No-Rez install

BK_856er

No-Rez install
« on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:22 am »
Today I cut and mitered 22 pieces of No-Rez for a SEAS A26 build with Baltic Birch.

Question #1:  Apart from making the wood surface free of dust and particulate, is any surface treatment like primer beneficial here to make sure the No-Rez sticks for decades?  I used No-Rez twice before on MDF, one primed and one not, and it worked out great.

Question #2:  Normally I cut the foam part back 1" from the baffle and leave the damping for that 1".  Would a 45 degree angle do just as well?

BTW, Bosch jigsaw with wood blades worked great but took a few blades due to the rapid dulling caused by the damping layer.

Another tip - the free program Cutlist 4.04 is invaluable for laying out sheet goods and also No-Rez to minimize waste!!

BK

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: No-Rez install
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm »
Sweet looking 45 degree cuts!  :thumb:

Both times I used No Rez was on unprimed MDF. Sticks like crazy. My cuts were strictly low tech - I used an old bread knife with a serrated edge.  :lol:

I'm really interested in reading your impressions of the A26 sound. I've probably read their description in Madisound a dozen times already, but never heard them.

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2017, 02:42 pm »
Question number 1: So long as the surface is clean and dust free then it will stick like crazy.

Question number 2: Your 45 degree angle will work fine.

BK_856er

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:50 am »
Thanks - will clean and stick!

I didn't miter the baffle facing edges yet and left them square, but the jigsaw will make short work of that.

In the past I've used a utility knife and razor blades to cut No-Rez.  Definitely prefer the jigsaw/edge guide outcome.

My Cutlist image is attached - great little program.  I did a second pass for the 45 degree cut (double the work, twice the fun).

Will post up my A26 impressions in a few weeks after things are assembled.  Going for a vintage stroll with these.

BK

cleestedwood

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2017, 06:43 pm »
I've had good luck cutting No-Rez on a bandsaw. Clean easy cuts with almost no blade waste.

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:11 pm »
I love the band saw cuts.  I do use a table saw for the 45 degree cuts. No waste and slices like butter.

BK_856er

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2017, 02:38 am »
Worked out well and sticks like crazy!

BK