Re: RIP John Geils of the J. Geils Band
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2017, 02:45 am »
A personal favorite:  'Live' Full House
RIP and thanks for the energy, J.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Full_House

decal

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm »
Great band, too bad most folks only know them from their 80's stuff.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2017, 03:47 pm »
Great band, too bad most folks only know them from their 80's stuff.

Peter Wolf (their singer) left in '85 and for the last 30 years, Geils wasn't doing the music thing according to NPR.

pconley2

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2017, 06:16 pm »
One of the best live acts I have ever seen, as they said "blow your face out"

Their first two albums are very good high energy R&B and blues but sedate compared to their third album, Full House, which always goes to the top of my live concert LP list, above Who live at Leeds, Allman's at Fillmore East and others, all of which are great and not to be missed but to hear Peter Wolf, Magic Dick, Seth Justman, Danny Klein, the unbelievable Stephen Jo Bladd (on drums) and the late, lamented J.Geils on guitar was a treat to the eyes and ears.

It is sad that they achieved their fame with their later, to my mind, less good records just shows how fickle fate can be, but to anyone who hasn't heard Full House, I guarantee that you will be astonished, more so, knowing that they were going to do that again and the again  the next night and the night after.

As Peter Wolf says on Full House "play your guitar, J"

Rock on!

jschwenker

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2017, 08:30 pm »
Thanks for the good write-up, pconley2.

A note on formats.  While much of the time I have a general preference for vinyl, I am in full support of folks getting their exposure to a work via CD, especially if it is what they do or if it is handy.  In this case (Full House) I am amazed and even perplexed by an exceptionally large difference between the two I have had.  The LP is very solid, dynamic and full sounding where the CD I had sounded quite brutally harsh.  Don't know what unusual things might have happened there but I threw that CD out some time ago, rather than give it to friends or even trade it in...  (could indeed have been an exceptional case of 'loudness war' type mastering)

Cheers,  John

pconley2

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2017, 09:16 pm »
John, I agree that versions matter.  I have 4 versions of Full House (it is that important to me).  I, too , have the Atlantic CD (poor sounding), I also have a Rhino Anthology (J.Geils Anthology), this is good sounding for a cd.  I also have an older Atlantic LP (close to an original pressing, and possibly is one) and a more recent Steve Hoffman Audio Fidelity pressing, which is superb.  However the Steve Hoffman pressing, for unknown reasons changes the order of the songs, which is disconcerting to me as I know the album so well.

If you can find the Hoffman pressing, I strongly urge you to get it.

Phil

jschwenker

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2017, 10:56 pm »
Thanks Phil -- very cool.  Got that Steve Hoffman unit a prominent place on my sniffing around list.

Suppose we should also give a good call out to "Blow Your Face Out".  Double live album, 1975 recordings in Boston Garden and Detroit Cobo, same lineup as FH.  Many respondents to some music rating sites rate both efforts as high or higher than any other Geils albums... and... says it right on the jacket: MADE LOUD TO PLAY LOUD  8)

Yers,  John

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2017, 11:58 pm »
" Take out your false teeth momma, I wanna suck on your gums."

decal

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2017, 12:04 am »

Peter Wolf (their singer) left in '85 and for the last 30 years, Geils wasn't doing the music thing according to NPR.

I was referring to their pre 80's music but thanks for sharing.

jschwenker

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2017, 02:53 am »
"Poppin' pills by morning
Drinkin' booze at night
Three days later baby
You're such a ugly sight"
(Serves You Right To Suffer)

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2017, 05:59 am »
Too bad - -agreed with others on "Full House" : great live album. I especially like their version of "first I look at the purse".

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2017, 11:49 am »
I saw these guys back in 1970 at one of those outdoor festival type events so popular then. There were probably a dozen bands on the bill. J.Geils and Johnny Winter are the only bands I remember that weekend.