Bryson BP-26 volume control

Jadeeye

Bryson BP-26 volume control
« on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:43 pm »
Hello Bryson,

I’ve owned my BP-26 since 2002 and it has always had a very sensitive volume control. Slight adjustments, especially when using the remote, significantly increase the volume. I cannot turn up the volume past 20-25% without blaring my speakers (B&W 804’s). It is paired with a BSST-4 which is correctly set to use balanced inputs. I primarily play my music using a BPD-1 and a BAC-1. It is also touchy when I use my Music Hall mff-25 CD player. Is there a way to change this sensitivity. Thank you so much!

AJ Fernandez

TomS

Re: Bryson BP-26 volume control
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:28 pm »
Hello Bryson,

I’ve owned my BP-26 since 2002 and it has always had a very sensitive volume control. Slight adjustments, especially when using the remote, significantly increase the volume. I cannot turn up the volume past 20-25% without blaring my speakers (B&W 804’s). It is paired with a BSST-4 which is correctly set to use balanced inputs. I primarily play my music using a BPD-1 and a BAC-1. It is also touchy when I use my Music Hall mff-25 CD player. Is there a way to change this sensitivity. Thank you so much!

AJ Fernandez
Have you tried lowering the gain setting on the 4BSST to the 23db setting?

Jadeeye

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:51 pm »
Yes, I’ve tried this.  Thank you.

guest61169

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:10 pm »
You could try some inline balanced attenuators, like these:
http://www.thatcable.com/product/XLR-In-Line-Balanced-Attenuator-Volume-Adapter-20dB
Have you tried single-ended connections between preamp and power amp?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2018, 12:36 am »
The real culprits are the fact that the CD standard output is much higher than all the rest of the usual audio voltages.
CD is like 2 volts. Were everything else up to the invention of CD was 0.5 volts max! And then some insane CD player makers up the voltage to 6 volts..
So every single preamp made is still living in the pre-CD Universe when it comes to gain (or so it seems)

I have the same complaint, made worse by the fact I keep the 23/29 switch on my own 4B-SST² set to the 29 gain since it just plain sounds better than the 23 gain.

I have TWO reasons I can live with it better than the op.
#1 is with most CD sources I pass the signal first through a tube preamp I use as a fancy tube buffer. Since it also has a volume control.. they both are at more nominal positions.
#2 I do not need the remote! I have my volume control off to my left and back a bit. So I can reach the BP-26 actual volume control with my hand.
Yeah it sticks into the room. So what.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2018, 01:28 am »
AJ,

The 804's are a little on the sensitive side to begin with - at about 90-92 dB. 

As a contrasting example, when i hook up my B&W bookshelves (CM1 S2 i think) to my 4BSST2/BP20 combo  - i can crank the volume knob damn near to 12 o'clock on those little speakers - with the gain set at 23, and with balanced cables.  and they sound deadly. i believe this is in part due to the low sensitivity rating for the CM1 S2 speakers - at around 84dB.

So, I'd say your 804's are definitely part of the equation to your volume dilemma.

TJ