Extension cable..

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Extension cable..
« on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:47 pm »
Looking for recommendations for headphone extension cable. 10 ft or so..
I'm aware that they sell one but not a fan of grado.
Thanks!
Bob2

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Extension cable..
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:14 pm »
$40 for my stock HE400 cable: 10ft long of Jap Canare cable.
+ship + paypal 8%, triple boxed, mint condition as I use a silver short cable.

Bob2

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:33 pm »
FullRangeMan,
I do appreciate that offer but I just purchased a real dandy cable a couple of minutes ago before logging in here.
Thanks!

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2015, 09:56 pm »
Hey Bob2,

Where did you end up ordering the cable from?  $?  Thanks.

Blu99Zoomer

Bob2

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2015, 10:18 pm »
I purchased a Mogami Gold EXT 10 from amazon for $64.99.
Had decent fittings, good reviews. Will know how good real soon!

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2015, 08:44 am »
I'm sure it's a solid cable, but the reviews on Amazon are making me cringe.  :duh:

Bob2

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2015, 09:47 am »
I'm sure it's a solid cable, but the reviews on Amazon are making me cringe.  :duh:

I know, all of the reviews are 5 Stars!  :o

The folks over on Head-Fi seem to like this cable so I thought I would give it a try.

What would you recommend ajzepp?

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2015, 09:59 am »
I know, all of the reviews are 5 Stars!  :o

The folks over on Head-Fi seem to like this cable so I thought I would give it a try.

What would you recommend ajzepp?

Well, I have gone three different ways and like all of 'em. I have a couple of the (cover you ears!) Grado cables...then Drew at Moon audio put together an extension for  my Beyer T1s out of another stock T1 cable...and then I also have a 20' cable that BlueJeansCable made for my Audeze LCD-X. That one isn't technically an extension cable, though, cause it's connects directly to the LCD-X. I'm typically not one who buys cables for sonic considerations, I just like something well built and durable, and that provides a nice secure connection over distance.

Bob2

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2015, 10:11 am »
I have read that the grado cable is  really good. After an episode with some very poor customer service I'm not going to deal with them again..

BlueJeans cables, I would not have thought of them! I'll take a look.

I'm with you about "sonic" capabilities. I just wanted a decent cable that will hold up well.

Thanks for your thoughts!

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2015, 10:35 am »
I'm not keen on poor customer service either, so I can certainly understand if that's why you're not interested in their products.

And yeah, BlueJeans just asked me to have Audeze send them the specs on the cable (which Audeze gladly did) and they just made it custom for me to those specs...I love that company.

If the head-fi crowd suggested the Mogami, I trust their judgment for sure. Do let us know how you like it  :thumb:

Bob2

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2015, 10:56 pm »
Well the Mogami cable arrived today. Swaddled in that familiar manila envelope that Amazon See's fit to use for such things.

Cable has some nice connectors.

In fact the male connector is the same as used by Beyer on my T1's.
Cable itself seems a bit smaller than the cable on the T1's.
While I would not consider it totally flaccid I didn't find it too stiff either.... hm mm.

So I fired up the trusty Woo WA6 and plugged in.

So after testing for exactly 6 minutes and 17 seconds (3.75 minutes was while playing air guitar)  I formed an opinion, mine and mine alone.. mind you!
I found that the addition of this cable neither added to nor took away anything from the signal
My apologies if any were looking for real scientific data to back this up, no plots, charts, graphs of any kind are offered up for your inspection.. although I did use the L. A. R. principle to aid in my conclusions.

It would seem that this cable does indeed do what I had hoped for. Let me listen from another 10 feet away. Mission accomplished!

I would say that if one were looking for a reasonably priced cable, 65 clams, then one should take a look at the Mogami headphone extension.
After all, as the label states this is  "The Cable of the Pros".

If there should be any changes in how this cable sounds I shall announce my thoughts posthaste.

Many thanks to all that have participated in this thread!

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2015, 02:54 am »
Bob2, is that woodwork on the Woo custom?

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2015, 11:42 am »
Great job letting us in on the process of the search, and the results.

Years ago I had a modded set of Grado headphones recabled with cryo'd Mogami and was very happy.

Bob2

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2015, 01:41 pm »
mcgsxr,
thanks! The cable sounds very neutral to me but may not to someone else. .
Great to hear that you were pleased with the recable!

dB Cooper,
yes that is an African wood called Padauk. I did that a couple of years ago.
Thanks for asking!

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2015, 03:53 pm »
Hi Bob2,

Glad to hear you are happy with the Mogami Gold wire.  I have had an XLR terminated set for a few years and am very impressed with their sound in my system as an interconnect.  When I think about re-cabling my headphones, I will have to think about getting some to make up the new cables.  Was the padauk mod on the amp difficult?  Looks like it matches the furniture...

Best,

Blu99Zoomer