AvsFan

« on: 20 Sep 2017, 03:29 pm »
Just saying hi as I am new to the forum.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2017, 05:14 pm »
Welcome AvsFan  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2017, 05:54 pm »
Welcome!

AvsFan

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2017, 08:28 pm »
Thanks guys. I came here for help in building a home theater/2 channel audio system. I am having a new home built and dedicated room for a theater but 2 channel audio is a major priority.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2017, 09:42 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC AvsFan    :thumb: 

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2017, 01:23 am »
Welcome to the sweet spot. We like knowing about our new members, their systems, their likes in music, and pictures are always a big hit.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2017, 10:28 am »
The ideal room for HT is different (wider) than for audio.  Square rooms are prone to be bass boomy.

Would you be using the same system for audio and HT? 

IMO:  Highly doable in the mid-fi range (say $2-4000 MSRP for the entire system).  Audio and HT priorities differ enough to make it tough to have gear effectively doing double duty on high end systems.  And too many compromises on the lower end to sacrifice quality for additional channels.

HT is a low priority to me, so I had a modest 2.1 combined system many years ago.  Still have and love the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 speakers (tuneful yet dynamic, image like absolute champs, horrible finish but super high content value).  The Rotel receiver was a crappy build and a sonic dog.  Cheaper Harmon Kardon and Sony receivers were/are way better. 

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm »
Welcome to AC, AvsFan