Candela Mods

dknywinnie

• Music for Life
Candela Mods
« on: 3 Mar 2011, 08:04 pm »
Besides tubes rollings, what other mods will improve candelas? Any suggestions?

BobC

Re: Candela Mods
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 08:49 pm »
I don't know if it's a mod, or an improvement in future models, but I really don't care for the remote.  I'd like to see a matching, Candela specific, aluminum remote with control for power, source selection, volume and mute.  Is that too much to ask?  Seems pretty common place.

Perhaps on the Kismet Pre?

Re the mods, does Odyssey offer upgrades to the Candela, like they do with the Stratos line?

dknywinnie

• Music for Life
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:25 am »
For the signal coupling capacitors, I've got a couple SONICAPs. These are very good caps. Have anyone tried the Teflon V-caps, Teflon Solen Caps, and Mundorf Silver/Gold Oil Caps? How about those RCA connectors? I plan to use Cardas GRFA. Then the potentiometer.... Any inputs?

dknywinnie

• Music for Life
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2011, 06:52 am »
The SONICAP in my system are Gen1. I'm thinking to upgrade them to SONICAP Platinum. Also, with a pair of Amperex Pq 7316, I believe this will be an awful preamp.

Gvt1911

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm »
Just added a pair of Platinum 0.01mfd bypass caps to the 1.0 mfd caps and put in a pair of CV4003 tubes. I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. The sound is more detailed and vocals are cleaner, more of a 3D soundstage. Nice,quick and involving preamp. I am surprised as it bested my upgraded Cary AE3 MKII... :o

dknywinnie

• Music for Life
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2011, 02:50 pm »
My next mod will be the power supply capacitors. My Candela uses Cornell caps which are very good caps. I believe Continental type A caps and Mundorf M-LYTIC caps will take this preamp to another level.