ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

JG2

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1640 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:41 pm »
Don't know if any of you snagged the TS top getter 5U4G, but it has sold on E-Bay!~

boynamedsue

« Reply #1641 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:53 am »
I realize I am reviving an old thread. I am seeking advice on a problem I am having with the MWTP. I am getting no sound out of my analog output (both XLR and RCA). Digital output is working fine. The two output tubes are lighting up, but the rectifier isn't. I tried two different rectifiers (stock modwright and EML mesh) and they both don't light up, so I think its a problem with the MWTP and not the tubes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

funkmonkey

« Reply #1642 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:13 am »
Mine does the same thing every so often, but when I wiggle the rectified a little, it lights back up...  dirty pins in my case, yours may be a little more than that...  I would remove the cover and visually check for any loose wires.  If nothing looks out of place I would test some connections by very gently pulling on some wires (starting at the Rect tube socket) and tracing the path as far as I could...  Or just call Dan and see about sending it in for repair. 

Also, try a third rectifier if you have one, it's unlikely but not impossible that the two you tried are bad.

Good luck

boynamedsue

« Reply #1643 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:44 am »
@ funkmonkey, thanks so much for the advice. I am happy and much relieved to say that I replaced the fuse (3.15amp, 5x20mm, slow from radio shack) today and now getting sound from the analog outs. This thread was helpful in directing me to the possibility of a blown fuse.

I took delivery of this unit yesterday and I am hearing the analog MWTP for first time and it is very impressive.

RodneyMarion

« Reply #1644 on: 5 Oct 2012, 08:10 pm »
That's great news!

bgilchrist

« Reply #1645 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:10 pm »
Sorry for posting this as a reply -- but as a newly joined member - I can't post a new message & I'm hoping I can get some direction with a problem I'm having with tube rolling on the transporter.

I bought a set of Black Treasure 6SN7 tubes and a pair of 8(f) to 9(m) pin socket adapters (tried to find the Bolder adapters - but it seems they are NLA) --

Installing them in the transporter -- I get no sound & the tubes don't heat up -- took the tubes and had them tested -- Tubes are fine -- but it seems the adapters have a short (according to the tube tester when testing them as 6CG7 tubes ( tube and adapter together ) 

Does anyone know where I can source a proper pair of adapters from a reliable source (new or used) -- for use with a 6SN7 tube - in a 6CG7 socket.  Ebay shows several sources -- but that's where I got the last set -- which don't work.  Any help or direction would be appreciated

thanks

Bart 

T42

« Reply #1646 on: 16 May 2015, 12:26 pm »
Hi Bart, did you manage to source the correct adapters?

ajhess

« Reply #1647 on: 9 Aug 2016, 09:25 pm »
Is anyone still there? I'm a newbie here and I have a Transporter/Modwright. I wouldn't mind some tube advice.

If anyone is there...

hello...?

Shredder

« Reply #1648 on: 1 Nov 2016, 07:41 pm »
Hey there. I am no audio expert, but I have owned the MWTP for 8 years and have rolled many a tube. Fire away.....

ajhess

« Reply #1649 on: 6 Jan 2019, 11:10 pm »
Hey there. I am no audio expert, but I have owned the MWTP for 8 years and have rolled many a tube. Fire away.....

Well, I guess I should check this forum more often.  :duh:

Okay, I'm in a new position, so here goes:
My MWTP started popping at unexpected times--very loud and scary. I realized that it would make the pop if I tapped one of the tubes. Luckily, I had another set and was able to resolve the problem.

The issue is that I don't like the sound as much as I did before. I had CV181-Zs (Shuguang Black Treasures?) and a 5u4GB GE rectifier (according to the box, although the tube says Dumont-Emerson).

Now I have the same rectifier and Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB tubes.

So, I'm willing to put some $$ into getting great sound again. I don't want go down the rabbit hole of tube rolling, but am willing to upgrade. Where would you put the $$? Get new CV181-Zs? Change rectifier?

Advice?
Thanks!

jriggy

« Reply #1650 on: 7 Jan 2019, 03:07 am »
Hi ajhess,

If you liked the Black Treasures get them again. I used them in MWTP and another of Dan’s tube stages. You’ll also get a bigger sonic change with the two signal tubes than the rectifier. But if you wanted to change both try the EML recti mention in this thread somewhere.

ajhess

« Reply #1651 on: 8 Jan 2019, 10:10 pm »
It's great to be getting some guidance on this. I'm trying to read through this thread as quickly as possible (I'm on page 16--this is dense stuff!). In the meantime, I could use some feedback:

Is there any opinion on the Dumont-Emerson rectifier I have and, for that matter, the Tung-Sols?

From reading the thread, it sounds as if the rectifier makes a real difference. But the $$ for the EML??? Yikes!! Any other candidates for best bang for the buck rectifier?

Only one of my Black Treasures seemed to be subject to the popping sounds--could I get away with buying only one new BT or do I need matched pairs?

Okay, thanks. Now I'm going back to read the thread.   :)

Artp

« Reply #1652 on: 9 Jan 2019, 03:38 pm »
Give the Sophia Aqua 274B a try. Its a direct replacement for any of the 5AR4/5U4G family of tubes. I use one in the PS 9.0 in my OPPO 205 and it made a dramatic difference. See the other online reviews for more info....

ajhess

« Reply #1653 on: 10 Jan 2019, 12:39 pm »
Update:

I'm on page 30 of the thread! Struggling to keep the codes/numbers straight. Here's my current thoughts on the rectifier:

I assumed the GE box was for the rectifier, but GE is not Dumont-Emerson. I'm not finding any info on the DE tube that I have. Is it any good? I'm starting to talk myself into getting the EML Mesh, especially if my current tube is meh.

Does it make sense to put $$  into the rectifier, then maybe save $ on RCA Cleartops? That combo seems to work well, and I'd save on the Black Treasures. (I'm also thinking that I could talk myself into a LITTLE BIT of tube rolling by getting RCAs and BTs).

ajhess

« Reply #1654 on: 12 Jan 2019, 12:32 pm »
Okay, update update (man, this thread has quieted down! Has everyone's MWTP died, or are you all happily listening to music and done with tube rolling?!?  :o

I've read through this forum and I'm talking myself into the EML Mesh. I emailed Dan (very patient, thanks, Dan) and he confirms that I have lowered voltage (.2 ohm resister in place) and 22uf caps.  :thumb: I take this as a sign that I was MEANT to have the EMLs. Are people out there still happy/safe with the EMLs?

Questions:

Since I think I still have one good Black Treasure, I'd love it if I could get by with getting just one to replace my wonky one. Is that doable? I'm in Brooklyn. Could I bring my BT and have it matched somewhere around here? I also wouldn't mind having the bad one checked. The box is from TheTubeStore and has a "matched and balanced" sticker with a "20" on it. Does that help?

Anyone in Brooklyn want to come by with some tubes and help this tube newbie (tewbie?) try some stuff out? There's good beer in it for you!  :)

I have the Tung Sol 6SN7 red base Russian tubes. How good are these in comparison to the other 6SN7s people have mentioned in this thread?

Finally I can't find anything on the rectifier I'm using - a Dumont-Emerson 3222-14-3 (see pic). Does anyone know anything about it? I'm hoping it's really crappy, so I can look forward to the huge change with the EML!

System (for anyone who is interested)
I have a Sony TA4650 VFET amp that I bought in '76 (my first entry into audio). When it died a few years ago, I ended up recapping it troubleshooting, and putting in the diodes mods that will keep it healthy. I feed the MWTP to the amp section. It will be buried with me.

MWTP with a Raspberry Pi/LMS/touchscreen console and FLAC ripped music.

Totem Hawk speakers.

dminches

« Reply #1655 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:01 pm »
Since I think I still have one good Black Treasure, I'd love it if I could get by with getting just one to replace my wonky one. Is that doable? I'm in Brooklyn. Could I bring my BT and have it matched somewhere around here? I also wouldn't mind having the bad one checked. The box is from TheTubeStore and has a "matched and balanced" sticker with a "20" on it. Does that help?

Anyone in Brooklyn want to come by with some tubes and help this tube newbie (tewbie?) try some stuff out? There's good beer in it for you!  :)

I have the Tung Sol 6SN7 red base Russian tubes. How good are these in comparison to the other 6SN7s people have mentioned in this thread?

Just my opinion...

You can buy a pair of NOS Tung Sols for $100 which would be as nice as your black treasures and significantly better than the new production Tung Sols.

I used to own a MW Transporter and used to have a pair of Black Treasures but never found them to be nicer than old production tubes.

ajhess

« Reply #1656 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:11 pm »
It seems that there are so many types of Tung-Sols (I have a pair). And I don't want to pay $450 for the round plates. Which do you recommend? Again, I'm trying to avoid going down the tube rolling rabbit hole.

dminches

« Reply #1657 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:22 pm »
It seems that there are so many types of Tung-Sols (I have a pair). And I don't want to pay $450 for the round plates. Which do you recommend? Again, I'm trying to avoid going down the tube rolling rabbit hole.

It is really personal taste but I have enjoyed a pair like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Pair-Tung-sol-JAN-CTL-6SN7W-WGTA-Tubes-Brown-Base-Chrome-Top-Vt-231-5692/183627224605?hash=item2ac109161d:g:JnoAAOSwOWdcNSYQ

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #1658 on: 13 Jan 2019, 03:43 pm »
ajhess, tube rolling can be a black hole one goes into with this hobby. If you like how the Shuguang Black Treasure 6sn7 sounded with the Dumont rectifier, then go back to that as a starting point. I'm assuming the "noisy" tube was one of the 6sn7s.  If that's the case, leave the rectifier in place, and purchase another pair of the 6sn7s. That gets you back to where you were, and gives you something to compare other tubes to directly. Then you can think about trying other 6sn7s and rectifiers.

Personally, I don't see a need to purchase a $300 rectifier at this moment in time, but I don't want to tell you how to spend your money.  There are plenty of quality rectifiers available for much less money.  Send Dan an email and verify exactly what rectifiers can and cannot be used with this device.  Get clarity on that first, then contact someone like Andy at Vintage Tube Services and ask him for advise.  He won't recommend a $300 tube when a $40 tube will work as well. 

Tube rolling can be very system specific.  What others hear from tube "x" may not be what you hear in your system.  Get back to square one, then slowly make changes.

ajhess

« Reply #1659 on: 13 Jan 2019, 06:00 pm »
Great advice. I'll report back.

Thanks, all!