LGK 1.0's are here

devinkato

Re: LGK 1.0 are here
« Reply #120 on: 21 Apr 2014, 05:10 am »
The white cabinets look really nice  :thumb:

What speakers are those behind the LGKs?

Thanks so much!

The other speakers are my own design.  Aura NS3's mated with some Seas tweeters.  They are nice, but I think I'm going to work them into a 3-way on top of some Exodus Anarchy 6.5"s.

persisting1

« Reply #121 on: 21 Apr 2014, 05:14 am »
Thanks so much!

The other speakers are my own design.  Aura NS3's mated with some Seas tweeters.  They are nice, but I think I'm going to work them into a 3-way on top of some Exodus Anarchy 6.5"s.

The Anarchy is a beast of a 6.5". If you have the power, thay will be fun to play with  8)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:55 am »
I found some veneer I thought would look good on my LGK's and ordered it tonight. It's raw wood flat cut Mozambique.  Looking forward to finishing these puppies up.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #123 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:22 pm »
Man, that looks like it should be very beautiful.  Actually reminds me a bit of your  N3's

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #124 on: 23 Apr 2014, 08:03 pm »
Jay,

I had never heard of Mozambique but it does remind me of the Rosewood Santos (Pau Ferro) I used on the N3s. A little darker but pretty close.

This is raw wood rather than backed like I used on the N3s. Never used raw wood before so I will get to learn a new technique. Also, these were closeout lots at veneersupplies.com so at that price I was able to buy enough that I can afford to make some mistakes in the learning process.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #125 on: 26 Apr 2014, 09:06 pm »
The LGK 1.0 Kits are now available for order online. http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: LGK 1.0's are here
« Reply #126 on: 29 Apr 2014, 04:56 am »
Danny,

I just wanted to tell you how much I (and my wife!!--no small feat there) enjoy the LGK 1.0 speakers in our bedroom system. I was amazed at how much bass they knock out considering the drivers are 'just' 3". Now I understand why you have such a following. Damned nice sound!  :thumb: Thank you, sir!

Big +1!

Syrah

« Reply #127 on: 29 Sep 2015, 09:16 pm »
I've just moved offices and I'm thinking of getting a better office system.  Would these work with a flea powered amp, like one of these or even a headphone amp?

https://tubedepot.com/products/tubecube-7-stereo-vacuum-tube-amplifier

Danny Richie

« Reply #128 on: 29 Sep 2015, 09:36 pm »
I've just moved offices and I'm thinking of getting a better office system.  Would these work with a flea powered amp, like one of these or even a headphone amp?

https://tubedepot.com/products/tubecube-7-stereo-vacuum-tube-amplifier

That would be just enough power to drive them as desk top speakers if you are sitting right in front of them.

That little amp is certainly cheap enough. The power cable I'd plug into it cost twice that much.

Syrah

« Reply #129 on: 29 Sep 2015, 09:54 pm »
I know.  It's silly cheap.  I'm in a 12' * 12' office, and I can't really crank them up to 11, so I might take a flyer on the amp.

Syrah

« Reply #130 on: 2 Oct 2015, 09:41 pm »
I assume they would really sing with something like this though,

http://www.wrightaudio.us/royale_series_2.htm

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #131 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:31 am »
I had been powering mine with an OddWatt PodWatt (5wpc) http://www.oddwattaudio.com/owpoddwatt.html  for quite awhile and it did a very nice job.  While it comes as a kit, you can also have it assembled.

At $725 for the kit (plus $150 to be built 2 years ago) these are inexpensive as far as tube amps go but not silly cheap.

Mike

Syrah

« Reply #132 on: 3 Oct 2015, 06:38 pm »
Danny - How would the sound of the LGK compare with the the A/V1s?  I see they are 1db/w different in terms of sensitivity.  How do they compare in terms of power required and efficiency?  The AV1s might raise more eyebrows at the office since they are bigger, and deeper.

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #133 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:08 pm »
Danny - How would the sound of the LGK compare with the the A/V1s?  I see they are 1db/w different in terms of sensitivity.  How do they compare in terms of power required and efficiency?  The AV1s might raise more eyebrows at the office since they are bigger, and deeper.

Thanks.

The LGK's hold there own in the mid-range. And in a small untreated room the more limited off axis response of the 3" drivers can be an advantage.

The A/V-1 will play lower, louder, and have more dynamics. The tweeter outshines the LGK's in the top octaves too.

Syrah

« Reply #134 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:26 pm »
Thanks.  I have a habit of upselling myself, so I'm now eyeing the N3S instead.  That 91db sensitivity and 8-5.2 ohms should make them even better for a SET amp in a small room.  Seems ideal, coupled with a PE MTM enclosure.  Just need to wait for those Neo 3s I guess.

Explaining the 20" high speakers on my desk will not be easy though...

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:28 pm »
Thanks.  I have a habit of upselling myself, so I'm now eyeing the N3S instead.  That 91db sensitivity and 8-5.2 ohms should make them even better for a SET amp in a small room.  Seems ideal, coupled with a PE MTM enclosure.  Just need to wait for those Neo 3s I guess.

Explaining the 20" high speakers on my desk will not be easy though...

The N3S speakers are great, but out of stock until I can acquire more tweeters.

Syrah

« Reply #136 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:38 pm »
I'll wait.  And continue to research SET amps while waiting.  Since my main system is a pair of LS9s with 480w of tube power (not counting subs) - I figured I'd try the opposite end of the spectrum for my office.

I've got my eye on this - http://www.wrightaudio.us/royale_series_2.htm

I like the pre-out with adjustable gain feature.  I could try it bi-amping my OB7s.

If I get the N3S that will make my tally 4 pairs of your speakers.  I've definitely joined the fan club.

Thanks.

dawaro

« Reply #137 on: 20 Oct 2015, 01:18 pm »
If anyone is on the fence about getting a set of these little monsters I would like to offer my full endorsement for them.

I ordered a couple of pairs for a car audio installation and couldn't wait to hear them so I through the in a set of enclosures from the Klipsch ProMedia sets and was blown away. I ended up spending the next 3 hours listening to everything from Quincy Jones and Clair Marlo to Motley Crue and Metalica. They can truly cover it all.

I cant wait to get them into their actual intended install location and see how they perform. I am probably also going to end up getting a 3rd set with the correction filter to use in my office at home.

Definitely a home run on Danny's part!

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #138 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:07 pm »
If anyone is on the fence about getting a set of these little monsters I would like to offer my full endorsement for them.

I ordered a couple of pairs for a car audio installation and couldn't wait to hear them so I through the in a set of enclosures from the Klipsch ProMedia sets and was blown away. I ended up spending the next 3 hours listening to everything from Quincy Jones and Clair Marlo to Motley Crue and Metalica. They can truly cover it all.

I cant wait to get them into their actual intended install location and see how they perform. I am probably also going to end up getting a 3rd set with the correction filter to use in my office at home.

How easy was it to replace the promedia speakers? I'd be interested in hearing the details of the mod. I've skimmed through some of the reviews of the promedia 2.1 online and it sounds like a system with a lot of potential with the mods you're speaking of..

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:17 pm »

How do you put these drivers in a car?