Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!
« Reply #180 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:17 am »
Nice....a snowflake design.... 8)

mjosef

« Reply #181 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:48 am »
...as far as I know no speaker manufactures use this technology in their designs...

Brian of VMPS has also indicated he will incorporate this tweak in all his speaker models (see first page).

Unlike many here..I haven't placed an order yet, however I am eagerly awaiting my enhancers.  :lol:

Jon L

« Reply #182 on: 27 Nov 2010, 07:13 am »
Brian of VMPS has also indicated he will incorporate this tweak in all his speaker models (see first page).

He also said, "in my speakers, the GE devices worked best as a pair, both connected in parallel to the neg. terminal of the tweeter, after the crossover.  Adding extra ones elsewhere, including midrange, bass, and subbass terminals, or on my amplifier, clouded up the sound"

I mention it b/c when I just inserted 8 GE's into my system (active biamped so on speaker high/low and high/low amps), I pretty much lost my treble, eh "clouded up," which is surprising since people spoke of brightness initially  :scratch:

Time for some breaking in (what?) and possibly start taking out some GE's one by one...

On the positive side, I gained a couple notch more midrange 3-D body and texture.

werd

« Reply #183 on: 27 Nov 2010, 06:21 pm »
These remind me of those cardas plugs with the resistor in them, you plug unused rca's with them. Everything with a wire attached is an antennae for noise. It looks like these blanket the speaker terminals and resist noise from being amplified.

Philistine

« Reply #184 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:04 am »
Mine arrive today, more later :thumb:

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #185 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:14 am »
Mine arrived to day. Need to play with them a bit more as their brilliance drove from my room.  :no_hear:
They may not be a good fit for my Omegas but let no one tell you they do not affect the sound.
This tweak hits you right between the eyes.  :thumb:
Tom

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #186 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:31 am »
Ordered mine a few days ago, He has to be swamped, so waiting patiently. :thumb:
 All good things in time!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #187 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:33 am »
Mine arrived to day. Need to play with them a bit more as their brilliance drove from my room.  :no_hear:
They may not be a good fit for my Omegas but let no one tell you they do not affect the sound.
This tweak hits you right between the eyes.  :thumb:
Tom

Don't you mean right behind the eyes?  :lol:  Hey you got 30 days, let them play through the night and see, I mean hear what you have in the morning.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

gibheid

« Reply #188 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:28 am »
...their brilliance drove me from my room...

I had a similar problem. Clean your connections, the stridency will disappear overnight.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #189 on: 28 Nov 2010, 07:00 am »
Has anyone compared these to anything else be it DIY or ... ?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #190 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:59 pm »
The very first night, like 6 hours in my system, I also experienced some rather harsh brightness which was gone by the next day. Its only occurred that one time and I've swapped out a bunch of different speakers since then. Its weird and as mentioned before it seems to take some time for the effects to really strengthen, like the wire starts out cold and then over time accumulates whatever it is that it accumulates and roughly 20-30 minutes in after a change the effects are evident. I have had these attached to 4 different pair of speakers over the last week or so and all were affected in a positive way.

When someone figures out exactly what these do please post about it, I keep reading about Ground Planes and then my mind glazes over...enjoy!!! :thumb:

Jon L

« Reply #191 on: 28 Nov 2010, 07:46 pm »
I also experienced some rather harsh brightness

It's interesting people keep saying this.  Would you guys the "brightness" is in the true treble proper, as in >10-12 kHz range or actually in the low-treble/upper-midrange area? 

I'm actually experiencing noticeably less energy (8 GE's in system) in high treble but more "pronounced" texture in midrange, which *may* be construed as brightness, grain, whatever..

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #192 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:19 pm »
It's interesting people keep saying this.  Would you guys the "brightness" is in the true treble proper, as in >10-12 kHz range or actually in the low-treble/upper-midrange area? 

I'm actually experiencing noticeably less energy (8 GE's in system) in high treble but more "pronounced" texture in midrange, which *may* be construed as brightness, grain, whatever..

Well I'm feeling that there is a clarity gain through out the frequency range so if what is said is true in the advertising of grounding devices, {that being these Grounding devices add nothing, only allow what's already there to be heard}, any brightness would seem to be an extended frequency range that's always been there and is finally being heard.

Unlike some, this "brightness" for me is more of an awareness that I don't consider being as actually "bright" cuz there's absolutely no fatigue that would normally result from such a condition. For me & my system, these Enhancers only result in obtaining much higher volume levels that I've never been able to comfortably listen to before.  :singing:

This ultimately results in my placing a second order for me system.  :green:

Cheers,
Robin

yo2tup

« Reply #193 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »

I'm experiencing the exact same thing you are.  I was starting to think that I was alone on this one.

Phil

« Reply #194 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:34 pm »
After placing the GEs, all frequencies were "boosted" and the sound was bad.  As seems to be the usual case (perhaps this has to do with hearing rather than anything else), breakin was from the lower frequencies upward.

After about 10 hours of breakin, the HF are out of balance and too bright.  I don't hear this as extended range, but sibilance where there shouldn't be any.  Since my speakers are biwired, there is the option of removing a GE from the HF/midrange.  Time will tell....especially in the long term.  I've used other tweaks that sound great in the short term but reveal themselves to either artificially boost or, conversely, smooth the sound.  It is difficult to find one that kills the noise without making the music less natural.  The two most natural, to my ears, are balanced power and PI Audio's Majik buss.

Phil

Charles Xavier

« Reply #195 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:57 pm »
After placing the GEs, all frequencies were "boosted" and the sound was bad.  As seems to be the usual case (perhaps this has to do with hearing rather than anything else), breakin was from the lower frequencies upward.

After about 10 hours of breakin, the HF are out of balance and too bright.  I don't hear this as extended range, but sibilance where there shouldn't be any.  Since my speakers are biwired, there is the option of removing a GE from the HF/midrange.  Time will tell....especially in the long term.  I've used other tweaks that sound great in the short term but reveal themselves to either artificially boost or, conversely, smooth the sound.  It is difficult to find one that kills the noise without making the music less natural.  The two most natural, to my ears, are balanced power and PI Audio's Majik buss.

Phil

I just bowed out. I removed them from my system. There seems to be a roller coaster effect with these

Phil

« Reply #196 on: 28 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm »
Charles,

So how long did you have them in your system?  Just curious since I've been a lemming like the rest and want to know when I will be over the cliff...  :lol:

Phil

Jon L

« Reply #197 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:06 am »
Been doing some careful experiments at home.  The "GE Effect" goes something like this in MY system.

1 GE on speaker AND amp > 2 GE's paralleled on speaker > 1 GE on speaker

Upon some pondering, the "GE Effect" to me is similar to a really good paper-in-oil capacitor.  Those who have changed out a pretty good polypropylene cap with a good PIO will have an idea. 

At first listen, there will seem to be less extreme highs.  This is probably real, but over time, one gets used to this sound, and the other benefits stand out more.

Speaking of benefits, you get a ton more tonal richness, textural vividness, and girth/weight to notes.  Bass also becomes slightly looser/freer, perhaps not as razor-defined but more woody/resonant. 

More importantly, after your ears acclimate to the new sound, music just sounds more involving, attractive, and addicting.  I felt that 2 GE's paralled on speaker sacrificed less extreme treble and more even frequency-wise; however, I ended up going back to GE on speaker and amp because I missed that specialness, warts and all.  Still the best $100 I've spent on audio in some time (8 GE's for active biamped system).  What's better, everything is reversible easily.  Thumbs up, Rick  :thumb:

P.S.  Obviously, everyone's system is different, so YMMV, etc, etc.

pjnad

« Reply #198 on: 29 Nov 2010, 08:55 pm »
so...mine arrived earlier today; I ordered 2 pair for my biwired VonSchweikert VR4's with upgraded drivers. After putting them onto all 4 negative terminals, I let them run in for about an hour and a half before really sitting down to listen.
My impression was disappointment, my all solid state system was not nearly as resolving or detailed, in fact the highs sounded smooth but muddy, as did the bass. wondering...could these things work differently on all solid state systems ( seems that many of you are running at least some tubes )? Are the VS speakers built differently?
Next, I removed the ge's from the tweeter/mid modules and the clarity returned, albeit, slightly more edgy?digital? but definitely more enjoyable...after a short listen, I hooked the now spare ge's to the neg terminals on my Krell amp, on the outputs that carry the low frequency signals to the bass module of the VR4's, which still had the ge's. Voila! Nice! bass seemed to become more defined and some grunge and bloat was removed, the system seems to 'swing" with excellent pace and rhythm.
I guess time will tell...in a few days I might try reconnecting them to the upper speaker modules again and have another listen.
Anybody have any thoughts???

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #199 on: 29 Nov 2010, 08:59 pm »
so...mine arrived earlier today; I ordered 2 pair for my biwired VonSchweikert VR4's with upgraded drivers. After putting them onto all 4 negative terminals, I let them run in for about an hour and a half before really sitting down to listen.
My impression was disappointment, my all solid state system was not nearly as resolving or detailed, in fact the highs sounded smooth but muddy, as did the bass. wondering...could these things work differently on all solid state systems ( seems that many of you are running at least some tubes )? Are the VS speakers built differently?
Next, I removed the ge's from the tweeter/mid modules and the clarity returned, albeit, slightly more edgy?digital? but definitely more enjoyable...after a short listen, I hooked the now spare ge's to the neg terminals on my Krell amp, on the outputs that carry the low frequency signals to the bass module of the VR4's, which still had the ge's. Voila! Nice! bass seemed to become more defined and some grunge and bloat was removed, the system seems to 'swing" with excellent pace and rhythm.
I guess time will tell...in a few days I might try reconnecting them to the upper speaker modules again and have another listen.
Anybody have any thoughts???

Send them back!  :thumb: