ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

Wayner

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:37 pm »
Steve,

Correct. The Vision EC DAC will have a 4 position selector switch on the front panel to select either of the 2 coax or 2 toslink connectors. This is also a digital selector as it tells the board which input to listen to. The selector switch adds no noise, as it is not part of any audio or digital loop. It merely tells the DAC which input to listen to.

Wayner 

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:46 pm »
Correct, inputs selected by front panel switch.  No remote control planned for that function.

Frank

highfilter

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2009, 09:52 pm »
Hey Frank,

could you post images of the new AVA Basic Vision DAC? Just curious to see how it looks (front/back if possible). Very interested and might jump on this DAC as it sounds killer for the price!

trebejo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2009, 09:55 pm »
Very impressive. Congratulations!

Are you planning to do something for the folks that would miss not having any tubes?  :wink:

jhm731

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:45 am »
"Note that a USB input is not provided because high bit rate USB computer output requires software driver programs, and we simply do not want to get into the software support business."

Just in case you missed it, the Stereophile Product of the Year is the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC which
uses Asynchronous USB licensed from J. Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio.

You don't need to be in the software support business to included a USB input. Design and support can be out sourced.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2009, 05:55 am by jhm731 »

trebejo

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:48 am »
Quote from: BrianM

Answer: get the UltraValve amp.  The U70 is my favorite amp ever.

Oh, you audio homewrecker. I have the UV 550 and now you're tampering with marital bliss. I'll just use the excuse of needing the extra watts

Well, if Frank has gone and improved on something that was already pretty amazing, it just shows to go ya. Alas, once the tubes are in the house, it sure is difficult to let them go...

Oh, and this DAC (and its brethren preamp/dac combo) has a balanced output option, for those of us silly enough to care about such things, and for a very reasonable cost (considering that that usually doubles the parts count). Mr. Van Alstine is a very nice man, no doubt. A balanced Ultra amp, someday, perhaps...   8)

trebejo

« Reply #26 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:05 am »
Just in case you missed it, the Stereophile Product of the Year is the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC which

Among the other things I am missing from Stereophile is a review of this little AV Ultra Fet 550 amp in my living room that is a couple of parsecs ahead of another amp that was heartily recommended in those hallowed pages. In fact, I suspect it's ahead of practically everything they have reviewed there, given that directly-observed standard.

Darn it, they neglected to review any of the DACs, too. Busy magazine, I guess.

Anyway, this would merit its own thread, so I'll be brief: there are excellent reasons to de-emphasize USB support in an audiophile context. Portable lo-fi market, maybe; but if you are already supplying a listening room with real speakers, etc., then USB is probably the least favorable option. I don't think that Van Alstine should worry about that, at least not until they bring out their... yes... I can see it now, the NanoFrank portable USB DAC-pre-amp all-in-one (maybe it'll have the teeniest little tube in there too).

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #27 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:28 am »
"Note that a USB input is not provided because high bit rate USB computer output requires software driver programs, and we simply do not want to get into the software support business."

You don't to be in the software support business to included a USB input. Design and support can be out sourced.

jhm731 purchased an AVA amp last year. He returned the amp within the trial period. He was unhappy. He posted the amp's serial number several times.  He comes back every once in a while to educate Frank.  His 3rd most popular board by posts is the Intergalactic Wastebin.   

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #28 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:20 am »
Hi Guys - It's great to see more DACs available and I'm happy AVA announced the Vision. I would like to offer additional information about USB audio / inputs. Special software and drivers are not needed to support sample rates above 24/96 via USB. Currently Mac OS X supports Class Two Audio so the built in operating system drivers take care of everything. Windows 7 will hopefully support Class Two Audio with the first service pack. First quarter next year will see the release of these higher bit rate USB DACs without additional software or drivers.

Also I think the broad statement from trebejo, "there are excellent reasons to de-emphasize USB support in an audiophile context" is a vast overgeneralization and is misleading. There are excellent quality USB DACs available that are much better sounding than "traditional" DACs. The reverse is also true. It's all a matter of implementation and the quality of the design. I just had the dCS Puccini U-Clock, Paganini DAC, and Paganini Upsampler here for review and its USB to Coaxial S/PDIF converter was stunning. It's better than most "traditional" audio interfaces.

Anyway just a couple thoughts not meant to stir the pot but offer additional information for reader consumption.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #29 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:30 am »
I just had the dCS Puccini U-Clock, Paganini DAC, and Paganini Upsampler here for review

Lucky Dog!!!  :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:13 am »
Chris-

Thanks for posting the info about the USB drivers.

IMO, adding an Asynchronous USB input licensed from J. Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio would broaden the appeal of this new DAC.

I'm surprised that someone like oneinthepipe, who's digital source is computer-based, doesn't understand that.

Thanks for your great forum.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:33 am »
Is posting in this manufacturer's forum in this thread announcing their new DAC, an appropriate place to for others to post about their favorite DACs, or would that be considered inappropriate?

PMAT

« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:43 am »
Inappropriate. Tolerable if it doesn't advance. Back to the release....

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:01 am »
Just trying to add information and use examples to support my position.

I'm out.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:35 am »

IMO, adding an Asynchronous USB input ... would broaden the appeal of this new DAC.

I'm surprised that someone like oneinthepipe, who's digital source is computer-based, doesn't understand that.

I understand that Frank might sell more DACs if he added USB inputs.  I am certain that Frank understands that he might sell more DACs if he added USB inputs.  Apparently, the fulcrum of Frank's value system is producing the best-sounding DACs rather than the best-selling DACs.  If Frank eventually decides to include USB inputs in his DACs, I am confident that the DACs will operate flawlessly.  I could buy any manufacturer's DAC.  However, I sent my Insight SL to Frank today to have a Vision DAC installed, sans USB

I don't read Stereophile.  I sat two seats away from the editor on the limo ride to the airport after RMAF.  I listened to the guy drone on to some manufacturer's rep for an hour.  At one point, I was tempted to ask the guy if Stereophile, or their parent company, which he indicated was concerned about profits, intended to have a "100 Best Looking Products" issue, similar to People Magazine's Most Beautiful People issue.  I believe that particular issue, like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, is always a big money-maker. 

I think if members wish to "educate" Frank, who has over 40 years of experience in audio design, they should have the courtesy of contacting him privately.  However, "malcontents" usually don't display an abundance of courtesy, and instead, are more likely to demonstrate their narcissism by criticizing a manufacturer in a thread, in the manufacturer's own forum, in which the manufacturer eagerly announced a new product.  I think that is the height of bad manners, in addition to being indicative of other issues.  Of course, they will protest, silently I hope, that they were merely trying to be helpful or that they were just trying to stimulate "constructive" discussion. 

BTW, jhm731, which DACs have you designed and produced?  Chris C., what products listed on your website did you design and manufacture?  I didn't think so.

trebejo

« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2009, 09:25 am »
Computer -> Squeezebox -> {Van Alstine Ultra Dac, Van Alstine Vision DAC} -> Preamp with at least two inputs -> amp

Since the Squeezebox has both coax and optical digital outputs, both active simultaneously, this setup lets you a/b between two Van Alstine DAC. In fact, it is an excellent setup for using both DACs according to one's mood. 

I think that means that there are enough inputs for the DACs. 8)

As for the sound, well, the ultra dac is one fine dac, and the new one is supposed to be even better. Phew.

mark funk

« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2009, 11:53 am »
That's not a dumb question I was just going to ask the same question.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:44 pm »

That confuses me more...I'm trying to decide between these two.  Please help!

charmerci

« Reply #38 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:51 pm »

That confuses me more...I'm trying to decide between these two.  Please help!

The Ultra Valve replaces the U70.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:14 pm »
Oh, right. Didn't mean to use the two names interchangeably like that.

Sorry to derail the thread, but if you're trying to decide between a U70 and an Ultravalve, the economical/sensible thing to do IMO would be to buy the used U70 that's up for sale on Audio Circle right now for $850. That's around half the cost of a new Ultravalve but not half the performance, especially once you do the B+ wiring mod. If, that is, things like looks and an exposed circuit board aren't important factors.

How far "off" is the U70 from the UV?