I'm assuming if you have a multitude of native dsd files you won't be considering one of these converters in the first place for a Lampi.

No need for native dsd files.  Depending on your playback software (I use HQPlayer) you can upconvert everything to DSD or hi-rez PCM even redbook.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2016, 08:36 pm »
The Singxer F-1 XMOS USB Digital Interface is really good and I was very impressed with it on my R2R ladder dac compared to another well regarded converter I own. I have not heard USB sound better than SPDIF but have also not had any high end dacs that I was able to play with to try.