BDP-2 Digital Player

XMAN

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1800 on: 9 Feb 2017, 07:29 pm »
Are you certain you have the correct ip address?

I have Windows 10 also and have no issues getting to my bdp2. Nothing special, just shows up under network. No home group set up or anything like that.

I did set up my router to allocate the same ip address every time the bdp2 connects. By default, most routers will dynamically assign an ip address each time a device connects. If that happens, you will not usually get the same ip address two times in a row.

You can check the ip address the bdp is using with the arrows on the front display. I THINK it's down, left, left (that was my interpretation from the last page on the most recent manual anyway).

Thanks for that but ya I'm sure I have the correct ip I have an app on my iPad  I guess see I need to give Bryston a call

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1801 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:30 am »
Thanks for that but ya I'm sure I have the correct ip I have an app on my iPad  I guess see I need to give Bryston a call

You can browse to the bdp's interface via your computers browser? and have check to see samba service is on, on the BDP?

XMAN

« Reply #1802 on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:57 am »
You can browse to the bdp's interface via your computers browser? and have check to see samba service is on, on the BDP?

Ya i was able to mount the drive and format it.  The drive appears in the media player and dish information.  Where do i check for the samba service? I ran a network check and it came up with this

XMAN

« Reply #1803 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:12 am »
Nevermind i found the samba and that seems to have been the problem thanks Chris

Cheers X

XMAN

« Reply #1804 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:43 am »
Just one more thing i hope  :) what setting do i need to check off for the art to show up in the media player.  I have a music file on the drive and can play it but no art in the mp.  I didn't have a problem with the external drive the art was perfect.

Update i got the art working but now it won't play the file  :scratch:

Barry in Calgary

Question about How Files are Played
« Reply #1805 on: 11 Feb 2017, 04:53 am »
Hi

I keep all my music on a portable spinning USB hard drive.  My friend (another BDP2 owner) and I were discussing the merits of using an external SSD.  During the conversation we realized we didn't know if the music files were read from the hard drive during playback or were loaded in memory prior to playback and played back from memory.

If read from the hard drive, we thought it make make sense to use an SSD, either internal or external, to obtain the best sound quality. If loaded into memory first, we assumed the type of file storage we used wouldn't be as critical.

We were wondering if anyone knows how files are played back and which storage type would be the optimal.
I was hoping I could get away with external SSD storage if the external spinning hard disk wasn't optimum.

Regards
Barry

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Question about How Files are Played
« Reply #1806 on: 11 Feb 2017, 06:14 am »
Hi

I keep all my music on a portable spinning USB hard drive.  My friend (another BDP2 owner) and I were discussing the merits of using an external SSD.  During the conversation we realized we didn't know if the music files were read from the hard drive during playback or were loaded in memory prior to playback and played back from memory.

If read from the hard drive, we thought it make make sense to use an SSD, either internal or external, to obtain the best sound quality. If loaded into memory first, we assumed the type of file storage we used wouldn't be as critical.

We were wondering if anyone knows how files are played back and which storage type would be the optimal.
I was hoping I could get away with external SSD storage if the external spinning hard disk wasn't optimum.

Regards
Barry

The BDP buffers the first bit of the actual file (regardless of type) into system memory before it starts playing.  As it plays it decodes the file in to raw pcm/dsd that is buffered into system memory long before you actually here it.  The BDP-2 has so much system memory available for this task you can pull a usb thumb drive while playing from it (not that this is recommended) and it should continue to play until the system realizes the drive was yanked (usually 10-15 seconds).  If the daemon responsible for drive detection and updating the library were to be disabled you could likely listen to about 8 minutes of 192khz 24bit data before it emptied its buffer. 

Regardless of the digital system i can't see any other system working any other way, i think the difference would be the amount of system memory made available for buffering the pcm or dsd data would be limited on systems not running stripped down linux systems.

Cheers,
Chris

XMAN

Re: Question about How Files are Played
« Reply #1807 on: 11 Feb 2017, 06:47 am »
Hi

Regards
Barry

I find my external ssd (an internal converted) sounds much better than my regular external hard drive. 

Hoiman

« Reply #1808 on: 11 Feb 2017, 07:49 am »
I heard from the brand Melco that it's a very difficult to read music from a SSD (something has to do with the way the harddisks are build and handling the data and that you can't use the same way to read this files something with jitter and clock synchron..) and becaue of that they had to make two different devices, one for SSD (cost also as twice as the one with normal HDD).

How is this BDP-2 handling the difference between SSD and HDD?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1809 on: 11 Feb 2017, 11:15 am »
I heard from the brand Melco that it's a very difficult to read music from a SSD (something has to do with the way the harddisks are build and handling the data and that you can't use the same way to read this files something with jitter and clock synchron..) and becaue of that they had to make two different devices, one for SSD (cost also as twice as the one with normal HDD).

How is this BDP-2 handling the difference between SSD and HDD?

HI

That's a Chris question but I was only aware that SSD's are in fact a lot of tiny transistors and have more electrical noise than rotary type drives.  Never heard of the 'difficult to read music' issue before.  Do you hear a difference betweeb SSD and Rotary using the same file through your BDP?

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1810 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:16 pm »
I've used external G-Tech SSDs (1-TB/500-GB USB pocket drives) to feed my BDP-1. No noise issues or jamming (read-in problems). Will be interested in reading other peoples' experiences with direct comparisons between SSD and HDD (external only).

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1811 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:24 pm »
I've used external G-Tech SSDs (1-TB/500-GB USB pocket drives) to feed my BDP-1. No noise issues or jamming (read-in problems). Will be interested in reading other peoples' experiences with direct comparisons between SSD and HDD (external only).

Edit: My Correction: external HDD not SSD.

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-usb

Barry in Calgary

« Reply #1812 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:50 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for the quick answer James, if I'm reading you correctly then with at least a 10 second cache of music stored on the bdp2's memory then it shouldn't be too critical what sort of external storage is used.

I too have heard that SSDs must be carefully used as they can be 'electrically ' noisy. My portable WD passport drives are sonically noiseless, so that's not an issue.

Although many server manufacturers insist that SSDs sound best (internal) and I can't disagree since I've never done a comparison.  Often though they use enterprise drives, but I've always assumed that enterprise just meant mean time between failures was longer. Maybe this does translate to tighter tolerances which could imply less noise?

I too would be interested in hearing and learning from others experiences.

Regards Barry

XMAN

« Reply #1813 on: 11 Feb 2017, 03:39 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for the quick answer James, if I'm reading you correctly then with at least a 10 second cache of music stored on the bdp2's memory then it shouldn't be too critical what sort of external storage is used.

I too have heard that SSDs must be carefully used as they can be 'electrically ' noisy. My portable WD passport drives are sonically noiseless, so that's not an issue.

Although many server manufacturers insist that SSDs sound best (internal) and I can't disagree since I've never done a comparison.  Often though they use enterprise drives, but I've always assumed that enterprise just meant mean time between failures was longer. Maybe this does translate to tighter tolerances which could imply less noise?

I too would be interested in hearing and learning from others experiences.

Regards Barry

The portable WD passports are the drives i have as a comparison to the Samsung SSD pro internal that i have been running as an external and just yesterday internal.  The passports are a very quiet drive but the SSD still sounds better IMO.

Hoiman

« Reply #1814 on: 12 Feb 2017, 10:55 am »
Do you hear a difference betweeb SSD and Rotary using the same file through your BDP?

I don't know I don't own one yet ;-)

Since yesterday I have one that is staying over here for a few days to test and I was just wondering.

What I also looking for is an option to shuffle play through all or at least one diskdrive, does it have this option?
The playlist is limited to 300 songs or can I set this to a higher number?

I must say I'm really suprised what I hear, this BDP-2 really sounds good.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1815 on: 12 Feb 2017, 11:33 am »
I don't know I don't own one yet ;-)

Since yesterday I have one that is staying over here for a few days to test and I was just wondering.

What I also looking for is an option to shuffle play through all or at least one diskdrive, does it have this option?
The playlist is limited to 300 songs or can I set this to a higher number?

I must say I'm really surprised what I hear, this BDP-2 really sounds good.

Hi

Yes you can set the playlist higher if you wish.

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'one disc drive'? You can use one drive or many different drives.

The BDP-2 does sound great and its interesting as most people do not realize how different source computers can sound.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #1816 on: 12 Feb 2017, 12:12 pm »
Not sure I understand what you mean by 'one disc drive'? You can use one drive or many different drives.
What I mean is that I want to select a diskdrive and shuffle throu all the number on that drive and not via a playlist.

Yes you can set the playlist higher if you wish.

Ok , but I can't find out how to do this, can you tell me where in the menu I can set this option.
Already thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1817 on: 12 Feb 2017, 01:07 pm »
What I mean is that I want to select a diskdrive and shuffle throu all the number on that drive and not via a playlist.

Ok , but I can't find out how to do this, can you tell me where in the menu I can set this option.
Already thanks.

Hi

1.  Yes you can select a specific drive and play from it.

2. It is under MPD at the bottom of the DASHBOARD page in Manic Moose.  Click on that and you will see play list song numbers - change that and then hit SAVE.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #1818 on: 12 Feb 2017, 01:31 pm »
Found it, thanks for your quick reply.

zoom25

« Reply #1819 on: 12 Feb 2017, 07:20 pm »
The portable WD passports are the drives i have as a comparison to the Samsung SSD pro internal that i have been running as an external and just yesterday internal.  The passports are a very quiet drive but the SSD still sounds better IMO.

Thanks. That's actually helpful as I've been using the portable WD Passports for several years and they've gotten better at each stage. I haven't tried SSDs on the BDP, but have compared flash drives to the WD. This is the summation I have in my mind as of now:

Portable Hard drives - Massive storage. Perhaps not the best sounding storage (in comparison to flash so far). Best value.

SSD - Massive storage. Expensive. Better than hard drives, but electrically noisy?

Flash Drives - Best sound? Small storage and thus need for multiple drives. Expensive (per GB).