Ok LGK 1.0 in a tube type enclosure....

Trismos

Ok LGK 1.0 in a tube type enclosure....
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:27 am »
I have very little real estate on my desk but was thinking of the LGK. Just a little too deep as per the design plans. But I could run a curly tube type thing behind my monitors. As long as the volume of air is the same, could / should I use the same network as the LGK?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Ok LGK 1.0 in a tube type enclosure....
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:42 am »
Keep the baffle width the same, and it should work.

Trismos

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:06 am »
Not much of a baffle width to begin with. I thought the network might be more to compensate for the volume of the cabinet vs the actual speaker measurements?

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:16 am »
I don't remember if the LGK has a baffle step comp built in (and I'm too lazy to go find my copy of it).  Danny usually does. If so, baffle width is important. 

Trismos

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:29 am »
I see speakers enclosed in globes and I'm reminded of the B&W speaker in a "shell with a tail" type thing. If this speaker is at all any good, surely we can think outside the box. As it were.

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:35 am »
It's not a question of if it's any good, it more a question of how much bass you are attempting to get out of a 3" driver.  With baffle step compensation, you sacrifice some sensitivity for an extra 5-10 hz of bass.  If you don't care about that you can run it with no circuitry whatsoever.  It will still be clean in the mid bass and up- of course the port length will no longer be optimal.

Trismos

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:39 am »
It's not a question of if it's any good, it more a question of how much bass you are attempting to get out of a 3" driver.  With baffle step compensation, you sacrifice some sensitivity for an extra 5-10 hz of bass.  If you don't care about that you can run it with no circuitry whatsoever.  It will still be clean in the mid bass and up- of course the port length will no longer be optimal.

I probably shouldn't have phrased it quite that way. I know this driver is good. I was thinking there are other ways optimize the bass, if the tube acts as a transmission line for example? And I would have a sub under the desk anyways.

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:46 am »
A transmission line with this driver intrigues me as well.  I asked Danny about one when it first came out, but nothing came of it.  Hey, Danny- got time to make some TL plans?  I'll build a test mule for it and send it you way if your interested.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:19 am »
I have very little real estate on my desk but was thinking of the LGK. Just a little too deep as per the design plans. But I could run a curly tube type thing behind my monitors. As long as the volume of air is the same, could / should I use the same network as the LGK?

With the baffle shape going to almost zero then the compensation filter might need a slight adjustment. It would be pretty close though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:22 am »
A transmission line with this driver intrigues me as well.  I asked Danny about one when it first came out, but nothing came of it.  Hey, Danny- got time to make some TL plans?  I'll build a test mule for it and send it you way if your interested.

Make it out of PVC and you can slide the tubes around until you hit the tuning frequency that you're looking for. Then after you have that you can twist it into any curved shape that you want.