My WJT open baffle build

wendelltate

My WJT open baffle build
« on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:31 pm »
Hi all,

I figured that I would start a clean thread for this build.  I am just beginning to play with this.  I have a pair of Eminence 15a's on the bottom.  On the top I am using a Selenium 220ti compression driver on an 8" waveguide.  The baffles are 22"wide by 34" tall.  I have started out with the crossover at 1200Hz.

I have them bi-amped with a Topping 50 watt on the bottom and a tripath 3116 on the top. 

My initial impressions are this: the soundstage is very seemless and large.  However they are lacking in overall authority and power.  There is an authority in the bass and a fullness in the midrange that is only about 80% there.

I wonder if this would change with more powerful amplification?  These two drivers seem to hand off at around 1000Mz so maybe I am not going to get that full midrange from this combo...

Also, I ordered some Eminence Beta 10cx coaxial speakers to play with.  I think that the 10 driver would lend a lot of authority to the bass and midrange areas. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: My WJT open baffle build
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:11 pm »
You might need a heavier Board/baffle. (You might get another board and glue and screw to it, making it twice and thick/heavy. I know you are in the test stage. Those big 15" woofers need good/solid mounting...)

Are you tilting the speaker back, because your horn might need to be mounted higher. They need to be pointed at the ear or at least at ear/listening level....

And I'm not sure how long those take to break in, so give it some time and the sound will change.

V...

Modified: I have been running my Eminence 12FLA's for a long time, but not real loud. I am not sure how many hours I have in them, but, they just got broken in last week. I started playing/using them around six weeks ago..)
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 11:45 pm by bladesmith »

wendelltate

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:37 pm »
You might need a heavier Board/baffle. (You might get another board and glue and screw to it, making it twice and thick/heavy. I know you are in the test stage. Those big 15" woofers need good/solid mounting...)

Are you tilting the speaker back, because your horn might need to be mounted higher. They need to be pointed at the ear or at least at ear/listening level....

And I'm not sure how long those take to break in, so give it some time and the sound will change.

V...

Modified: I have been running my Eminence 12FLA's for a long time, but not real loud. I am not sure how many hours I have in them, but, they just got broken in last week. I started playing/using them around six weeks ago..)
Thanks.  I was thinking that I might need to double the baffle thickness.  I have a friend who bought a pair of Hologram M1's.  Those are the inspiration for this project.  The baffles on those is really think, like 2 inches.  I found a co-worker this morning who is a great woodworker.  He said that he has some really nice 1" ply at home and that he is going to cut the two pieces for me.

After my friend got the M1's he put them on a break-in cd for about a week.  They ran all night every night and over the weekend.  I figure they got at least 100 hours in the first week or so.  We could all really tell a difference in them.  The soundstage really opened up each day and the bottom end grew in depth and definition each day.  It was a real eye opener.

They are tilted back a bit.  I have some L braces that I am going to use when they get closer to being finished.

The next thing is to play with the crossovers some more   I really need a cheap source of bulk capacitors to play with...and inductors too.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm »
Thanks.  I was thinking that I might need to double the baffle thickness.  I have a friend who bought a pair of Hologram M1's.  Those are the inspiration for this project.  The baffles on those is really think, like 2 inches.  I found a co-worker this morning who is a great woodworker.  He said that he has some really nice 1" ply at home and that he is going to cut the two pieces for me.

After my friend got the M1's he put them on a break-in cd for about a week.  They ran all night every night and over the weekend.  I figure they got at least 100 hours in the first week or so.  We could all really tell a difference in them.  The soundstage really opened up each day and the bottom end grew in depth and definition each day.  It was a real eye opener.

They are tilted back a bit.  I have some L braces that I am going to use when they get closer to being finished.

The next thing is to play with the crossovers some more   I really need a cheap source of bulk capacitors to play with...and inductors too.

The idea of using the one inch ply will help..... They need a good heavy base/structure on them also. One or two inches thick. If you can... :thumb:

If the cross over is giving you any kind of fuss, you can make separate circuits. Make a separate high pass filter,  then make a separate low pass filter. For a two way speaker. It some times help when in the testing phase.

I have a separate board for my tweeter, mid-bass and woofer. My tweeter has a high-pass (3rd Order Butterworth). My mid-bass has a low pass (2nd Order Linkwitz-Riley). And my 15" woofer has a simple Cap/coil low pass filter. My set up is very similar to PureAudioProject's.

I wish I had a bunch of caps to play with too. That would be nice.. :thumb: