• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #980 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:10 am »
When did we loose the balance control ? :scratch:

... there are some other differences too ... single ended out, maybe. :o

zoom25

« Reply #981 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:48 am »
The BHA-1 picture on the previous page didn't have a balance control pot, but looks like it had a 3.5mm headphone out? I've seen differences in the past with regards to the nomenclature on the faceplate. Different words in different locations in different versions.

Has there been a recent change in model design? If so, where can we see the most up to date pic?

Silverbullet

« Reply #982 on: 19 Apr 2016, 05:05 am »
This photo looks like one I saw of a prototype before release. I think I saw it in Canadian HiFi early on.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #983 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:52 am »
Hi James,
If you receive the LCD4 can you briefly comment on its performance. Not sure if you own Audeze or not but I think you may have mentioned owning a pair awhile back.

Mark
Hi Mark

Yes I have 2 versions of the Audeze but not tested the LCD4 yet - by the way Audeze purchased the BHA-1 for their demos.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #984 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:53 am »
When did we loose the balance control ? :scratch:

Hi Spot

Very early prototype picture.

james

schugh

« Reply #985 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:53 am »
Hi James,
If you receive the LCD4 can you briefly comment on its performance. Not sure if you own Audeze or not but I think you may have mentioned owning a pair awhile back.

Mark

I'm not James, but I have been using the LCD4 with the BHA1 for a couple of months. A very nice pairing.
I have no complaints.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #986 on: 21 Apr 2016, 08:31 pm »
I don't know if it was asked in here or another thread yet, but will any of the Cubed tech make it into the BHA-1?
Is such an upgrade even viable for this product?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #987 on: 21 Apr 2016, 09:10 pm »
I would love to have cubed-like technology in the linestages like BP17 or BP26. But the costs may outweigh the performance benefits.

zoom25

« Reply #988 on: 5 May 2016, 07:30 pm »
What's up with the price increase on the BHA-1? Seeing MSRP listed as $1,695 all of a sudden everywhere.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #989 on: 5 May 2016, 09:03 pm »
What's up with the price increase on the BHA-1? Seeing MSRP listed as $1,695 all of a sudden everywhere.

Hi

Yes it went up in February. 

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #990 on: 5 May 2016, 10:38 pm »

Ya should've snagged one when it first came out  :duh: :green:

zoom25

« Reply #991 on: 6 May 2016, 01:34 am »

Ya should've snagged one when it first came out  :duh: :green:

Me and the BHA-1 have gone back and forth for the last 4 years. Every time I am about to get it, something else ends up happening. I was going to get it about two months ago, but ended up going for monitors and amp instead. They're still on my list though. It'd look nice with my BDP-1.

rob80b

« Reply #992 on: 19 May 2016, 05:21 pm »

Just in... new from Germany, the HD800Ss....plugged them in..... put the BCD-1 on repeat disc, Kraftwerk of course  :wink:...cranked up the BHA-1 and will let them burn in and hopefully do a thorough listening (I hope) this evening.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #993 on: 19 May 2016, 08:36 pm »
I would love to hear your thoughts, especially compared to the Audezes you have.

rob80b

« Reply #994 on: 19 May 2016, 10:19 pm »
I would love to hear your thoughts, especially compared to the Audezes you have.

Two different beasts and I’ve had the original HD800s before, great cans but I never really warmed up to them…I’m hoping the “S”s are a little different and from a short listen there is more base, still that amazing sound field and layering but the LCD2.2s are my chill-out cans with their more intimate presentation, deep base and an overall enveloping organic sound.
The 800Ss are actually competing with my HD700s which I preferred over the original 800s.

But I’ll keep you up to date.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #995 on: 20 May 2016, 06:03 am »
I think I have the exact same opinion! I tried the HD800's, and while I appreciated the detail and certainly the comfort, I just didn't love them. I tried the HD700's too, and while an improvement (for me) from the HD800's, I still just didn't stop focusing on the headphones and listen to the music. I finally got to listen to some LCD-2's and completely drifted into the music, ignoring the headphones themselves.

So, I'll be really curious to read what you think. I had several Sennheiser headphones prior to the LCD-2's, and loved them all.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #996 on: 16 Jun 2016, 02:37 am »
This thread's been silent a long time....so I figure it's time to ask:

James,

Any chance of seeing a BHA-2 in the foreseeable future, maybe with the tech advances of the cubed-series input stage, to enhance headphone sound imaging and lower noise floor even more? Sort of a miniaturized version of the cubie's input stage circuitry?

Pete

ttsto

« Reply #997 on: 16 Jun 2016, 09:16 am »
Adding to the wish list, I would really like if BHA technology either evolves to a more functional pre-amp, with remote controlled volume, also better distribution of the gain from the volume (now I listen to about 8:00 and can't exceed 9:00 on the volume knob) or, why not, if there will be an option for the more expensive Bryston pre-amps to add a headphone amplifier module of the caliber of BHA...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #998 on: 16 Jun 2016, 10:35 am »
Adding to the wish list, I would really like if BHA technology either evolves to a more functional pre-amp, with remote controlled volume, also better distribution of the gain from the volume (now I listen to about 8:00 and can't exceed 9:00 on the volume knob)

Not sure if you know this; you can get the gain reduced inside BHA-1. I had it done at my dealer here a while ago, as I too could not go past 9 o'clock. Involves a resistor change or two.

I think putting a BHA-quality headamp inside a line preamp would increase costs tremendously, kill the sales volume of the separate BHA, and maybe even compromise performance (cross-talk noise?) of the line preamp. But hey, it doesn't hurt to ask Santa, eh?   :lol: :green:

jtinto

« Reply #999 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:39 pm »
Not sure if you know this; you can get the gain reduced inside BHA-1. I had it done at my dealer here a while ago, as I too could not go past 9 o'clock. Involves a resistor change or two.

I've thought about making the resistor change too just for ergonomics. I rarely go above 9 o'clock with HD800 or LCD-3F balanced with the sensitivity switch on low.

CanadianMaestro, did you find there was any change in the sound quality? or did it just give you more range on the volume control?

Cheers, JT