« on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:20 pm »
1. Under $30

2 .Around $50

3. Under $100

What are your favorites?

roscoeiii

Re: Cheep Headphones - Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:45 pm »
What kind of headphones we talking about here?

IEMs? Cans? If cans, open or closed backs?

raysracing

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2013, 05:24 pm »
3. Used Grado SR80's. Not overly bassy, but they dont fit my head that well and the pads could probably be replaced. They arent super soft (anymore). My only real complaint is the stiff, heavy cord. Pretty much makes them impossible to use except sitting still in a chair.

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2013, 05:39 pm »
The JVC HA-S400 for $30 bucks where the headphones to get last year at this time. Lots of threads on many forums about these.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112485.0

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2013, 09:10 pm »
The JVC HA-S400 for $30 bucks where the headphones to get last year at this time. Lots of threads on many forums about these.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112485.0

Got several JVC headphones incl. HARX500 and agree they sound excellent for the money.

Just got these Panasonic IEMs for my exercise from Amazon for $13. I didn't IEMs could sound this good. About.com review here:

http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/ss/5-Great-Cheap-Audio-Gifts-Under-25_5.htm

Wirecutter did a 150 headphone comparison and they came out best under $30:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-30/

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2013, 09:28 pm »
1. Under $30

2 .Around $50

3. Under $100

What are your favorites?

Sony MDR 7506.  They even sound good when using a laptop computer. About 80.00 from Amazon or Pro Audio Star.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2013, 12:06 am »
I like the Sennheiser HD 203 for a C&C headphone.  $50 retail, but always on sale, $38 on Amazon now.  Not as good as more expensive models, but good bass and comfortable to wear for longer periods.  Sennheiser house sound for cheap, a little less detailed than the 500 line.  Audio-Technica ATH-M50 at the $100 level, just because.

gary

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2013, 02:38 am »
For IEMs in the under $30 range I don't think Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 can be beat (I think they're still $29 w/ free shipping at Amazon). They are really, really good.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:16 am »
I just ordered the Panasonic that wushuliu recommended. That should hold me for bit until I can figure out what I want in a pair of open back headphones. The $30 Audio Techinca look interesting but I didn't want the noise cancelling box.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:32 am »
There is a lot of options for guys with limited budget:

Monoprice MHP-839  -  $30
Samson SR850  -  $50
Panasonic RP-HTF600  Around $30

and the RX700. Some of my favorites.

2gumby2

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2013, 04:11 am »
I think the Koss Porta Pro is a great value for under $50.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2013, 11:54 am »
What do you guys think about the Grado SR 80i for the $100 level?  I'm thinking of getting these myself as my personal go to phones for my bedroom system, and as a recommendation for the op at that level.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2013, 02:18 am »
The SR80 are good value headphones, specially with L-Cush pads. Are you into rock genres and such? Are you aware of the sound leakage of the grado, right?

yeldarb

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2013, 02:40 am »
AT AD700 are comfy,  Sound good but not for bass heads,  Old model might be better than the new.

And if you are willing to play, Fostex T50 RP or the 40.  Not bad after 4 hours break in, but if you are willing to mod, even a little, they can sound much better.

Both are around $100, so not so cheap.  And the Fostex need some power.  My laptop will barely satisfy.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2013, 04:15 am »
 Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

I purchased  them few months ago ( $ 55 at Amazon's ). In terms of sonics I do prefer them over my JVC HARX900.

Check it out what guys at Head-Fi are saying

The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2013, 10:24 am »
The SR80 are good value headphones, specially with L-Cush pads. Are you into rock genres and such? Are you aware of the sound leakage of the grado, right?

Yeah, I know the issues, that's why......

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

I purchased  them few months ago ( $ 55 at Amazon's ). In terms of sonics I do prefer them over my JVC HARX900.

Funny, I just purchased the JVC HARX900 based on the reviews on Head-Fi, should arrive Thursday with Prime shipping.  The mods looked fun to play with.

I may still try the Grados, but I liked the idea of full comfort, great sound, and the ability to easily and cheaply mod for higher performance.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm »
Here's 2 of my favorites in the inexpensive and portable categories. Koss Sportapro's (@$25) and Koss Porta-Pro's (@$50). Excellent sound for the road.  The best part is that, if they break you can send them back to Koss with a $9 check for a full replacement, in perpetuity. I've replaced mine about 5 times in the last 10 years when the connector failed - they get heavy use on my commute each day.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:30 pm »
Got the JVC cans today and even after just 3 hrs or so of playing I'm quite impressed.  From distant memory I like them at least as much as the Sennheiser 598's I had been lusting after.  They're suppose to open up after 100 hrs and with some mods as well.  Hard to go wrong at $58 free 2 day Prime shipping.  Cheap and Cheerful rules!!!

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2013, 04:37 pm »
I think the Koss Porta Pro is a great value for under $50.

Ditto on the Porto Pro. I was really surprised by how much I liked these. Use them at work a lot since I can still hear when someone is calling or walks into my office. I find them quite comfortable and don't overheat my head like full cans tend to do.

FYI... sign up for the Koss newsletter and you'll periodically get 15-20% discount codes and free shipping offers. I think I got mine for $30. I'd avoid resellers as I've read stories about cheap knock-offs that don't last (and probably are not covered by the Koss lifetime warranty).

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2013, 04:51 pm »
My first set of headphones was a set of the Koss Porta-Pros.  Back in the mid to late 80's.

I liked them, but once I discovered the bass was more prominent if you pushed them against your ears, I was hooked on finding a better solution.

They were good though, and likely are today too.  I last had modded Grado's that I liked a lot, but listened less with headphones once the basement got finished, so when working from home I just put on the 2 channel setup.