8 x Roxy Music SHM-SACD releases due in January 2015!

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
The 8 Roxy Music studio albums are being released by Universal Japan on SHM-SACD on 28th January 2015 and contain DSD transfers from original UK analogue masters (done in 2014). The prices are currently about £21/$34 (excluding import costs) and although it's somewhat expensive, it's a lot less than SHM-SACDs from a few years ago which cost about £35/$60 plus import costs. The first 3 albums are no brainers for me and I'll be ordering them for sure, but might skip a few others.

The official blurb says:
"Cardboard sleeve reissue from Roxy Music features SHM-SACD format and HR cutting from the 2014 DSD master, using the UK original analog master. Comes with an obi faithfully replicating the one in the Japanese edition LP. This series features the following albums "Roxy Music," "For Your Pleasure," "Stranded," "Country Life," "Siren," "Manifesto," "Flesh And Blood," "Avalon."

Oh, and I read elsewhere Steven Wilson might be doing a 5.1 release of one of them (or already has done), but I'm not sure which and if you plan to order via CD Japan and have preordered some of the SHM-SACD reissues due for release on 26th November, the smart move is to wait until your points are credited to your account then order the Roxy Music SACDs, that's what I'll be doing :)

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: 8 x Roxy Music SHM-SACD releases due in January 2015!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:12 pm »
Would get them all, but especially fond of For Your Pleasure and Siren (would make a great 5.1).  Met Phil at a Cleveland record store back in 1973.  Very nice guy!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2014, 01:30 am »
Hmmmm, I really like my SHM-SACDS's, but I'm going to wait for a couple of reviews before purchasing any of these. I bought "The Complete Studio Recordings" box set just two years ago for only $80. They were advertised as "2012 flat transfers from the original analogue master tapes" and I was very impressed with the sound. I have a big wish list - on the fence with this one.

Thanks for the post!

Slush

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:05 am »
I don't think I've ever heard an instance where the SHM's didn't improve on the original American/European transfers.  Not sure who is in charge of their program, but they know what the heck they are doing.

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2014, 10:40 am »
It looks like Steven Wilson has indeed done some remixes of Roxy Music album(s) because Amazon UK said the following in the blurb for his forthcoming album, Hand Cannot Erase, "Steven Wilson has not only been busy recording his fourth solo album, but continues to be the leading light and saviour of catalogue reissues by producing new mixes of classic albums for Tears For Fears, XTC, Yes & Roxy Music".

Although it remains to be confirmed which Roxy Music albums SW has been/ will be remixing, the word on the web is, the first two albums, Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure will receive the SW treatment which hopefully means, 5.1 releases of both and this comment by Amazon is the first I've seen posted by a retailer confirming SW's involvement with the Roxy Music back catalogue. I still think I'll order the first three albums on SACD, but I think that's it and if SW does indeed do 5.1 mixes of the first two (or three), I'm buying them for sure too :)