HDMI to USB Converter For DSD?

Freo-1

HDMI to USB Converter For DSD?
« on: 30 Jan 2015, 01:23 am »
Does such an item exist?  I'm looking to take the DSD output from the Oppo BD 105 and convert it to USB as an input to a outboard DAC/Preamp. There are plenty of USB to HDMI, but can't find out much for the other way around.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: HDMI to USB Converter For DSD?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2015, 01:46 am »

No, HDMi cannot be converted to USB for DSD, sorry.  You can send DSD via HDMI to an AVR that decodes DSD, but that's it.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2015, 01:48 am »
Thanks, Ted.  I was afraid of that, but thought it was worth asking.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2015, 02:55 am »
Freo:  I suspect the issue here is copy protection and DSD licensing.  No one is going to allow simple, in the clear, access to a DSD data stream generated from (copy protected) SACD discs.

The solution is to rip, or have someone, rip any SACD discs which you may have.  Once you have the DSD (dsf/dff) files, then playing them with existing hardware is fairly simple.
The legality of ripping DSD files from SACDs which you own is still not entirely clear to me.  But, it is probably OK, and covered by what is known as "fair use", as long as you own the SACDs in question, and do not share the files with anyone else.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2015, 04:25 am »
Ahh, Freo, if it's SACDs you need ripping (I wrote the guide, and instructionson how to take those rips and extract DSF files) I can do that.  I do it all the time for friends, etc.  PM me.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2015, 04:34 pm »
The legality of ripping DSD files from SACDs which you own is still not entirely clear to me.  But, it is probably OK, and covered by what is known as "fair use", as long as you own the SACDs in question, and do not share the files with anyone else.

This is exactly correct.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2015, 05:05 pm »
This is exactly correct.

Not exactly (fair use doesn't include code breaking) but it seems to now fall under common use, at least.  :)

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2015, 08:11 am »
In the UK it's now legal to format shift the media one owns to back up or consume on another platform...except when to do so involves circumventing protection technologies. So in the UK, it's OK to rip SACDs in principle, but still not legal because doing so involves hacking a PS3. So near, yet so far...