Inexpensive pre/pro with room correction

SoCalWJS

Inexpensive pre/pro with room correction
« on: 29 Nov 2015, 09:03 pm »
I have finally decided to forgo my trusty old Lexicon MC-12v4 in favor of an inexpensive pre/pro, at least for the time being. My new room setup just doesn't have room for it and quite honestly, I'm tired of running so many RCA cables. HDMI is much simpler.

The new pre/pro will be hooked up to an old Classe CAV-150 6 channel amp and running GR Research Super V's (for now, possibly the LS-6/Super V "Frankenspeakers" if I can ever find the room) and Thiel Powerpoints.

The limited time I've run a basic Denon AVR-X1000 in this room convinces me that I need Audyssee or similar. Makes a huge difference. I just don't have enough space for extensive room treatments, nor can I pull the speakers very far from the walls.

I'll still be running my Modwright LS100 for 2 channel listening, probably through the same Classe amp for now.

I would love to get something like the Outlaw 975. Simple. Small profile fits easily in a standard rack. Very inexpensive - but no room correction.

I've been looking at some of the refurbished units at Accessories 4 less, but really unfamiliar with any of them. I think all of them support top of the line DTS and Dolby processing - I don't need 9+ channels of speakers. I would love versatile bass management for the future, but good room correction is even more impotant.

Anybody have any first hand experience or suggestions? I figure I may find a deal tomorrow, so I'm ready to jump in if there's a deal out there.

DS-21

Re: Inexpensive pre/pro with room correction
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2015, 11:53 pm »
Why not get the Outlaw and a miniDSP DDRC-22D?

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:37 am »
I would highly recommend going for a used upscale reciever with pre amp outs and just use the processing function.  IMHO the anthem is stellar but im sure good results can be had from an onkyo denon or marantz unit.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:59 am »
I have a Denon 1000.  Just moved it to my office to replace a 13 yr. old Sony ES Receiver.  Just using it in stereo in the office.  Had it in a guest room and moved a Marantz SR6003 (that is about 7 years old in there) after I got a Marantz SR 5010 in another spare system.  The 1000 is OK but I'm not really thrilled with it.  I only bought it (as a refurb) after I put my Pioneer 1120 in there.  The Pioneer was just a drop too deep for the furniture (the feet barely fit on the unit and looked silly with the unit sticking out).  So I moved the Pioneer to the bedroom.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:01 am »
You noted looking at accessories4less.com.  They have this among others - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav7701/marantz-av7701-7.2-4k-3d-av-preamp/processor/1.html

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:24 am »
You noted looking at accessories4less.com.  They have this among others - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav7701/marantz-av7701-7.2-4k-3d-av-preamp/processor/1.html
Yup - one of the ones I'm looking at closely. Was hoping somebody with first hand experience would chime in.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:26 am »
Why not get the Outlaw and a miniDSP DDRC-22D?
A bit more money than I'm hoping to spend. would love to get away with less than $1k for the whole solution - would be even nicer for closer to $700 or so.... don't know if that's realistic. Still on a fairly tight budget for Audio these days.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:30 am »
I would highly recommend going for a used upscale reciever with pre amp outs and just use the processing function.  IMHO the anthem is stellar but im sure good results can be had from an onkyo denon or marantz unit.
The Anthem is definitely out of my budget (either one).

Wish there was a way for the Outlaw to incorporate Audyssey for another $100 or so over the list of the 975.....

Ah well, perhaps I will have to do a major compromise - it's only temporary, right? Right??? RIGHT??!!!?????  :green:

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:07 am »
I have the Outlaw 975, it has a clear sound that is not bright or digital sounding. Calibration levels are set with a Radio Shack meter.

The quality of movie sound is so all over the place is extensive calibration worth the money or time?

And the new 5.1 Blu-ray Audio of Amused to Death by Roger Waters sounds fantastic through the 975, an excellent 96kHz/24bit re-mix.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:44 am »
I'd jump on the Marantz that Phil mentioned. For a few hundred dollars less, you could get one of their receivers with pre-outs since it's only temporary.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2ch-100wpc-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bt/airplay-sale-reduced-80/1.html

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2015, 12:36 pm »
I have the Outlaw 975, it has a clear sound that is not bright or digital sounding. Calibration levels are set with a Radio Shack meter.

The quality of movie sound is so all over the place is extensive calibration worth the money or time?

And the new 5.1 Blu-ray Audio of Amused to Death by Roger Waters sounds fantastic through the 975, an excellent 96kHz/24bit re-mix.

I have the Outlaw 975 and agree with WGH.  :thumb:

A great little pre/pro that sounds great, and at only $550.00 its a no brainer!  8)

Chris

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:17 pm »
Thanks for all the responses!

Still haven't made up my mind. Haven't seen any "Cyber Monday" deals on any of the ones I'm thinking of, so I guess I don't need to rush into a decision. Tempted by either the Marantz at Access 4 less or the Outlaw. Outlaw seems like such a good deal, but I couldn't believe how much difference Audyssey made in my room. Wish I had more space to work with, but I just don't, otherwise I could move speakers around a bit and add more treatments. I know how big of a difference it made at my old location (and it was pretty limited there).

I get so jealous when I walk into stereo/HT rooms that are big enough so that the front speakers are 6+ feet from the wall behind them and there is still enough room left over so that you're not forced into a near field listening environment. Sigh.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:41 pm »
You could look for a used Emotiva umc-200 pre/pro which has proprietary room correction.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-umc-200-preampprocessor-page-2#Plkh78qhpBOjTdIC.97

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:06 pm »

I get so jealous when I walk into stereo/HT rooms that are big enough so that the front speakers are 6+ feet from the wall behind them and there is still enough room left over so that you're not forced into a near field listening environment. Sigh.

I have a nice main room but don't have room to put the speakers that far out into the listening room (without looking silly and being non-functional) but have some room.  I bought (years back) Owens Corning 703 with Micro Suede covers and built stands from oak with 1x4s on the sides (to hold them up) and 1x6s on the bottom.  I have a couple behind each front speaker.  It wasn't horribly expensive (forgot at the moment where I got them online but there are other sites that sell similar things) and it helps.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:08 pm »
In my old house the room configuration let me move the speakers out a drop more and my main issue was the old audio furniture (now in a spare room) that had glass doors and was taller than the above current room.  So I used the treatments in between the cabinet and speakers (and it is easier to see the stands I built for the treatments)

old house

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:35 pm »
I have a nice main room but don't have room to put the speakers that far out into the listening room (without looking silly and being non-functional) but have some room.  I bought (years back) Owens Corning 703 with Micro Suede covers and built stands from oak with 1x4s on the sides (to hold them up) and 1x6s on the bottom.  I have a couple behind each front speaker.  It wasn't horribly expensive (forgot at the moment where I got them online but there are other sites that sell similar things) and it helps.

I have had this vision for years now of what I want my ideal Audio/HT room would look like. Skiman1's room comes pretty darn close...

Plenty of room behind the speakers and the screen drops down between them. Center sits just below where the screens stops and angled slightly upwards.

Not sure if it's a perfect solution, but it comes close IMHO.

Sigh.... :green:

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:45 pm »
I have a (92 inch) drop down screen in the bedroom (watched Sunday Night Football last).  I keep a 32 inch TV in there if I want to watch the news or something.  I had a huge 55 inch TV hung on the bedroom wall in the old place before the move and went through various speaker configurations with the last one being the left and right wall mounted.  It sort of overwhelmed the room so I opted for in-ceiling speakers all the way around in the new place (pic of bedroom screen below).  I live with the rooms the way they are and just get components and speakers that fit within the room.  If I had a dedicated room built for audio it would be different.