What is a Tube-Fet-Valve-12Db-Octave cd processor?

aln

What is a Tube-Fet-Valve-12Db-Octave cd processor?
« on: 24 Aug 2017, 12:50 am »
Is it just a tube buffer?  Never saw one before. Thanks

Brett Buck

Re: What is a Tube-Fet-Valve-12Db-Octave cd processor?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:28 am »
Is it just a tube buffer?  Never saw one before. Thanks

I am not sure and I don't know where you saw that, but it suggests that the output filter is 2nd order instead of 1st order.

Brett

aln

It's on eBay with one input and one output.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2017, 01:49 pm »
Copy and post the link. AVA made/make line buffers but I'm not sure whether any were hybrid (I think not). "CD processor"?

Never mind. Here is the link. Not sure exactly what the he** this is/does. Appears to be a bandwith-limited pre-preamp?

Oh FRAA-aaaank....

Doesn't appear to be well cared for with all the paint chipping though, I'd probably pass on it regardless.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:00 pm »
Do you mean say 12dB per octave compressor?
The ad say:
This sale is for a Audio by Van Alstine Tube Fet-Valve 12Db/Octave CD Player Filter-Amplifier.
So seems a compressor to me.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:04 pm »
Follow the link. Best guess is it's some type of hybrid line buffer with a low pass filter on the output.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:32 pm »
Doesn't appear to be well cared for with all the paint chipping though, I'd probably pass on it regardless.
Its a pro audio equip subject to constant assembly and travel.

jmc207

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:51 pm »
This device was part of an old CD player/tube output stage combo the AVA sold a long, long time ago. I believe it only worked in combination with Frank's modified CD player. I think it's worthless without the matching player.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:55 pm »
What did he do?

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:25 am »
Its a pro audio equip subject to constant assembly and travel.
I don't think so.... Pro audio gear would be rack mount, for starters. Except for amps for guitar and harmonica, where they are used for their clipping qualities, pros generally haven't used tube gear in 40 years. As noted in the ebay listing and the labeing, it's an accessory for a CD player, probably intended to 'smooth out' the bad filters in the early players. Frank used to sell a two-box DAC/line buffer waaaay back when IIRC, but the filtering would have been done in the DAC section, which this seems not to be...

Wish AVA would settle the mystery.

rlee8394

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:22 am »
Back in '86, AVA released their Transcendance CD player. It used a Magnavox CD player (CDB-460, I think) that they installed new circuit boards and then had a separate chassis that had the final filter/amplifier circuits installed. Seems that this item is the second chassis. Probably not much good unless you can find the other Magnavox chassis with the other circuit boards installed.  Any of AVAs subsequent stand alone DACs (TOPP-DAC, Omega, Insight, etc.) would probably out perform the original that this filter chassis was paired with.

-Ron

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:36 am »
Back in '86, AVA released their Transcendance CD player. It used a Magnavox CD player (CDB-460, I think) that they installed new circuit boards and then had a separate chassis that had the final filter/amplifier circuits installed. Seems that this item is the second chassis. Probably not much good unless you can find the other Magnavox chassis with the other circuit boards installed.  Any of AVAs subsequent stand alone DACs (TOPP-DAC, Omega, Insight, etc.) would probably out perform the original that this filter chassis was paired with.

-Ron

Yup - used to own one.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2017, 12:46 am »
So it's a $175 paperweight.

I had one of their CD players that had everything inside the Magnavox chassis. Sounded great until it eventually gave out mechanically. When that happened I opened it up. Couldn't tell what was original and what was AVA work, but I remember noticing two of the biggest film caps I've ever seen.